The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 11:09 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
I truly do not understand this fixation with insurance. How would insurance work for intentional acts? How do you price that?

Is it insurance in case a third party gets ahold of your gun and misuses it? Most places already have legal penalties for that.

Functionally this just sounds like an annual tax on gun ownership. Rich whitey being the only one left with legal guns sounds like the end result.
Intentional acts are not what I was focusing on.

We were discussing the "reality" that cops should assume everyone they pull over has an AK 47.

Each of the things I thought of were intended to reduce (not eliminate) the total number of guns and make cops feel safer. So they might stop shouting people "on routine traffic stops."

Insurance/registry/federally documented and shared records would certainly help cops know who has what. Sort of like when they pull over a random 20yo and only then find out he has a prior for attempted robbery. There would be increased grounds for confiscation if things were found to be unregistered/uninsured. Again, the goal would be fewer guns. Fuck, I could be persuaded to vote for "1st gun is free" as long as it means "2nd gun" is an annual $200,000 fee (yes, tax, because I making up shit here). So "rich whitey" isn't the only one who's children can kill themselves swiftly when they get the urge.

My ideas intentionally say nothing about those that are seeking to do intentional, illegal things with a gun. There is plenty of law and penalty for those decisions. Again, the long term goal would be reduction, not elimination. Making more guns illegal wouldn't have saved young Mr. Toledo, as far as I can tell, but fewer guns out in the world (and let's be honest in America) might make a difference long term.

*I meant to comment on the "most places" remark. Universal/federal laws and/or requirements are a great starting point.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 1:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Maybe divide it into two problems:

1.) Reducing the number of guns in circulation
2.) Reducing the increase in the number of guns in circulation

Number two is much easier to tackle and makes solutions to number possible

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 1:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
There's at least 400 million guns, and if proplerly stored they can last for centuries.

I’m fine with this, personally. Cease the selling of new guns, buy back the 15% that you can get, and leave the rest to become cared for collectibles. If history has taught us anything, it’s that this will just slowly turn gun ownership into nerd culture. Within a generation, 90% of gun collections will be like old Star Wars toys or B’s Pearl Jam merch stockpile: well-cared for, beloved items that no one outside the home will ever see and which she will use as leverage in the divorce. A lot of people will immediately start thinking of their guns as “something that might be worth a lot of money” someday. Let them.

Quote:
I guess you could successfully push gun culture underground, make it difficult to train and develop marksmanship.

I legit barked a laugh at the idea that marksmanship is a rampant skill in America.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 3:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Quote:
I guess you could successfully push gun culture underground, make it difficult to train and develop marksmanship.

I legit barked a laugh at the idea that marksmanship is a rampant skill in America.

Did I imply anything of the sort? It is a thing in a group of nerds/ older gun owners. Its expensive to develop. It also has groups like project appleseed that promote it. I think project appleseed requires something like 500 rounds over two days. At current ammo prices, oof.

Rampant? No, but those with the time and resources to pursue it aren't the ones likely to shoot up the dealers on the corner or their school/ workplace. Valuable and in keeping with the militia aspect of 2A? Yes.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 3:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Maybe divide it into two problems:

1.) Reducing the number of guns in circulation
2.) Reducing the increase in the number of guns in circulation

Number two is much easier to tackle and makes solutions to number possible
I'd say #2 is a much shorter way of saying what I've been trying to say all along. With the goal being #1 eventually.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 5:52 pm 
Future Drummer

Active shooter 10 minutes from me today.

Really don't want to hear that this is an irrational fear ever again.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 8:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 9:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 10:41 pm 
mXn

We are fucking done for. What the fuck.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 11:48 pm 
Gone

Just need to get that guy to do the buy back, that's all.

PostPosted: Mon April 19, 2021 12:42 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Just need to get that guy to do the buy back, that's all.

He tried, but wouldn't put a mask on.

PostPosted: Mon April 19, 2021 7:37 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Indianapolis Fedex shooter was red flagged by his mom and interviewed by the FBI. Apparently despite these interventions he was never declared a prohibited person, and so was able to legally buy guns afterwards.

This quote is kind of weirdly specific:

Quote:
According to FBI Indianapolis Special Agent in Charge Paul Keenan, Hole was placed on an immediate detention mental health temporary hold by IMPD after his mother contacted them in March 2020.

"Based on items observed in the suspect’s bedroom at that time, he was interviewed by the FBI in April 2020," Keenan said in a statement. "No Racially Motivated Violent Extremism (RMVE) ideology was identified during the course of the assessment and no criminal violation was found. The shotgun was not returned to the suspect.”

As long as he didn't do a racism he's cool, apparently.

This to me sounds like he should have been put under a 72 hour hold in a psychiatric institution:
Quote:
immediate detention mental health temporary hold by IMPD
but perhaps it has a different cop meaning. Ever being involuntarily commited puts you on the no guns list, so sounds like no follow up.

PostPosted: Mon April 19, 2021 8:03 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Suspect in Wisconsin bar shooting that killed 3 identified

PostPosted: Mon April 19, 2021 8:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Stickman wrote:

Previously charged with a felony, but the charges were dropped.

PostPosted: Tue April 20, 2021 7:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
The Indianapolis Fedex shooter was red flagged by his mom and interviewed by the FBI. Apparently despite these interventions he was never declared a prohibited person, and so was able to legally buy guns afterwards.

This quote is kind of weirdly specific:

Quote:
According to FBI Indianapolis Special Agent in Charge Paul Keenan, Hole was placed on an immediate detention mental health temporary hold by IMPD after his mother contacted them in March 2020.

"Based on items observed in the suspect’s bedroom at that time, he was interviewed by the FBI in April 2020," Keenan said in a statement. "No Racially Motivated Violent Extremism (RMVE) ideology was identified during the course of the assessment and no criminal violation was found. The shotgun was not returned to the suspect.”

As long as he didn't do a racism he's cool, apparently.

This to me sounds like he should have been put under a 72 hour hold in a psychiatric institution:
Quote:
immediate detention mental health temporary hold by IMPD
but perhaps it has a different cop meaning. Ever being involuntarily commited puts you on the no guns list, so sounds like no follow up.

Jeebus, he was a brony and looked 14 years old. Any chance he suffered from some developmental disability?

PostPosted: Tue April 20, 2021 4:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://abcnews.go.com/US/juveniles-injured-gunfight-broke-12-year-olds-birthday/story?id=77182959

Quote:
When authorities arrived they discovered that multiple people had been shot after an alleged verbal confrontation at a 12-year-old child’s birthday party somehow erupted into a gunfight.

“Through further investigation, officers discovered nine juveniles were injured,” St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a media statement. “Of the nine, seven were treated at a local hospital and released. Two remain in the hospital in stable condition. Those injured were a 17-year-old male shot in the arm; a 16-year-old male grazed in the ribs; a 15-year-old male with a graze wound to the ankle; a 15-year-old male shot in the foot; a 14-year-old male shot in the leg; a 13-year-old male shot in the leg; and a 12-year-old shot in both legs. A 16-year-old male shot in the stomach and a 14-year-old male with a gunshot wound to the head remain in the hospital.”
MORE: Boy, 12, arrested for series of 4 armed carjackings in just under an hour: Police

Authorities believe that an estimated 60 young people were at the 12-year-old’s birthday party and that two groups of male juveniles who have an ongoing feud with each other began arguing at some point during the party which is what eventually led to the shootout.

Yet, in spite of all of the witnesses at the party, not a single person has given a formal statement of what they saw take place. No arrests have been made in connection with the shooting but officers have determined that two guns were fired in the altercation.

“Not one person has given a formal statement,” Sheriff Tregre said in a statement following the incident. “I am asking witnesses to come forward with information to help us learn more about what happened.”

Noah, get the boat.

PostPosted: Wed April 21, 2021 5:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I don't recall hearing about 12 and 13 year olds getting into street beef and shooting each other 10 years ago. My memory could be faulty, this could just be an artifact of social media, or maybe there's something that changed.

If 12 and 13 year olds are the shooters, who are the lookouts, 8 year olds? They can't possibly have a labor shortage with the Covid releases.

PostPosted: Thu April 29, 2021 4:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

How is the court going to rule on this? Normally they are loath to have some expansive ruling, but they agreed to hear this case. So shall issue nation wide?

https://thereload.com/gun-rights-groups-cheer-supreme-court-concealed-carry-case-as-gun-control-advocates-watch-nervously/

So maybe in a year or so I can apply and get a CCW? It'd be weird to take this case and then punt on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

It’s the Sun, so take it with skepticism, but 3D printed guns are on the rise:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14799456/ ... found-web/

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:19 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Some red states and local jurisdictions are now passing firearm sanctuary laws in the pattern of immigration sanctuary laws to prevent local law enforcement from assisting with the feds. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate