The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:05 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Sorry if this was posted, but there is a story going around that the cops went in for their kids while everyone waited. Not sure if true, very proggle accounts posting it so you never know.

There's a TV interview with a cop who basically confirms this happened, but I only saw it posted by an account that was literally called like "But Her Emails!" so I declined to post it.

Slightly better:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-tex ... -shooting/

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 am 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
bart wrote:
It did happen before the 90s Burt. It accelerated in the mid 2000s, after the assault rifle ban ended. It did not accelerate in the 80s when they changed mental health policy, it did not accelerate in pace with the internet. Those are stupid ideas.

Obviously it happened, just like it happens in other parts of the world today, but it happened very rarely. It very much became a thing starting around the 90s.

Why do you think it happens?

I literally just told you. Assault weapons are available easily to people who should never have access to them.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:10 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

bart wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
bart wrote:
It did happen before the 90s Burt. It accelerated in the mid 2000s, after the assault rifle ban ended. It did not accelerate in the 80s when they changed mental health policy, it did not accelerate in pace with the internet. Those are stupid ideas.

Obviously it happened, just like it happens in other parts of the world today, but it happened very rarely. It very much became a thing starting around the 90s.

I literally just told you. Assault weapons are available easily to people who should never have access to them.

The vast majority of mass shootings aren't done with assault rifles though. That makes no sense.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:12 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Obviously preventing people from accessing weapons will make them less able to commit violent acts, but that doesn't explain why, at a time when gun ownership was higher and more accepted, there were less shootings. They changed something in the Matrix between then and now.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:13 am 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
bart wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
bart wrote:

The vast majority of mass shootings aren't done with assault rifles though. That makes no sense.

“ When assault weapons and high-capacity magazines were used in mass shootings, they resulted in far more deaths and injuries. Between 2009 and 2020, the five deadliest mass shooting incidents in the US all involved the use of assault weapons and/or high-capacity magazines: Las Vegas, Orlando, Newtown, Sutherland Springs, and El Paso. 12

Assault weapons and high-capacity magazines were disproportionately used in public mass shootings. Of the shootings with known weapon type, 76 percent of those that involved an assault weapon and/or high-capacity magazine occurred in public compared to 44 percent of those that involved a handgun.”

https://everytownresearch.org/maps/mass ... r-deadlier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:15 am 

That only shows the effectiveness, not the number of mass shootings. And don't get me started on Las Vegas...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:16 am 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Obviously preventing people from accessing weapons will make them less able to commit violent acts, but that doesn't explain why, at a time when gun ownership was higher and more accepted, there were less shootings. They changed something in the Matrix between then and now.

Gun ownership has been steady since the 70s

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 am 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
That only shows the effectiveness, not the number of mass shootings. And don't get me started on Las Vegas...

Wouldn’t you prefer mass shooters to be less effective?

Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
bart wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
bart wrote:

Using ARs in mass shootings has become pretty common, but there's no reason to think they're more effective than handguns (outside of the Vegas shooting).

When the victims are trapped inside with the perpetrator the weapon used is rather unimportant.

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster."

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 am 

bart wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Gun ownership has been steady since the 70s

What about before the 70s?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:22 am 
Future Drummer

What the fuck does that have to do with your argument about shootings rising since the 1990s

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 am 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster."

See this is why I don’t argue on the internet when I’m sober, in real life I would t engage with the kind of crowd that responds to little kids getting their heads blown off with fucking matrix quotes and yet here I am

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 am 
Future Drummer

Aspergers having motherfuckers

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:26 am 

bart wrote:
What the fuck does that have to do with your argument about shootings rising since the 1990s

Shootings were rising before the 90s (started ramping up around the 70s I think), but these things we call mass shootings, school shootings, etc. - as Schoolboy says - was basically memed into existence in the 90s. Conditions had to have changed in order for this to have happened.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:28 am 

bart wrote:
Aspergers having motherfuckers

Your argument seems to be that nothing about America or Americans has changed in 50 years or so that would make them start shooting up schools, except an increased access to guns. This is pretty crazy to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:33 am 
Future Drummer

What makes America different from the entire rest of the developed fucking world besides our gun laws that makes mass shootings common. That is the question I asked. What is the answer.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am 

bart wrote:
What makes America different from the entire rest of the developed fucking world besides our gun laws that makes mass shootings common. That is the question I asked. What is the answer.

If we had the same gun laws as "the rest of the world", we would have the same number of shootings?

I doubt it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:40 am 
AnalLog

bart wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

See this is why I don’t argue on the internet when I’m sober, in real life I would t engage with the kind of crowd that responds to little kids getting their heads blown off with fucking matrix quotes and yet here I am

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:40 am 
Future Drummer

Bart is reminding us why he’s a legend here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate