The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 135  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Tue April 10, 2018 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Mon June 12, 2017 10:14 am
Posts: 223
I live in a hunting community...bow hunting, deer, moose, elk, bear, lions....



and I can promise you there is absolutely no need for assault rifles. None.

_________________
There's plenty for all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
The Cohen charges of illegal campaign contributions make me wonder if the NRA could be in any trouble with their Russian donations.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9612
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Threat on my kids' school, technically the high school next to his middle school, yesterday. Attendance was only 50% today even with police swarming the area all day.

No shooting.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4479
B wrote:
Threat on my kids' school, technically the high school next to his middle school, yesterday. Attendance was only 50% today even with police swarming the area all day.

No shooting.



Terrifying. I'm betting this is going to become more and more frequent in the future.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 13499
Location: Where everybody knows your name
In the county I work, they’ve shut schools down and let them out early 3 times since the Florida shooting due to threats. I think one kid actually had a gun in one case.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu April 12, 2018 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5599




Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu April 12, 2018 12:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51636
Location: Sector 7-G
mini bats can fuck you up, they swing awfully fast


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu April 12, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5599


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri April 13, 2018 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Mon June 12, 2017 10:14 am
Posts: 223
yeah..more guns are not the solution...

_________________
There's plenty for all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat April 14, 2018 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 635
Here's what I believe to be an example of what I was talking to a friend about last week: the gun owner who is just salivating at the chance to shoot someone. Black kid at the door asking for directions? Grab the shotgun and start shooting as he runs away!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/us/m ... tions.html

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
meatwad wrote:
Here's what I believe to be an example of what I was talking to a friend about last week: the gun owner who is just salivating at the chance to shoot someone. Black kid at the door asking for directions? Grab the shotgun and start shooting as he runs away!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/us/m ... tions.html

Self-defense is not as common as gun-owners and gun-defenders would lead us to believe:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/fire ... gun-use-2/


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 11:14 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4479
elliseamos wrote:
meatwad wrote:
Here's what I believe to be an example of what I was talking to a friend about last week: the gun owner who is just salivating at the chance to shoot someone. Black kid at the door asking for directions? Grab the shotgun and start shooting as he runs away!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/us/m ... tions.html

Self-defense is not as common as gun-owners and gun-defenders would lead us to believe:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/fire ... gun-use-2/



What would be a good number for you? 100,000 times a year? 500,000?

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
It's not about what the number is, it's about the fact that it's nowhere near what is promoted by the pro-gun side of this conversation.

The individual (Hemenway) at the head of the link explains how the myth of the self-defending gun owner is just that, a myth.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun April 15, 2018 11:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Posts: 2083
I've said it before, but the main thing having a gun in your house does is massively increase the chances that someone in your household will be injured/killed by that gun.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
Orpheus wrote:
I've said it before, but the main thing having a gun in your house does is massively increase the chances that someone in your household will be injured/killed by that gun.

Yes, I think that's mentioned in the Harvard link I posted.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Mon April 16, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5599
This is why I consistently believe that it is going to take a massive culture change in order to reduce gun ownership. There needs to be more persuasion toward the idea that even if you have the right to own one, it may not be wise to own one if your goal is ownership for self defense purposes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
Green Habit wrote:
This is why I consistently believe that it is going to take a massive culture change in order to reduce gun ownership. There needs to be more persuasion toward the idea that even if you have the right to own one, it may not be wise to own one if your goal is ownership for self defense purposes.

Agreed.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 15130
Location: Mizzou
It will take generations for the culture to change, if ever, in rural areas. Gun culture is so engrained there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 5:56 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1422
https://ghostgunner.net/
[url]
https://twitter.com/Radomysisky?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor[/url]

I would say good luck in changing the culture , but its likely that social media and search companies will somehow come up with an algorithm that is 99% effective in blocking firearm related messages while allowing some number of child prostitution links to get through. (you know, priorities)

You can probably change the culture by censoring large swaths of content, at least that seems to be the current strategy.

Can you really call gun owners paranoid if this is your outspoken strategy, especially considering the financing aspect?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 1:36 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32868
Location: Buenos Aires
Ah yes, gun control vs. child prostitution, a classic dichotomy


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon October 22, 2018 11:43 pm