The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 5:34 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
You don't know those things about literally any bad actor we discuss in this forum, period. You don't know them about the cops who killed Breonna Taylor, or the guy who reached for Kyle Rittenhouse's gun, or any person you see smashing a window in a video filmed during a BLM protest. You don't know them about any given Capitol rioter, and you don't know them about a terrorist who hijacks a passenger plane.

Wait, are you furiously searching my post history for a gotcha so you can prove that I am giving a white person the benefit of doubt I dont give black/brown people?

It's disturbing that you can't tell the difference.

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 6:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
You don't know those things about literally any bad actor we discuss in this forum, period. You don't know them about the cops who killed Breonna Taylor, or the guy who reached for Kyle Rittenhouse's gun, or any person you see smashing a window in a video filmed during a BLM protest. You don't know them about any given Capitol rioter, and you don't know them about a terrorist who hijacks a passenger plane.

Wait, are you furiously searching my post history for a gotcha so you can prove that I am giving a white person the benefit of doubt I dont give black/brown people?

It's disturbing that you can't tell the difference.

Your response is the "gotcha" he was again trying to set up. Given a broad enough target base, I'm sure there was some post in my history where I did not question motives and immediately condemned (9/11 for example, as if that belongs in the same arena) and by scoping the targets to BIPOC folks, bigotry can be implied with an easy 'I didnt mean that' out. Dont fall for it.

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 6:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No. The point is that we discuss violent acts in this forum all the time without pre-supposing mental health circumstances sans evidence. Every one of us does that. And in this case, as I said...
Quote:
We do know that he had been in rehab for sex addiction, which means he was exposed to mental health professionals.

...so this person does not seem MORE deserving of that caveat than others.

Honestly, though, if he was mentally ill when he bought those guns then the most logical conclusion brings us right back to the title of this thread.

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 7:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
Honestly, though, if he was mentally ill when he bought those guns then the most logical conclusion brings us right back to the title of this thread.
And my repeated defense of why we don't: it's too complicated.

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 7:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 7:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Wait, what?! I think if you're reading this and nodding along then you've clearly got to work some shit out in your head.

All people have these problems, hence why these violent tools should be better restricted and regulated: FOR EVERYONE.

But's it's too complicated to sort out at a federal level. States are doing great on their own.

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 7:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
Wait, what?! I think if you're reading this and nodding along then you've clearly got to work some shit out in your head.

All people have these problems, hence why these violent tools should be better restricted and regulated: FOR EVERYONE.

But's it's too complicated to sort out at a federal level. States are doing great on their own.

You are doing Gods work here.

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 11:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The suspect in this week’s mass shooting at 3 Atlanta-area spa locations reportedly purchased his murder weapon the same day as his alleged killing spree. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the suspected gunman purchased a firearm at a local gun shop and within hours had shot and killed 8 people, 6 of them Asian women.

The killings are bringing renewed attention on the fact that Georgia is one of 40 states that does not have a waiting period when purchasing a firearm. Only Washington, D.C., and 10 states—California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Washington, Iowa, Maryland, and New Jersey—have such laws in place, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. The org also states that waiting periods can potentially reduce gun homicide deaths by approx 17%.

The Giffords Law Center says: ’By delaying immediate access to firearms, waiting periods create an important ‘cooling off’ period that can help prevent impulsive acts of gun violence, including gun homicides and suicides'

PostPosted: Thu March 18, 2021 11:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:

"What is life, really? Life is complicated. Confusing. But most of all, unfair. So let's own that. Let's say to people: look at this person who failed at life. Look at how they hurt others and were shunned for it. Look at how absolutely wrong they are. And look.....they're eating Life cereal. (pauses) Say that enough, and I promise you: people will want that journey for themselves. They'll want to fail at life. They'll want to hurt others. And guess which cereal they will choose along the way?"

Not getting enough attention on what is truly an insane half-page of posts but this made me chuckle.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 8:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/w ... e-news-9ea

Quote:
Trevor Noah insisted that the killer’s confession was self-evidently false: “You killed six Asian people. Specifically, you went there. Your murders speak louder than your words. What makes it even more painful is that we saw it coming. We see these things happening. People have been warning, people in the Asian communities have been tweeting, they’ve been saying, ‘Please help us. We’re getting punched in the street. We’re getting slurs written on our doors.’” Noah knew the killer’s motive more surely than the killer himself.

None of them mentioned that he killed two white people as well — a weird thing for a white supremacist to do — and injured a Latino. None pointed out that the connection between the spas was that the killer had visited them. None explained why, if he were associating Asian people with Covid19, he would nonetheless expose himself to the virus by having sex with them, or regard these spas as “safer” than other ways to have quick sex.

They didn’t because, in their worldview, they didn’t need to. What you see here is social justice ideology insisting, as Dean Baquet temporarily explained, that intent doesn’t matter. What matters is impact. The individual killer is in some ways irrelevant. His intentions are not material. He is merely a vehicle for the structural oppressive forces critical theorists believe in. And this “story” is what the media elites decided to concentrate on: the thing that, so far as we know, didn’t happen.

Disturbing, but true of these people think

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 9:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

:shake:
6-year-old girl fatally shot by relative over spilled water, police say

PostPosted: Sun March 21, 2021 9:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Sounds like a real winner: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.khou.c ... 51a3f1bf93

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 12:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

todays shooting takes place in beautiful boulder, colorado..my old stomping grounds as a kid..just a quiet hippy town

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 12:40 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Police seize real gun disguised as Nerf toy in North Carolina drug raid:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/20/us/nerf- ... index.html

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 12:47 am 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
todays shooting takes place in beautiful boulder, colorado..my old stomping grounds as a kid..just a quiet hippy town

Crazy isnt it?

All my friends there are safe, thank goodness.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 1:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
doug rr wrote:

Crazy isnt it?

All my friends there are safe, thank goodness.

the press conference didn't say much..

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:14 am 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/when-the-narrative-replaces-the-news-9ea

Quote:
Trevor Noah insisted that the killer’s confession was self-evidently false: “You killed six Asian people. Specifically, you went there. Your murders speak louder than your words. What makes it even more painful is that we saw it coming. We see these things happening. People have been warning, people in the Asian communities have been tweeting, they’ve been saying, ‘Please help us. We’re getting punched in the street. We’re getting slurs written on our doors.’” Noah knew the killer’s motive more surely than the killer himself.

None of them mentioned that he killed two white people as well — a weird thing for a white supremacist to do — and injured a Latino. None pointed out that the connection between the spas was that the killer had visited them. None explained why, if he were associating Asian people with Covid19, he would nonetheless expose himself to the virus by having sex with them, or regard these spas as “safer” than other ways to have quick sex.

They didn’t because, in their worldview, they didn’t need to. What you see here is social justice ideology insisting, as Dean Baquet temporarily explained, that intent doesn’t matter. What matters is impact. The individual killer is in some ways irrelevant. His intentions are not material. He is merely a vehicle for the structural oppressive forces critical theorists believe in. And this “story” is what the media elites decided to concentrate on: the thing that, so far as we know, didn’t happen.

Disturbing, but true of these people think

Six Asian women and one couple with very sad timing, in 3 different locations. I would bold the part above where Trevor says “your murders speak louder than your words.”

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:15 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

It had been a while since we (America) had a mass shooing and now there’s been two in less than a week.
I guess we were overdue.
:(

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:21 am 
Future Drummer

I mean, does Andrew Sullivan really believe those two white people were part of his plan? Seems like they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. He injured a Latino? Wow. I used to love Andrew Sullivan and his takes but he consumed now by his contempt for this “illiberal left” that is surely going to destroy America any time now.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 11:37 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
It had been a while since we (America) had a mass shooing and now there’s been two in less than a week.
I guess we were overdue.
:(

I guess we need to ban gatherings. Then people can have all the guns they want. #COVIDSavesLives

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate