Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: The Happy 9/11 Thread!

Sun September 11, 2016 4:07 pm

My friend just sent me a picture of two Jenga towers he painted to look like the twin towers.

Sun September 11, 2016 4:22 pm

I was in one of my business classes and some people were chattering about something that happened right before they got into class. I think class ended early and everyone was in the break room/lounge area watching tv. Still unsure until we saw the second plane hit. Then we knew.

I couldnt wrap my head around it for quite some time. I think some classes were cancelled or became optional for the rest of the week. Most of the classes remaining were tied up with discussing the tragedy, almost like grief sessions.

Junior year of college.

Its kind of strange because 9/11 was also the beginning of the roughest period of my life. Shortly after that, a friend of mine hung himself, a month after that another acquaintance shot himself, then i went to italy to study abroad and my girlfriend at the time cheated on me with my friend (we were all in italy studying). I think a year later a kid i grew up with hung himself. Just crazy events that all kind of started around 9/11. Severe depression, change of schools, etc..etc..

Fucking Bin Laden.

Sun September 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Not to detract from your experience Strat, but I had a similar stretch of bad news around the same time. I think it's just that age -- lots of mental/emotional illnesses start rearing their heads in your 20s, and people are often away from home, trying to take care of themselves for the first time. I went through a similar run where it seemed like loved ones were dropping like flies.

Mon September 12, 2016 3:10 am

Rocket fuel lol

Mon September 12, 2016 3:17 am

lol

Mon September 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Mon September 12, 2016 7:50 pm

I was in a supermarket in Holloway with my brother, our parents were in India with our other brother. Heard in a q that a plane had crashed, only realised when we got home that a 2nd had hit and that this was no accident. Our parents had a caravan in Wales at the time and we were thinking of fleeing there, not such a bad idea considering 7/7 but we thought better of it.

Mon September 12, 2016 7:52 pm

I get my 9/11 story confused with my Katrina story. In one, it was raining, I know that.

Mon September 11, 2017 11:26 am

Happy anniversary.

Mon September 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Irma has kind of stole the time from the usual anniversary stories. It's amazing to think it's been 16 years though.

Tue September 12, 2017 2:29 am

tragabigzanda wrote:Not to detract from your experience Strat, but...

classic trag... :lol:

Tue September 12, 2017 4:21 am

Goddammit, this got me https://www.facebook.com/StoryCorps/vid ... 430098622/

Tue September 11, 2018 3:03 pm

My school did a moment of silence and then a tribute video made by the school's ROTC program this morning. No big deal, pretty standard fare until the video devolved into a diatribe of how "they" hate us for our freedom and because we're a beacon of democracy and liberty. I was floored. It was like it was like listening to the Bush administration in 2001/02 again. Five minutes of how we're strong and angry blah blah blah.

Tue September 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Did you offer a rebuttal?

Tue September 11, 2018 3:29 pm

doone wrote:Did you offer a rebuttal?

I try my best not to get on a soapbox and give my personal opinions. My facial expressions may have given me a way a bit but I had to even get that under control because the girl who narrated it was sitting in my class right then.

Tue September 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Biff Pocoroba wrote:I was in the Honolulu airport.
It's a long story.

I'm pretty sure that was my first big trip by myself.

Tue September 11, 2018 4:37 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Not to detract from your experience Strat, but I had a similar stretch of bad news around the same time. I think it's just that age -- lots of mental/emotional illnesses start rearing their heads in your 20s, and people are often away from home, trying to take care of themselves for the first time. I went through a similar run where it seemed like loved ones were dropping like flies.

thanks for detracting from my own experience and making it all about you two years ago to this date, trag.

Tue September 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:Not to detract from your experience Strat, but I had a similar stretch of bad news around the same time. I think it's just that age -- lots of mental/emotional illnesses start rearing their heads in your 20s, and people are often away from home, trying to take care of themselves for the first time. I went through a similar run where it seemed like loved ones were dropping like flies.

thanks for detracting from my own experience and making it all about you two years ago to this date, trag.

my pleasure!

Tue September 11, 2018 4:49 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

my pleasure!

I sure love you

Tue September 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

my pleasure!

I sure love you

Not to detract from your experience Strat, but I sure love you too.
Post a reply