The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:18 pm 
Gone

Coach wrote:

Saying "it's on you" is so clownish

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:19 pm 
Gone

https://youtu.be/azRl1dI-Cts

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Coach wrote:

Saying "it's on you" is so clownish

It's a great PR move to rally the liberal base. I'm looking at this from more of a marketing perspective.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:
https://youtu.be/azRl1dI-Cts

Hmm, themes that run through his story: lack of empathy from others, hopelessness, and easy access to guns. And the guy who helped him...that's who I'm raising my kids to be.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Superblood Wolfmoon wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
macphisto wrote:
And no, I'm not crippled with fear thinking about my kids dying at school. Losing them to a mass shooter is statistically on the order of the school being swept away by a tornado or their bus driving off a bridge.

And here we are at the crux of everything wrong with our society: a lack of empathy. I understand the statistics and how they apply to my own situation as well and am not "crippled with fear" (a phrase you tough guys love to employ against empathetic people) that a mass shooting will happen at my kid's school. I guess the difference between us is that I have empathy for other people's kids, not just my own. It's a trait that I value and nurture in my own kids. And more than someone's feelings or beliefs on a particular issue, it's a lack of empathy that I find the most abhorrent in a person.

This is what I'm finding most disturbing about some people in this discussion. Not one ounce of being upset or feeling bad for someone else's situation.

Yeah. I'm sure the tough guys here will mock me mercilessly, but I've wept several times over the last day thinking about these kids, their families, their community, etc.

We have an epidemic of hopelessness in this country, which I think is at the root of these things even more than guns. But nobody wants to do anything about that either.

We killed empathy when we reified intersectionality.

I'm like more like you on this... Sandy Hook felt abstract to me, this felt personal. Hard to tolerate the red team's bullshit today. BUT, there needs to be a level of cold detachment in these situations in order to get shit done. Where are the leaders that can do that?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:35 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
macphisto wrote:
And no, I'm not crippled with fear thinking about my kids dying at school. Losing them to a mass shooter is statistically on the order of the school being swept away by a tornado or their bus driving off a bridge.

And here we are at the crux of everything wrong with our society: a lack of empathy. I understand the statistics and how they apply to my own situation as well and am not "crippled with fear" (a phrase you tough guys love to employ against empathetic people) that a mass shooting will happen at my kid's school. I guess the difference between us is that I have empathy for other people's kids, not just my own. It's a trait that I value and nurture in my own kids. And more than someone's feelings or beliefs on a particular issue, it's a lack of empathy that I find the most abhorrent in a person.

This is what I'm finding most disturbing about some people in this discussion. Not one ounce of being upset or feeling bad for someone else's situation.

Yeah. I'm sure the tough guys here will mock me mercilessly, but I've wept several times over the last day thinking about these kids, their families, their community, etc.

We have an epidemic of hopelessness in this country, which I think is at the root of these things even more than guns. But nobody wants to do anything about that either.

Oh man, the only thing that makes me cry (other than good tv) is a school shooting. I live like 35-40 min from Sandy Hook, been to the town many times for work… that event wrecked me. This one feels very similar.

Maybe a partial solution to this has less to do with mental health or availability of guns - neither of which is going to be solved - by has to do with age. I heard today that 70% of school shootings are kids 18 and under. And we know overall that most mass shootings are committed by young men. Maybe you shouldn’t be able to own a gun, period, until 21. And maybe you can’t own a high powered rifle until 25. And of course, background checks. This wouldn’t solve everything, but maybe make it harder for that 16-24 male demographic to get their hands on these weapons. Seems absolutely insane that we live in a country where we think an 18 year old isn’t responsible enough to use alcohol, but a high powered rifle that can kill 20 people in a minute… cash or card?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:39 pm 
AnalLog

That's certainly part of the equation and a sensible attempt at a solution Rob. I think it's much easier for a younger person to lose sight of the long game that life is and give in to something so horrific than it is someone with more life experience. Again, not a catch-all solution (there isn't one), but definitely something that should be implemented.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:39 pm 
Future Drummer

You can't fix the issue overnight, but any little thing to start the process would help.

-Minimum age to purchase a firearm: 25
-30 day background check
-If you are found to be buying a gun for someone else...harsh penalties (Years ago I was at a Cabelas or Bass Pro with my Father in Law looking at handguns. A guy and his wife came up to buy a gun. She was buying it because he wouldn't pass the background check.)
-Ban assault weapons
-Ban high capacity mags for all guns (Doesn't really affect the stuff already in circulation, but could help down the line)

I don't know. Just make it a nuisance to buy a gun; maybe it will give the potential shooter time to rethink or look for help.

Yes, guns are still had by criminals on the streets. Like I said, start with the little things.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:42 pm 
Gone

blueviper wrote:
You can't fix the issue overnight, but any little thing to start the process would help.

-30 day background check
-If you are found to be buying a gun for someone else...harsh penalties (Years ago I was at a Cabelas or Bass Pro with my Father in Law looking at handguns. A guy and his wife came up to buy a gun. She was buying it because he wouldn't pass the background check.)
-Ban assault weapons
-Ban high capacity mags for all guns (Doesn't really affect the stuff already in circulation, but could help down the line)

I don't know. Just make it a nuisance to buy a gun; maybe it will give the potential shooter time to rethink or look for help.

Yes, guns are still had by criminals on the streets. Like I said, start with the little things.

It's called a straw purchase and it's already a felony. Prosecutors and judges doing their fucking jobs is another story.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

blueviper wrote:

-30 day background check
-Ban assault weapons

Yup. Seems pretty obvious.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:52 pm 
Future Drummer

macphisto wrote:
blueviper wrote:

-30 day background check
-Ban assault weapons

It's called a straw purchase and it's already a felony. Prosecutors and judges doing their fucking jobs is another story.

true.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

https://www.theonion.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:26 pm 
AnalLog

https://media.dumpert.nl/dmp/media/imag ... /image.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:34 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
macphisto wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Yeah they'd take out a few ATF guys with them

The number of people actually willing to set their comfortable lives on fire over this is pretty small, but any actual proposal other than voluntary hand over (with vanishingly small compliance) with random enforcement is insane.

Public support for an actual door to door campaign would weaken when soccer moms understand the number of dogs the cops would shoot in the process of enforcement.

Kids too, but if they're being raised in conservative, gun-owning households, do their lives even matter?

wtf

seriously, what is this post?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:37 pm 
Gone

spike wrote:
spike wrote:
macphisto wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

The number of people actually willing to set their comfortable lives on fire over this is pretty small, but any actual proposal other than voluntary hand over (with vanishingly small compliance) with random enforcement is insane.

Public support for an actual door to door campaign would weaken when soccer moms understand the number of dogs the cops would shoot in the process of enforcement.

Kids too, but if they're being raised in conservative, gun-owning households, do their lives even matter?

wtf

It's called sarcasm, spike. It's a form of verbal irony. I thought you had a college degree.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

blueviper wrote:
macphisto wrote:
blueviper wrote:

-30 day background check
-Ban assault weapons

true.

Maybe instead of putting a bunch of money towards armed guards in schools and then watching them hide in their cars whenever there's a real threat, we could dedicate serious resources to tracking and prosecuting these types of gun crimes through state and federal agencies.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:39 pm 
The Master

macphisto wrote:
spike wrote:
spike wrote:
macphisto wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

wtf

It's called sarcasm, spike. It's a form of verbal irony. I thought you had a college degree.

jokes

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:41 pm 
Gone

spike wrote:
macphisto wrote:
spike wrote:
spike wrote:
macphisto wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

wtf

jokes

Naw man.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:43 pm 
Major Dude

Coach wrote:

Meanwhile, Lyin’ Ted is speaking at an NRA event in Houston in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Eventually. someone is going to go "elementary school mode" on a gun rights advocate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate