The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 896
Huh.

*takes another look at the Political Meme thread*

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 7976
Location: Washington State
Is it meta if I laugh at your post about political memes making people laugh about things that seem ridiculous? The spiral gets out of hand around that point.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 9:49 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 35921
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
bune wrote:
Is it meta if I laugh at your post about political memes making people laugh about things that seem ridiculous? The spiral gets out of hand around that point.


Image

_________________
“The world is going insane!” they shout at an unhearing screen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 896
What I meant was that I didn’t realize that meme and hate cultures had blended to this extent. My idea of a “political meme” is the Bernie Sanders “If I have one dollar and you have 20 dollars, I have 21 dollars.” Guess I’m old, naive, or probably both.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 10:21 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 35921
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Most of us are probably but I wouldn't go to a fucking Vox article to figure it out.

_________________
“The world is going insane!” they shout at an unhearing screen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 10:24 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 5121
meatwad wrote:
What I meant was that I didn’t realize that meme and hate cultures had blended to this extent. My idea of a “political meme” is the Bernie Sanders “If I have one dollar and you have 20 dollars, I have 21 dollars.” Guess I’m old, naive, or probably both.


Side note: Black Sabbath records cause satanism.

Side side note: Porn turns u into a rapist

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 16466
Bi_3 wrote:
meatwad wrote:
What I meant was that I didn’t realize that meme and hate cultures had blended to this extent. My idea of a “political meme” is the Bernie Sanders “If I have one dollar and you have 20 dollars, I have 21 dollars.” Guess I’m old, naive, or probably both.


Side note: Black Sabbath records cause satanism.

Side side note: Porn turns u into a rapist

Ozzy Osbourne didn’t inspire a kid to shoot up his school, therefore the group that developed and spread the “It’s Okay to Be White” slogan because they thought it was a great way to make people angry at each other has no impact on white nationalist violence.

It's worth remembering that the descriptions on the previous page, and others which you are likely to hear going forward, are not about "all people who make or share political memes," but rather a specific internet subculture....the one that simmers around the chan sites.

In that context, the association with shitposting culture and intolerance is pretty naked.

Remember those four white power dudes that Rolling Stone tracked from their first racist posts on 4chan to the point where they joined the fucking Atomwaffen Division? And then one of them murdered two people? Remember how gleeful the chans were after they adopted the ‘OK’ white power hand symbol as a joke, and then the media fell over itself because the adoption made it more confusing to identify white power advocates? Remember when 4chan thought it was hilarious to try and coax undocumented immigrants into deportation traps with fake "free iced coffee" notices? Calling it Dreamer Day? To the point that Starbucks had to issue a statement about it? Or the channer who vowed on 4chan to kill any black people who remained on Howard University’s campus the next morning? Remember how posts scheming to spread disinformation were swamping 8chan within half an hour of Parkland? Including comments like “Hope the kid isn’t white,” and “Start looking for Jewish numerology and crisis actors?”

The most amazing thing about the “jokey racism on a website that specializes in mocking others and deriding empathy obviously doesn’t influence white nationalism and/or violence” argument is that it’s coming from the same group that thinks young college graduates are all unavoidably brainwashed if their professors trend liberal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 16466
ugh


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 1:09 am 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 35921
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Shapiro and others are always going on about not mentioning the names, pictures or thoughts of these shooters, but it seems pointless or wrong to me. For one thing, its unavoidable. For another, attempting to suppress it only makes people more suspicious and curious. For another, I don't think fame or attention is actually a big motivator in most of these shootings (this one excepted, but even in this case I'm leaning towards a much larger cause that's going to be with us for a very long time: nihilism and lack of purpose and place in the world).

It's not really preventable in any case, so we have to deal with the reality that killing lots of people to get your name/ideas out is just an effective strategy that has to be countered with more speech.

As for spinning narratives that try to pin blame on the other side, what else is new?

Quote:
Ozzy Osbourne didn’t inspire a kid to shoot up his school, therefore the group that developed and spread the “It’s Okay to Be White” slogan because they thought it was a great way to make people angry at each other has no impact on white nationalist violence.


Yes. Exactly. It would be insane to think something like the okay sign meme inspired this.

_________________
“The world is going insane!” they shout at an unhearing screen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 2:10 am 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 5121
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
meatwad wrote:
What I meant was that I didn’t realize that meme and hate cultures had blended to this extent. My idea of a “political meme” is the Bernie Sanders “If I have one dollar and you have 20 dollars, I have 21 dollars.” Guess I’m old, naive, or probably both.


Side note: Black Sabbath records cause satanism.

Side side note: Porn turns u into a rapist

Ozzy Osbourne didn’t inspire a kid to shoot up his school, therefore the group that developed and spread the “It’s Okay to Be White” slogan because they thought it was a great way to make people angry at each other has no impact on white nationalist violence.

It's worth remembering that the descriptions on the previous page, and others which you are likely to hear going forward, are not about "all people who make or share political memes," but rather a specific internet subculture....the one that simmers around the chan sites.

In that context, the association with shitposting culture and intolerance is pretty naked.

Remember those four white power dudes that Rolling Stone tracked from their first racist posts on 4chan to the point where they joined the fucking Atomwaffen Division? And then one of them murdered two people? Remember how gleeful the chans were after they adopted the ‘OK’ white power hand symbol as a joke, and then the media fell over itself because the adoption made it more confusing to identify white power advocates? Remember when 4chan thought it was hilarious to try and coax undocumented immigrants into deportation traps with fake "free iced coffee" notices? Calling it Dreamer Day? To the point that Starbucks had to issue a statement about it? Or the channer who vowed on 4chan to kill any black people who remained on Howard University’s campus the next morning? Remember how posts scheming to spread disinformation were swamping 8chan within half an hour of Parkland? Including comments like “Hope the kid isn’t white,” and “Start looking for Jewish numerology and crisis actors?”

The most amazing thing about the “jokey racism on a website that specializes in mocking others and deriding empathy obviously doesn’t influence white nationalism and/or violence” argument is that it’s coming from the same group that thinks young college graduates are all unavoidably brainwashed if their professors trend liberal.


You know that’s not what I meant. Just say online censorship is the answer. You’re 90% there.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 5:17 am 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 35921
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Turns out this was Chelsea Clinton's fault, not Pewdiepie's.

i'm done with Twitter.

_________________
“The world is going insane!” they shout at an unhearing screen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 24524


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 19419
Location: Hunter
I hope he is charged for punching a minor.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 24524
I’m confused on two fronts.
His press release is incitement to hatred. He isn’t arrested.
And he punches a minor. And isnt arrested.

Wtf??


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 19419
Location: Hunter
We're racist down here dude. And that kid needed to learn a lesson.
Spoiler: show
:shake:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 24524
So the kid can press charges for assault on him and the five yes five goons that assaulted him.
I hope to fuck he does



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 1:52 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 5121
dimejinky99 wrote:
I’m confused on two fronts.
His press release is incitement to hatred. He isn’t arrested.
And he punches a minor. And isnt arrested.

Wtf??


His supporters and him should be ashamed of some of what’s in that statement, but arrested? I don’t know man.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 7976
Location: Washington State
So in other words the kid can try but nothing's going to come of it otherwise the police would have done something immediately.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 24524
I don’t know Aussie law but if the same happened here, the child’s parents would have to press charges as far as i know.

If I was that kids dad I’d want to best the guy Into a pulp for hitting my son.
I’d have a stern word with my kid too but he didn’t deserve to be punched and then assaulted for it


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 16466
Bi_3 wrote:
You know that’s not what I meant. Just say online censorship is the answer. You’re 90% there.

I’m actually 120% in favor of online censorship. I don’t think people should have the right to post footage of a stranger’s death online outside of specific circumstances, or share their ex-girlfriend’s nude selfies, or access child porn, or make death threats, or engage in any other of a litany of behaviors which can be demonstrated to have knowingly victimized somebody like that, particularly when the victimization is the principle purpose of the act.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hatfield and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue March 19, 2019 12:19 am