The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Mon July 18, 2022 6:52 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
B wrote:
Stickman wrote:

... And a good guy with a gun ended it. I guess we're all gonna be carrying required guns soon

Indiana repealed their law requiring a permit to conceal carry on July 1. Great call!

The majority of states are like this now. There's been no correlation to additional violence. Those illegally carrying continue to do so, and most people that choose to legally carry opt for a permit due to interstate reciprocity and are less likely to commit a crime than the cops.

Any correlation to less violence?

The % of people carrying daily is too low to create a deterrence effect. Let's bump those rookie numbers up!

PostPosted: Mon July 18, 2022 10:20 pm 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
B wrote:
Stickman wrote:

... And a good guy with a gun ended it. I guess we're all gonna be carrying required guns soon

Indiana repealed their law requiring a permit to conceal carry on July 1. Great call!

The majority of states are like this now. There's been no correlation to additional violence. Those illegally carrying continue to do so, and most people that choose to legally carry opt for a permit due to interstate reciprocity and are less likely to commit a crime than the cops.

The % of people carrying daily is too low to create a deterrence effect. Let's bump those rookie numbers up!

So having more armed civilians on the streets is the solution? Sure kept things under control in Kenosha a couple years ago!

PostPosted: Mon July 18, 2022 10:38 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Permitting concealed carry isnt the highest thing on my wishlist.

PostPosted: Mon July 18, 2022 10:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
B wrote:
Stickman wrote:

So having more armed civilians on the streets is the solution? Sure kept things under control in Kenosha a couple years ago!

Kenosha is a good example of why it's wise to be armed when many of the violent felons are. Two people that should have been prohibited possessors were waving their handguns around and the state hasn't been terribly aggressive in prosecuting them for their various misdeeds.

Joshua Ziminski had all charges dropped, go figure.

PostPosted: Tue July 19, 2022 4:33 am 
The Master

How many people did they murder by waving them?

PostPosted: Tue July 19, 2022 5:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
How many people did they murder by waving them?

No murders occured. Homicides yes, but justified.

Edit: this is possibly as dumb as the "Childhood knife fights" take from certain corners. You don't brandish a firearm for no reason, it's what gets people killed.

For the kids in the back, any claims of Rittenhouse "brandishing" were thoroughly destroyed.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 1:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

people who legally own guns also murder people with those guns. the "good guy with a gun" idea is so shallow and shortsighted I have a hard time even taking it seriously.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 4:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

warehouse wrote:
people who legally own guns also murder people with those guns. the "good guy with a gun" idea is so shallow and shortsighted I have a hard time even taking it seriously.

Those that go through the licensing process are more law abiding than those your locality hires and arms, so, I dunno, sounds like it's a good enough shorthand.

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 8:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Those that go through the licensing process are more law abiding than those your locality hires and arms, so, I dunno, sounds like it's a good enough shorthand.

none of this is true

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 9:23 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

none of this is true

Care to cite? I'm not aware of any state where concealed carry permit holders have been found to be convicted of crimes at rates higher than police officers.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 12:38 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Here this was a quick google search

Out of over 1300 killings by police 1% were found guilty

I find it tough to believe cc isn’t at a higher rate

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 3:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Peeps wrote:
Here this was a quick google search

Out of over 1300 killings by police 1% were found guilty

I find it tough to believe cc isn’t at a higher rate

I was referring to any crimes committed by police or CCW permit holders, whether 'work related' or not. Not sure where you got homicides justifiable vs not from.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 3:55 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Myanmar, why don't you just ban the gun?

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 12:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

none of this is true

Care to cite? I'm not aware of any state where concealed carry permit holders have been found to be convicted of crimes at rates higher than police officers.

lol you can't bring up a stat and then ask me to cite it. aren't all cops also licensed to carry off duty? how are you supposed to compare two groups when there's so much overlap? it also has nothing to do with what i posted. the "good guy with a gun" idea seems to imply we would be safer as a society if more people were armed. i have no idea how people can believe this to be true.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 12:49 pm 
Future Drummer

warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

none of this is true

lol you can't bring up a stat and then ask me to cite it. aren't all cops also licensed to carry off duty? how are you supposed to compare two groups when there's so much overlap? it also has nothing to do with what i posted. the "good guy with a gun" idea seems to imply we would be safer as a society if more people were armed. i have no idea how people can believe this to be true.

There’s a cynical side of me that thinks a lot of these guys just want to be Rambo, and kind of hope they end up in that situation with their gun. And of course they don't think they’ll chicken out when it goes down, like so many of these good guys do.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 1:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

the logical side of me thinks the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 1:45 pm 
The Master

warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

none of this is true

We’d already be the safest country by a large margin. But of course we’re the opposite, when it comes to gun deaths.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 3:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

none of this is true

I made a claim, you called it false. What basis do you have to claim it's false?

Cops can carry off duty, but they don't have to apply for a ccw, there is no overlap.

There's a very small deterrent effect from civilian CCW holders, but then again they are only 3-5 percent of the population most places. If we bump those numbers up perhaps it would have a larger deterrent effect.

How many people are alive because that 22 year old in Indiana ignored a dumb corporate policy? 6? 20? You can't ignore this example of an average Joe being present and acting more effectively than 90% of cops.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 3:24 pm 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

none of this is true

I made a claim, you called it false. What basis do you have to claim it's false?

Cops can carry off duty, but they don't have to apply for a ccw, there is no overlap.

There's a very small deterrent effect from civilian CCW holders, but then again they are only 3-5 percent of the population most places. If we bump those numbers up perhaps it would have a larger deterrent effect.

How many people are alive because that 22 year old in Indiana ignored a dumb corporate policy? 6? 20? You can't ignore this example of an average Joe being present and acting more effectively than 90% of cops.

Three people are dead because the other guy had a gun too.

PostPosted: Thu July 21, 2022 4:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:

none of this is true

so you are making the argument for the defund the cops group huh?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate