The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 4:56 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Bi_3 wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html

I used to think gun control was the answer.
By Leah Libresco
October 3
Leah Libresco is a statistician and former newswriter at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site. She is the author of “Arriving at Amen.”

Before I started researching gun deaths, gun-control policy used to frustrate me. I wished the National Rifle Association would stop blocking common-sense gun-control reforms such as banning assault weapons, restricting silencers, shrinking magazine sizes and all the other measures that could make guns less deadly.

Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence. The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.

When I looked at the other oft-praised policies, I found out that no gunowner walks into the store to buy an “assault weapon.” It’s an invented classification that includes any semi-automatic that has two or more features, such as a bayonet mount, arocket-propelled grenade-launcher mount, a folding stock or a pistol grip. But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.

The Washington Post Editorial Board appeals to Trump and Congress to stand up to the gun lobby and prevent mass shootings. (Adriana Usero, Kate Woodsome/The Washington Post)
As for silencers — they deserve that name only in movies, where they reduce gunfire to a soft puick puick. In real life, silencers limit hearing damage for shooters but don’t make gunfire dangerously quiet. An AR-15 with a silencer is about as loud as a jackhammer. Magazine limits were a little more promising, but a practiced shooter could still change magazines so fast as to make the limit meaningless.

As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data, it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun-control restriction could make a big difference. Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United Statesevery year are suicides. Almost no proposed restriction would make it meaningfully harder for people with guns on hand to use them. I couldn't even answer my most desperate question: If I had a friend who had guns in his home and a history of suicide attempts, was there anything I could do that would help?

However, the next-largest set of gun deaths — 1 in 5 — were young men aged 15 to 34, killed in homicides. These men were most likely to die at the hands of other young men, often related to gang loyalties or other street violence. And the last notable group of similar deaths was the 1,700 women murdered per year, usually as the result of domestic violence. Far more people were killed in these ways than in mass-shooting incidents, but few of the popularly floated policies were tailored to serve them.

By the time we published our project, I didn’t believe in many of the interventions I’d heard politicians tout. I was still anti-gun, at least from the point of view of most gun owners, and I don’t want a gun in my home, as I think the risk outweighs the benefits. But I can’t endorse policies whose only selling point is that gun owners hate them. Policies that often seem as if they were drafted by people who have encountered guns only as a figure in a briefing book or an image on the news.

Instead, I found the most hope in more narrowly tailored interventions. Potential suicide victims, women menaced by their abusive partners and kids swept up in street vendettas are all in danger from guns, but they each require different protections.

Older men, who make up the largest share of gun suicides, need better access to people who could care for them and get them help. Women endangered by specific men need to be prioritized by police, who can enforce restraining orders prohibiting these men from buying and owning guns. Younger men at risk of violence need to be identified before they take a life or lose theirs and to be connected to mentors who can help them de-escalate conflicts.

Even the most data-driven practices, such as New Orleans’ plan to identify gang members for intervention based on previous arrests and weapons seizures, wind up more personal than most policies floated. The young men at risk can be identified by an algorithm, but they have to be disarmed one by one, personally — not en masse as though they were all interchangeable. A reduction in gun deaths is most likely to come from finding smaller chances for victories and expanding those solutions as much as possible. We save lives by focusing on a range of tactics to protect the different kinds of potential victims and reforming potential killers, not from sweeping bans focused on the guns themselves.

Legalizing drugs would also probably do more to reduce gun deaths than any gun control legislation.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 3:32 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Make sure you keep watching to the 4-minute mark (or, watch the first 20 seconds or so, then skip to like 3:58):

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 3:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Hey MS-13, this guy lives alone and isolated and has thousands upon thousands of unsecured firearms.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 3:46 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bi_3 wrote:
Hey MS-13, this guy lives alone and isolated and has thousands upon thousands of unsecured firearms.

I'm sure a dude like that has more hidden security features on his property than he is letting on.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 11:18 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

You can get a wwii tank for really cheap. A museum with tons of them shut down a couple years ago.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 1:39 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Chieftans used to go for like 60K. I have no idea what the multiplier is for transporting it.

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 8:00 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

New song same as the old song.
I guess we just need to put armed officers in the schools.
Okay, more armed officers in the schools then.

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 10:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

No, we need to arm the kids dummy. If they had guns this never would have happened.

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 10:31 pm 
Thread Killer

multiple fatalities in Nor Cal school

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:10 am 
The Master

I've been thinking about this video a lot. Watching it filled me with a lot of mixed emotions.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 4:11 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I've been thinking about this video a lot. Watching it filled me with a lot of mixed emotions.

Mixed Emotions? Please explain. What is mixed about that?

I have one emotional and that guy is a first class royal DB.

"If it gets cold i Put underwear on them because im a good boyfriend"

Jokes and light heartenedness aside about him pretending they are his women....That is what he does to keep girls warm? Not put on a jacket?

Also, he seems real heartbroken about his wife being blown to pieces by a fucking rocket.

God, ive heard horror stories about CO Springs and that doesnt help (cue PX now)

Geezes.

Fuck america.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 12:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:17 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

didn't you post that the other day?

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:41 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
didn't you post that the other day?

No?

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:53 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

ST posted it. It's a great video.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:10 pm 

No, I meant his saying "Hey MS-13, this guy lives alone and isolated and has thousands upon thousands of unsecured firearms."

He said that twice in this thread

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:24 pm 
Polluted

It was probably a haha because somebody B'd the video.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:27 pm 

Self wrote:

i don't understand RM

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:33 pm 
Polluted

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Self wrote:

i don't understand RM

It's for the best, I think.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 5:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Looking at an article about the shooter in California and there's several youtube videos linked, one of which has the title "North California shooting hoax". Jesus, what is wrong with these cuckers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate