The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2013 6:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I tried to buy a Romanian Tokarev a few weeks ago. They shipped the ammo but no gun to the FFL. It appears they have sold out. I have 2000 rounds of ammo and no gun. I'm trying again with a Yugoslavian M57, we'll see how that goes.

The moral of the story is that gun dealers are scraping the dregs of even their eastern european wares. This is how desperate people are for guns right now. I can't imagine a more counter productive gun control strategy.

PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2013 7:17 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Wait until nothing happens and the price tanks.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2013 1:59 pm 
Rank This Poster

broken iris wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

aren't these already illegal under the 1935 firearms act listed as any other weapons? That said, that's pretty amazing if they are able to do that.

The WasPost article says that Rep. Israel claims printed guns would be illegal under the "Undetectable Firearms Act", which conveniently expires this year, but I don't see how that would stop the manufacture once the CAD files reach the interweb. "Illegal" didn't stop mp3s or Pirate Bay or Wikileaks.

Here's an article from Wired suggesting the answer may be regulating gunpowder.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/gunpowder-regulation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29

Maybe it's not really about stopping anything though (see war on drugs) maybe it's just about getting people who are afraid of guns to vote for them.

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2013 12:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

As I have apparently failed to mention it previously: Generally, you can manufacture your own gun with no input from the man. You don't have to register it through the normal process, but on the downside you can never transfer it to anyone else. In this regard the 3d printed receiver is analogous to making your own gun with a CNC Mill, just easier and cheaper. Even in California this can be done. One of my coworkers recently bought an 80% frame for a handgun, which means its an unfinished frame which is just barely not functional. Using the provided CNC he made the necessary cuts to make it a 100% frame and 'manufactured' his own gun. He had to buy quite a few taps and other hardware to make it work and it ended up costing him more than just going out and buying a handgun, but he did it. And this is just a small part of how silly gun laws are, and at the rate we are going they will only get sillier.

But anyhow, my current connundrum is whether to max out my credit card on 5.56 military ammo (with steel penetrator!) at a ridiculous price, or 30-06 ammo at a reasonable price. I'm talking about nearly 2x the ammo for the same price.

I have a reasonable supply of absolutely terrible steel cased 5.56(actually .223, but who's counting?) and a limited supply of 30-06, but the thing is this is the first lot of 5.56 I've seen in 2 months. The 30-06 would be purchased through the CMP who seem confident of at least a years worth of ammo. Damn you opportunity cost!

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 4:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'd buy the cheaper stuff now and wait out the rush for 5.56. Apparently that's like investing in gold now

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 12:19 am 
Future Drummer

Stolen from fark:

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 4:12 pm 
A Return To Form

The Tavor is already heading to stores, a quite cool and functional bullpup.

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2013 3:12 am 
AnalLog

Dunblane.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 1:20 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
I'd buy the cheaper stuff now and wait out the rush for 5.56. Apparently that's like investing in gold now

My FFL suggested a similar approach for an AR-15/ lower receiver. He says prices are already starting to come down, I can assume at least partially because Feinsteins assault weapons ban is going down in flames.

On a related note, both my M57 and the (Bulgarian?) 7.62x25mm ammo are in good condition. Should I be worried about stab crimping, or is that pretty much standard for the caliber?

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 6:34 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Ban the sharp object: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/m ... -1.1311719

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 2:38 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 4:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bob Loblaw wrote:
much harder to kill anybody with a knife. awesome comparison, Mr. Loblaw.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 1:32 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

elliseamos wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

If only Sandy Hook had been that school where five kids were non-fatally stabbed.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 1:46 am 
Mind Your Tanners

B wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

If only Sandy Hook had been that school where five kids were non-fatally stabbed.
i'm sure the town of newtown would take that 10 times out of 10.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 11:08 am 
Future Drummer

I am annoyed by the impact the gun control protest is going to have on my lunch options today.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2013 9:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

:?
Senate rejects expanded gun background checks

WASHINGTON — The Senate rejected a compromise proposal to expand background checks on gun purchases, dealing a blow to the core of legislative efforts to curb massacres such as the one at a Connecticut school in December.
President Obama will speak in the Rose Garden at 5:30 p.m. ET.
The 54-46 vote came on an amendment by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Pat Toomey, R-Pa. Sixty votes were necessary to get around a filibuster – a tall order because it meant drawing on Republican support to make up for losing majority-party Democrats.
Three Democratic senators from red states who are up for re-election in 2014 -- Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska -- voted against the background checks proposal. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota also voted "no," as did Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.
Four GOP senators -- Toomey, Mark Kirk of Illinois, Susan Collins of Maine and John McCain of Arizona -- crossed party lines to support the measure.
Reid's vote was procedural. It will allow him to bring up the background checks measure again if supporters believe they can get enough votes.
In a surprise, ailing Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., appeared in the chamber for the first time in weeks to cast an "aye" vote. He has been battling muscle weakness and fatigue, and came to the Senate floor in a wheelchair.
After the vote, the National Rifle Association called the background checks proposal "misguided."
"This amendment would have criminalized certain private transfers of firearms between honest citizens, requiring lifelong friends, neighbors and some family members to get federal government permission to exercise a fundamental right or face prosecution," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist. "As we have noted previously, expanding background checks, at gun shows or elsewhere, will not reduce violent crime or keep our kids safe in their schools."
In a sign of the importance of the gun debate, Vice President Biden presided over the chamber during the vote on background checks. In an online chat with mayors, he seemed to acknowledge it would be a long shot but vowed to keep pressing for gun control measures.
"I can assure you one thing: We're going to get this eventually," Biden said. "If we don't get it today, we'll get it eventually. I think the American people are way ahead of their elected officials."
Before the vote, Manchin pleaded with his colleagues to remember the 26 people who died Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
"If you want to remember those 20 babies -- beautiful children -- and the six brave teachers ... and you want to honor the most courageous family members I have ever met, please vote for this bill," he said.
The Senate will now take votes on other amendments, including one to ban assault weapons and limit the size of magazine clips, as well as a package of legislation addressing mental health issues.
A substitute plan by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, that would tighten the background check database but not expand the types of sales subject to it was defeated. A measure by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, to toughen rules on gun trafficking was also rejected.
During Wednesday's debate, Manchin held up his NRA membership card in the Senate chamber and called out the gun lobby for "lies" about what his measure would do. Specifically, he said, the gun lobby had inaccurately claimed the amendment would criminalize the transfer of guns to friends and family members.
"Where I come from, West Virginia, I don't know how to put the words any plainer than this: That is a lie. That is simply a lie," he said. "It's not a universal background check."
The expanded background checks would have extended to purchases made at gun shows and on the Internet. Reid said Wednesday morning that the bill would not create a national registry of guns or gun owners and derided such claims as "nothing but shameful scare tactics."
Earlier in the day, a pro-gun rights group withdrew its support for the background checks proposal. The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said it could no longer support the amendment because it did not have adequate provisions to make sure people could have their gun rights restored if, for example, a conviction were expunged.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... e/2090105/

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2013 12:06 am 
Future Drummer

Yeah, that's not so good.

I support the second amendment and don't care how many guns you have but I have no qualms with a federal level background check paid for by the gun purchaser. No different than requiring drivers ed.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2013 12:39 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

If I could trust them to actually destroy the records and not expand this at a later date it would be more palatable. Oh, and its total lack of relevance to any of the recent tragedies makes it questionable. If you live in a blue state this failure won't affect your fellow citizens anyhow, so you can sleep soundly, BI.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2013 1:03 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Why I love Arizona:http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/17/us-usa-guns-arizona-idUSBRE93G03N20130417

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2013 1:48 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I went and did a few things with my dad the other day. He needed some 9mm practice rounds. Couldn't find that shit anywhere. Any kind of 9mm ammo for that matter.

Me? I don't fuck with guns lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate