The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
And how is this different than say the leader of al-Qaida taking responsibility for a shooting...?

Motive? A white nationalist, thought a piece of human shit, doesn't necessarily kill because of that.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:35 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:

Wow.

I thought that was fake. Wow! It's not! I even went to the NRA website to make sure it wasn't a fake instagram account.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:36 pm 
AnalLog

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:
And how is this different than say the leader of al-Qaida taking responsibility for a shooting...?

Motive? A white nationalist, thought a piece of human shit, doesn't necessarily kill because of that.

Eh

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:41 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

They caught this guy, right? He's alive? Can't he state his own allegiances?

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

What’s amazing about this particular incident is that, while republicans are doing their usual “gee Dems want to turn tragedy into politics ain’t it awful” dance, the actual victims are all over tv and social media begging for legislative action.

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 8:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Yeah, watching the kids give interviews is scary and empowering at the same time. Like the one kid said, "We're kids, you're the adults."

PostPosted: Thu February 15, 2018 9:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 12:27 am 
Major Dude

McParadigm wrote:

Trumps response: “I pledge to do everything in my power to keep guns out of the hands of retards, the handicapped, blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, gays, lesbians, transvestites and the blind. “

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 1:08 am 
Looks Like a Cat

jwfocker wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:

Eh

May not even be true:

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/02/15/florida-school-shooting-suspect-nikolas-cruz-member-white-nationalist-militia-tallahassee-leader-say/341751002/

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 1:52 am 
AnalLog

Lawn darts had been banned from being sold in the United States for many years. The ban was challenged in court in the late 1970s, prompting the Consumer Product Safety Commission to make a compromise ruling allowing their sale provided they were not marketed as toys. However, in April 1987, seven-year-old Michelle Snow was killed by a lawn dart thrown by one of her brothers' playmates in the backyard of their home in Riverside, California, United States. The darts had been purchased, unintentionally, as part of a set of several different lawn games and were stored in the garage, never before having been played. Michelle's father, David, began a crusade to get lawn darts banned, claiming that there was no way to keep children from getting their hands on lawn darts short of a full ban.[1][2]
Due in part to Snow's lobbying, on December 19, 1988, the CPSC reinstated the outright ban on lawn darts in the USA.[3] In the previous eight years, 6,100 people had been sent to the emergency room due to lawn darts in the USA. Out of that total, 81% were 15 or younger, and half of them were 10 or younger. On the week the commission voted to ban the product, an 11-year-old girl in Tennessee was hit by a lawn dart and sent into a coma.[1]

6,100 in 8 years, hurt from lawn darts... banned.

lawn darts were never meant to hurt anyone, ever.

Guns, are made to kill, period, end of discussion, lock the thread, and get rid of your obsession with guns already America. Have a nice day :)

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 1:56 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

But my Constitution

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 2:18 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Paul Ryan makes me so fucking angry with his “evil” talk. This was a broken, anguished, and damaged autistic child. YOU, on the other hand, are a rational, functional adult who is happy not to ensure that this never happens again.

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 4:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’m starting to think that the blowback from this is worse than is immediately apparent. The GOP was just starting to regain some footing after backing a child molester, and now we are at child murder. Voter party preference had just started to normalize after incident one, and a lot of people who are not ideological and don’t care about politics are getting tired of this.

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 4:07 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Keep in mind that, as this year’s special elections have made evident, if 10% of independent voters start self-identifying as democrats the American landscape is redefined.

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 4:15 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

McParadigm wrote:
I’m starting to think that the blowback from this is worse than is immediately apparent. The GOP was just starting to regain some footing after backing a child molester, and now we are at child murder. Voter party preference had just started to normalize after incident one, and a lot of people who are not ideological and don’t care about politics are getting tired of this.

From a distant standpoint (i.e., taking out the gut feelings of anger and anguish I feel about the whole thing), it's interesting how social media is playing a role in the aftermath of this shooting. When Virginia Tech happened, there was really only FB, and it wasn't the global behemoth it is today (I had a friend whose brother was killed there, so it was all over my timeline, but it's not like the world could see it). Yesterday and today my Twitter feed especially has been overrun by retweeted posts from students from that high school, sharing what it was like during and after the massacre. It's probably just that this happened for the first time at a school where the students are part of the over-sharing generation, where they are perfectly fine broadcasting whatever they feel to the world, whether it's happiness, joy, grief, anger, sadness, or anything. This post doesn't really have an end point, it's mostly just an observation, but since McP's post was about politics, maybe think about this: what will happen when kids that age get to vote?

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 4:52 am 
AnalLog

Seriously fuck the 2nd Amendment at this point.

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 5:20 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

4/5 wrote:
Since I mentioned it earlier, the teachers there that I know personally are all okay thankfully. I feel guilty that this shooting is impacting me much more than the previous ones when the only real difference is proximity, but man this makes it just feel so much more real.

I used to live right across the street from. Taravella high school . I moved up north about 4 years ago. My 16 year old son has friends who now attend stoneman Douglas.

It chills me to think that my son could have been there.

I'm glad your friends/colleagues are safe.

But, yeah --because I lived right there and have friends living there with high school-age kds, this shooting feels like it hit home for me too.--'ve been dwelling on it quite alot. And it's true....how in the world can those kids go back to school there ? It's unfathomable

The worst footage I came across was the girl who came out from hiding under a desk and had to walk out of the class room and down the hall, and there was blood and people laying there, and the sounds, I can't describe it, . Those kids are going to be affected for life. And that video makes you grasp that . The video with the shots ringing out and the screaming, that was scary..but this video makes you realize just how bad it was

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 7:02 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Seriously fuck the republican party, they should go rot in concentration camps and get gassed en masse, like the party they try to emulate so much.

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 11:11 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

From a distant standpoint (i.e., taking out the gut feelings of anger and anguish I feel about the whole thing), it's interesting how social media is playing a role in the aftermath of this shooting. When Virginia Tech happened, there was really only FB, and it wasn't the global behemoth it is today (I had a friend whose brother was killed there, so it was all over my timeline, but it's not like the world could see it). Yesterday and today my Twitter feed especially has been overrun by retweeted posts from students from that high school, sharing what it was like during and after the massacre. It's probably just that this happened for the first time at a school where the students are part of the over-sharing generation, where they are perfectly fine broadcasting whatever they feel to the world, whether it's happiness, joy, grief, anger, sadness, or anything. This post doesn't really have an end point, it's mostly just an observation, but since McP's post was about politics, maybe think about this: what will happen when kids that age get to vote?

I’m not a <insert profession that takes a decade of training>, but....

I’m not a psychiatrist, but I worry about the “over-sharing” phenomenon in cases like this. If the attacker’s goal is to maximize suffering, a potential attacker reading these reactions and watching the videos, as cathartic as they may be for the victims, could be motivated to act because they provide evidence of the effectiveness of the crime.

I also suspect there is a certain satisfaction some get from reading, not that different from the reaction rightwingers have when they read a terror attacker was Muslim, having their worldview confirmed. Along the lines of “look what the other group caused, I knew they were evil. I’m so right about things. Read my blog.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate