The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 2:05 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Since I mentioned it earlier, the teachers there that I know personally are all okay thankfully. I feel guilty that this shooting is impacting me much more than the previous ones when the only real difference is proximity, but man this makes it just feel so much more real.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 2:09 pm 
AnalLog

An active shooter happened at my place of work. One of the guys I hired was shot. A student was paralyzed from the waist down by a bullet that hit their spine. Obviously the active shooter at my place of work was not on this level. It's hard for me sometimes. I can't imagine a child trying to process a situation as dark and extreme as this. Coming back to school? I don't know how they can do it.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 2:09 pm 
See you in another life, brother

McParadigm wrote:
One thing that always blows my mind about this stuff: within a few weeks of this happening, all those kids might be asked to return to that building.

That’s just fucking crazy to me. There isn’t really a good alternative, and you wouldn’t want to split the group up after what they’ve been through, but “go walk the halls where your friends died, and sit in the classroom where you huddled in the dark and prayed for your life, because Social Studies is important,” is bonkers. Can you imagine going around a few weeks after the Boston marathon bombing and telling people who were there, “there’s a big fucking crowd standing around downtown and you have to join it right now. Go out in the crowd. Go. Go stand there all day. Every day this week. Take your same spot, over where we cleaned off that smear of blood. You remember the blood, right? Yeah, there.”

These events happen in part because of our collective indifference to mental health problems, and nowhere is that indifference clearer than prioritizing minimum required days in class over the traumatic pain these kids have known.

We will see how they do it. I think after Sandy Hook they moved all the classes to a middle school, but they had an unused middle school lying around. A lot of the time, they just send them right back into the building.

This didn't deserve to get bottom-paged.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 2:12 pm 
AnalLog

4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
One thing that always blows my mind about this stuff: within a few weeks of this happening, all those kids might be asked to return to that building.

That’s just fucking crazy to me. There isn’t really a good alternative, and you wouldn’t want to split the group up after what they’ve been through, but “go walk the halls where your friends died, and sit in the classroom where you huddled in the dark and prayed for your life, because Social Studies is important,” is bonkers. Can you imagine going around a few weeks after the Boston marathon bombing and telling people who were there, “there’s a big fucking crowd standing around downtown and you have to join it right now. Go out in the crowd. Go. Go stand there all day. Every day this week. Take your same spot, over where we cleaned off that smear of blood. You remember the blood, right? Yeah, there.”

These events happen in part because of our collective indifference to mental health problems, and nowhere is that indifference clearer than prioritizing minimum required days in class over the traumatic pain these kids have known.

We will see how they do it. I think after Sandy Hook they moved all the classes to a middle school, but they had an unused middle school lying around. A lot of the time, they just send them right back into the building.

This didn't deserve to get bottom-paged.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 2:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

why would we need to ban the gun when we have thoughts and prayers to protect us and make us feel better?

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 3:56 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

My wife is a member of a community Facebook group that raises issues with the local school committee (even though our oldest kid is only 2). In response to yesterday's shooting, someone asked the school district's safety officer what the plans were if something like this happened in our town. He said it was classified information. Kind of weird. I guess the justification is that they don't want to broadcast emergency procedures so a potential shooter can't exploit them. Someone pointed out that most shooters are students or former students and would know procedures from the drills they run. The safety officer went quiet after that.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 3:57 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Peeps wrote:
why would we need to ban the gun when we have thoughts and prayers to protect us and make us feel better?

:D

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

B wrote:

Painfully accurate

We're Averaging One School Shooting Every 60 Hours In 2018
Those numbers are according to data compiled by the gun control advocacy organization Everytown for Gun Safety, which defines a school shooting as any time a firearm is discharged on or around a campus.

Last edited by Stickman on Thu February 15, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 4:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:

PTSD? Well, good luck with that after we cut medical benefits for your parents.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 4:09 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

The "thoughts and prayers" jokes/critiques that follow these things are getting so fucking tired and cliched. Not really lashing out at any specific RMer (people do this all over Facebook and Twitter too), but clapping back at people with snark when they ask for prayers is just as fucking useless at this point as praying. Call your senators, your rep, and start agitating locally.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 4:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Hmm, how about that.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 4:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Wow.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 4:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bune wrote:

Hmm, how about that.

Puzzles the mind.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 4:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
The "thoughts and prayers" jokes/critiques that follow these things are getting so fucking tired and cliched. Not really lashing out at any specific RMer (people do this all over Facebook and Twitter too), but clapping back at people with snark when they ask for prayers is just as fucking useless at this point as praying. Call your senators, your rep, and start agitating locally.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 5:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Simple Torture wrote:

i was definitely being tounge in cheek but the whole thoughts and prayers is kind of annoying. it does nothing to solve the issue. all these senators sending them out when they are taking hundreds of thousands from the NRA is a joke

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 6:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

At this point it’s impossible to read those thoughts and prayers lines without picturing them said with a condescending smirk.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 6:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

And there you go.

In better (?) news:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/school-att ... ashington/

Hey, so Trump was right?

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 6:55 pm 
AnalLog

bune wrote:
And there you go.

Sadly predictable at this point.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 7:28 pm 
The Master

Sounds about right...

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

And how is this different than say the leader of al-Qaida taking responsibility for a shooting...?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate