The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 2:20 am 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
maybe more data graphics will help

What are they not showing us from 1981?!!

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 2:21 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
I find all this energy about feature bans totally misplaced when this is the reality of enforcement in many US cities:

Progressive DAs seem to think criminals with lengthy rap sheets are just about the only people with a right to effective self defense.

"Because the D.C. Department of Forensic Sciences lost its accreditation in 2021, prosecutors have to pay to have evidence for DNA, firearm and fingerprint analysis sent to outside laboratories, Graves said. Prosecutors, he said, prioritize doing so for violent offenses.

“We are now entering year three of DFS being shut down without any clear plan of coming back online,” Graves said. “We have to prioritize violent felonies and make sure we are doing the forensic testing for those cases. Our office is often bearing the cost for this analysis.”"

The article explains that 87% of violent felonies are prosecuted.

Are illegal possession of a firearm arrests violent crime? IIRC there was some quote from the DA in Philly about how he didnt think illegal possession was worth prosecuting. I think what Schoolboy was getting at is that law enforcement isn't doing much to stop felons before they commit crimes.

I don't know why you would need lab evidence to convict someone of simple possession. If they are on probation for a felony, their probation could be revoked for merely being in the presence of a firearm, or even ammunition (in case it's in a car and not on one individual person). There are plenty of tools to get prior offenders back into jail when they are found with a gun, but they choose to not do so in the name of equity.

So they all have priors and are on probation? We know that?

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 2:57 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
I find all this energy about feature bans totally misplaced when this is the reality of enforcement in many US cities:

Progressive DAs seem to think criminals with lengthy rap sheets are just about the only people with a right to effective self defense.

"Because the D.C. Department of Forensic Sciences lost its accreditation in 2021, prosecutors have to pay to have evidence for DNA, firearm and fingerprint analysis sent to outside laboratories, Graves said. Prosecutors, he said, prioritize doing so for violent offenses.

“We are now entering year three of DFS being shut down without any clear plan of coming back online,” Graves said. “We have to prioritize violent felonies and make sure we are doing the forensic testing for those cases. Our office is often bearing the cost for this analysis.”"

The article explains that 87% of violent felonies are prosecuted.

Are illegal possession of a firearm arrests violent crime? IIRC there was some quote from the DA in Philly about how he didnt think illegal possession was worth prosecuting. I think what Schoolboy was getting at is that law enforcement isn't doing much to stop felons before they commit crimes.

I don't know why you would need lab evidence to convict someone of simple possession. If they are on probation for a felony, their probation could be revoked for merely being in the presence of a firearm, or even ammunition (in case it's in a car and not on one individual person). There are plenty of tools to get prior offenders back into jail when they are found with a gun, but they choose to not do so in the name of equity.

So they all have priors and are on probation? We know that?

Do you really think the majority of these are 14 year olds with clean records that go on to never re-offend? If you're riding dirty in DC and you aren't some 40 year old with a valid permit from a neighboring state, it's pretty safe to assume you're up to some shit.

Hell, they probably go ahead and charge the 40 year olds because then they figure they can collect the fines. We should never discount the economic incentive. If a violator has no assets and probably won't cost you re-election, why waste finite resources?

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 4:21 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Oh wow, your schools have active shooter buckets! Cool!

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 9:49 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I guess I was expecting more complaints about the defund-crowd, than to have this be racial profiling 101.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 11:54 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
I guess I was expecting more complaints about the defund-crowd, than to have this be racial profiling 101.

Racial profiling? Did our local HR professional with a secret trove of proprietary data enter the chat?

I was merely ageist.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 1:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bi_3 wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
blueviper wrote:
Who cares if the shooter is white, black, purple, male, female, other, caucasian, african american, asian, etc..

What all of the shooters have in common: guns.

According to the graph on this page there are 1.2 guns for every 1 person. So while removing guns is the only way to solve shootings completely, getting guns out of the hands of violent felons (mostly handguns are used in crime) is not a realistic goal. BUT, since the guns themselves aren't pulling the triggers, what we can do is address factors leading up that person making the decision to use the gun on themselves or another and that means looking at cultural elements. If you take it from that approach, then the intersections of the killers matter a lot as different tactics may be required to motivate different groups.

The issue a trans killer in particular is the language and symbolism around trans rights are steeped in violence. Words like 'genocide' are part of the normal vernacular. This primes people for violence and it needs to change. If you think back to 9/11 times, leaders were careful not to use phrases like 'war on islam' because of the risk of inflaming the conflict domestically. We seemed to have forgotten that when it comes to developing the safe and respectful integration of trans people into society.

maybe we should stop making guns since we already have too many?

Like buy out the manufacturers and sue the ever-loving shit out of any new ones that rise?

how can you buy out people who won't sell?

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 9:06 pm 
Rank This Poster

The solution is probably to just make Semi Automatic weapon’s Class 3 along with Automatic Weapons. Long guns, rifles, pistols, shotguns. Just expand the NFA.

It doesn’t make guns illegal, it does make it much harder to legally obtain and own weapons that make it very easy to kill large numbers of people quickly.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 9:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
The solution is probably to just make Semi Automatic weapon’s Class 3 along with Automatic Weapons. Long guns, rifles, pistols, shotguns. Just expand the NFA.

It doesn’t make guns illegal, it does make it much harder to legally obtain and own weapons that make it very easy to kill large numbers of people quickly.

The more likely scenario is that the ATF just keeps announcing rule changes and then walking them back so they don't get slapped with APA violations.

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 11:07 am 
what on earth am I talking about

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 11:52 am 
Looks Like a Cat

dimejinky99 wrote:

Tonight at 11: Researcher from island mono-culture pretends regional diversity in massive country doesn't exist to prove social problems align with his political priors. Sports and weather on the 9's, and you won't believe what one local women found in her mailbox!

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 1:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Why is the reaction to attack him for being Irish

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 1:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:

Not attacking for being Irish, my ancestors on my Dad's side came from there at the start of the 20th century, but we all bring preconceptions from our environment into how we interpret our world. If you read the thread he doesn't really address the very regional impact slavery and reconstruction have had on these things and instead points to Britain as being diverse so it's comparable... As if legal immigration and the enduring horrors of post-colonization chattel slavery have the same impact because of the statistical percentage of white folks. It's the "What gets measured gets managed" issue we see in big data all the time.

Child mortality:

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 2:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

And this is in response to a tweet observing that 1 in 25 young people in the US won’t live to see 40?

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 3:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
And this is in response to a tweet observing that 1 in 25 young people in the US won’t live to see 40?

The tweet is part of much larger thread so it's not great to interpret it out of context, but yeah that number doesn't mean much because there is no "average American" to base it on in the same way there is an average Japanese or Austrian or Swedish person. A much more interesting viz would be to break the US number down by state and compare it as US states are comparable to countries.

And to be clear, this has nothing do with Dime and references in my previous posts were about the author of the tweet, not him. Just because Dime posted it doesn't mean he agrees with it or in anyway obligated to defend or criticize it.

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 4:17 pm 
The Master

:thisisfine:

PostPosted: Mon April 03, 2023 12:48 am 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:

PostPosted: Mon April 03, 2023 12:58 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Americope overdrive in here. What the hell, Bi.

PostPosted: Mon April 03, 2023 1:32 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:

The Scots-Irish/ Borderers are some of the most violent white people we have in this country.

PostPosted: Mon April 03, 2023 1:48 am 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
spike wrote:

Montana represent!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate