The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 8:21 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
I see Burt has finally reached his full “whine about how other men aren’t masculine enough on the internet” potential.

If action in the face of the children in your care being murdered is a masculine trait, then I'd like to think I'm fucking Rambo.

Take it to the sexual exploits Burt

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 8:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
I see Burt has finally reached his full “whine about how other men aren’t masculine enough on the internet” potential.

I think in a perfect world what Burt is implying i ideal. That when faced with great danger a person makes the brave/heroic choice and the choice between fight and flight isn’t even an option.

The truth though is very few people know how they would react in these types of circumstances. I bet the deputy thought he would be able to do what is right and maybe Aaron Feis never knew he would be capable of sacrificing his life to save others

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 2:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
It should be legal to own an assault weapon but illegal to be a coward.

https://gizmodo.com/the-nra-just-awarded-fcc-chair-ajit-pai-with-a-gun-for-1823273450

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 2:42 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Bi_3 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
It should be legal to own an assault weapon but illegal to be a coward.

https://gizmodo.com/the-nra-just-awarded-fcc-chair-ajit-pai-with-a-gun-for-1823273450

:haha: what a weird country.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 3:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
bada wrote:
Personally I rely on my skills with the bo staff to save me. Still breathing bitches.

nunchucks are objectively superior weapons, you fool.

I'll stick with my baseball bats :D

The argument, that if we get rid of guns, we will just see an increase in knife attacks, has to be my favorite stupid argument. The people who can not understand the difference between someone shooting a gun into a crowd of people, and someone trying to knife a crowd of people... probably shouldn't own a gun to begin with.

You don't bring a knife to a gun fight for a reason, unless youre Bruce Lee, or Geronimo (any Apache for that matter, they were notorious knife fighters)

This is true. However, I read a long post on Slate Star Codex about gun homicide (that I'm too lazy to look up) recently. Two of the main points were
1. there does seem to be a correlation between gun ownership and gun homicide, even when controlling for all variables and
2. if you only looked at non-gun homicides (knives, bats, nunchucks, etc.), the U.S. is still worse than pretty much every European country's total homicide numbers.
And if you could eliminate guns, those non-gun homicides would likely increase. This isn't an argument against gun control, it just means that our country has problems that run deeper than guns.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 4:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Dscans wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
bada wrote:
Personally I rely on my skills with the bo staff to save me. Still breathing bitches.

The argument, that if we get rid of guns, we will just see an increase in knife attacks, has to be my favorite stupid argument. The people who can not understand the difference between someone shooting a gun into a crowd of people, and someone trying to knife a crowd of people... probably shouldn't own a gun to begin with.

You don't bring a knife to a gun fight for a reason, unless youre Bruce Lee, or Geronimo (any Apache for that matter, they were notorious knife fighters)

This is true. However, I read a long post on Slate Star Codex about gun homicide (that I'm too lazy to look up) recently. Two of the main points were
1. there does seem to be a correlation between gun ownership and gun homicide, even when controlling for all variables and
2. if you only looked at non-gun homicides (knives, bats, nunchucks, etc.), the U.S. is still worse than pretty much every European country's total homicide numbers.
And if you could eliminate guns, those non-gun homicides would likely increase. This isn't an argument against gun control, it just means that our country has problems that run deeper than guns.
Chem trails and the linings of juice boxes should be investigated.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 9:56 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

So, it appears that the father of the child who refused to appear on the CNN Rubio panel because of being given scripted questions doctored emails to back up the claim.

Trump jumped on this one to attack the media for fake news.

I wonder if he'll retract the statement

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 10:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

An asshole does an asshole thing? This is my shocked face.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 11:04 pm 
AnalLog

Dscans wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
bada wrote:

yup, very true... Its just so frustrating when someone says we cant pass gun control measures because it will just lead to knife attacks. Its like they don't seem to understand, a gun, can shoot a bullet, that can kill someone at the other side of the room. Even the best Apache knife fighters had a range of maybe 60 feet. After that it gets pretty easy to dodge a thrown knife. And theres a reason you don't hear about many mass stabbings, its because they are easier to stop. You don't need a gun, you don't need a knife, you don't even need to know martial arts.

I've also seen studies done that in the countries that enacted gun control measures, suicide rates dropped. The experts could not agree on a reason.

One last thing. In the Mohican language, there was not a word for "murder" It did not exist within the tribe, they did not even have a concept of "murder". Sure, people died in war/battles, but within the tribe, murder did not exist. Until the Europeans showed up, gave a Mohican a gun, then got him drunk. The first recorded murder in the Mohican Nation, was with a gun. From what I've read, almost no Native American tribe had a word for "murder"

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:57 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Not that any of you will read this, but here goes, straight from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/us/politics/nra-gun-control-florida.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 1:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm bored, so we might as well go down this rabbit hole.

Dscans wrote:
This isn't an argument against gun control, it just means that our country has problems that run deeper than guns.

this:

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Frankly I think black people in the US are entitled to a little violence toward our institutions at this point.

If you want to the real reason the NRA remains powerful despite overwhelming evidence what they currently advocate for is crazy, this is it. Some white people are afraid that at a point in the near future it will be OK for black people to commit violence (or the government will commit violence in their name), because justice, so they arm up to protect what they have.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 2:24 pm 
Future Drummer

Good thing none of those people post here, huh b_i?

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 2:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bart wrote:
Good thing none of those people post here, huh b_i?

The people that advocate for retributive violence? They do. The other kind, spend ten minutes reading Info Wars and you'll see that sadly they do exist.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 3:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I have nothing to back this up directly, but:

Isn't the problem that gun makers get very lucrative contracts from our government (and others, looking at you middle east), which the gun manufacturers repay by filling the campaign coffers for those politicians that keep said cycle flowing? Eisenhower warned of the MIC, and that was almost 70 years ago now.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 3:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:

Isn't the problem that gun makers get very lucrative contracts from our government (and others, looking at you middle east), which the gun manufacturers repay by filling the campaign coffers for those politicians that keep said cycle flowing? Eisenhower warned of the MIC, and that was almost 70 years ago now.

The gun companies arent that rich (market cap for S&W is like $1.2B, real MIC like Raytheon is around $65B). IMHO, it's the fear votes from white America's inability/refusal to come to grips with what it's done to black Americans.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 3:21 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

The gun companies arent that rich (market cap for S&W is like $1.2B, real MIC like Raytheon is around $65B). IMHO, it's the fear votes from white America's inability/refusal to come to grips with what it's done to black Americans.

Yep. And the cycle of arm yourselves in case of a police force state which then leads to me armed forces.

Ironic that the Black Panther activity in the late 60s came to redefine the 2nd amendment.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 3:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

LetMeSleep wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Yep. And the cycle of arm yourselves in case of a police force state which then leads to me armed forces.

Ironic that the Black Panther activity in the late 60s came to redefine the 2nd amendment.

From s.s.'s nyt link:

"While the N.R.A. cuts relatively few checks to individual lawmakers — a fact that has been noted by The Tampa Bay Times, among others — it does devote tens of millions of dollars to ads backing its preferred candidates or criticizing its opponents, often with vividly alarmist messages about crime and self-defense."

Loosely what I'm getting at... and this is not to say they're the only group interested in maintaining a certain culture at home as well as through alliances abroad.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 3:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

From s.s.'s nyt link:

"While the N.R.A. cuts relatively few checks to individual lawmakers — a fact that has been noted by The Tampa Bay Times, among others — it does devote tens of millions of dollars to ads backing its preferred candidates or criticizing its opponents, often with vividly alarmist messages about crime and self-defense."

Loosely what I'm getting at... and this is not to say they're the only group interested in maintaining a certain culture at home as well as through alliances abroad.

You're not wrong, you're just focusing on the middle man. What makes the NRA powerful? Fear of black retribution. (I have nothing to back that up except hours upon hours of conversations with people who own multiple guns.)

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 4:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Perhaps the kids need to stand outside gun shops protesting, yelling "baby killer" at every one who walks in the door. Maybe then your politicians will start listening to them.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 4:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

doone wrote:
Perhaps the kids need to stand outside gun shops protesting, yelling "baby killer" at every one who walks in the door. Maybe then your politicians will start listening to them.

If only there were a secretly recorded video of a gun shop owner explaining what he does with the unsold guns...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate