The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Oops!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:44 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

verb_to_trust wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Fuckin scumbag. How does he even sleep never mind live with himself

If only crazy people would target members of Congress instead of children. Maybe something would get done.

Another threat to a politician? Already?

I guess when you say “I’ll stay away for a while” that means what, two hours?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:59 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Can someone please explain the verb account to me?

Seems to be up for kids getting shot dead in their classrooms and protecting the ones that make it happen?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:14 pm 
Gone

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:37 pm 
The Master

sweet meme bro

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

macphisto wrote:
warehouse wrote:
macphisto wrote:
1. To resist a tyrannical government should it come to that, and we've seen a lot of "that will never happen" happen around the world over the past two years.
2. Self-defense
3. Hunting/competition/recreational shooting

:haha: what world do you live on that citizens of the US are going to be able to defeat the US Armed Forces? this is just nonsense.

You accuse me of arguing in bad faith, but then immediately go to mockery. Cool. You could read up on the American Revolutionary War and the War in Afghanistan for examples of how ordinary people have frustrated the most powerful militaries in the world with less sophisticated weaponry.

admittedly, it's hard to not mock this opinion. the american revolution happened so long ago that comparing warfare today to that war is so far of a reach its comical. even the war in afghanistan is a terrible example to modern day america.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:48 pm 
Gone

dimejinky99 wrote:
Can someone please explain the verb account to me?

Seems to be up for kids getting shot dead in their classrooms and protecting the ones that make it happen?

Yeah. I'm up for kids getting shot. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

So cops stood by for an hour?!?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

macphisto wrote:
warehouse wrote:
wouldn't a hunting rifle or hand gun be just as, if not more effective, for self defense?

Hunting rifle, assuming you're thinking bolt-action rifle, not as maneuverable and slower. Handgun not as powerful.

warehouse wrote:
why on earth would anyone consider recreational shooting more important than the protection of humans? this isn't even part of the bullshit, outdated constitutional argument. its just weirdos playing with guns.

False dichotomy.

a friend of mine actually suggested using a hunting rifle for protection in his house b/c you don't have to be super accurate. it makes sense that it's not as light and easy to use, but it can still be effective. i'm not sure why power comes into this. does a more powerful gun protect you more? or are you talking shooting through walls?

what someone does as a hobby does not trump the safety of the public. i just can't wrap my head around that argument.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:52 pm 
The Master

Stickman wrote:
So cops stood by for an hour?!?

No, they were busy arresting parents attempting to save their children.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Are the cops trying to make defund the police a bipartisan position? We've seen this level of cowardice and incompetence too many times.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:54 pm 
AnalLog

Chris Murphy Has Seen the Aftermath of a School Massacre. He Wonders if America Should Too
“Would people be moved to action if they saw what a kid looked like after, you know, 12 or 15 bullets went through their body?"

Chris Murphy has seen the photographs of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The Connecticut senator is one of the few people who have. The public has been spared the images of the “unthinkable, grisly, horrific scenes,” he says, so shocking that the first responders who first entered the classrooms required as much counseling as the parents who lost their children.

“I sometimes wonder what would happen if the photos from inside these scenes became public,” Murphy mused on Wednesday morning. “Would people be moved to action if they saw what a kid looked like after, you know, 12 or 15 bullets went through their body?”

Murphy doesn’t pretend to know what unfolded at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, where at least 19 children and two teachers were murdered on Tuesday afternoon. Nor will he venture to imagine the scene at the nearby civic center, where loved ones were either reunited with their children or shattered by the news they never would be.

But at the Newtown firehouse on December 14, 2012, he’d huddled with the families who weren’t spared the horror of learning their children had been among the 20 killed. The Uvalde gunman used an AR-15 type rifle, just as the Sandy Hook shooter had. So Murphy isn’t sparing anyone what’s emerging from Uvalde, never shying away from the heartbreaking details as he elevates reporting from the scene. “Imagine being 9 years old, and watching your friend get shot in the nose and collapse dead in front of you,” he tweeted, sharing a New York Times dispatch on Tuesday night.

Gun control advocates are not settled on whether anyone should publicize the gruesome, painful moments that accompany a senseless gun death — especially since doing so can retraumatize survivors, says Christian Heyne, the vice president of policy at Brady, a gun control group. But Heyne, whose mother had been killed by gun violence, signs off on Murphy’s efforts.

“I worry that something is rotting inside the core of this country as we numb ourselves, intentionally, to these murders,” Murphy says. “I don’t want people to put this in a convenient box or to sanitize the reality of what this is. I want people to deal squarely with the reality — and the reality is awful and terrifying.”

I asked Murphy to put his own experience at Sandy Hook into context. A massacre is a “crime scene,” he says. “Very often, the bodies don’t get moved immediately. Very often those kids lie on the floors for a long, long time. You know the kids don’t have IDs on them, so it’s the parents who have to do the identification. These AR-15s — they explode when they hit the kids’ bodies. Sometimes the kids are unrecognizable. Last night, they were doing DNA swabs of the parents. That might be because that was the only way to identify who these kids were. You get shot through the nose via an AR-15, there’s nothing left of your face.”

Consider this the next evolution of the calls to action Murphy’s been making ever since the 2012 Newtown massacre. The tragedy in the then-House member’s district forged Murphy into one of his party’s fiercest gun control advocates. He offered thoughts and prayers on the solemn occasion, in keeping with a custom to not immediately politicize deaths. But Murphy lost his patience for political deference after the Senate failed to pass a background checks bill the following April. When a gunman killed nearly 50 people at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub in 2016, Murphy staged a first-of-its-kind 15-hour filibuster to demand action on gun control.

Upon every tragedy, he’s now rushed to the Senate floor to deliver a fiery repudiation of senseless tragedy — including Tuesday night, when he excoriated his Republican colleagues for nearly a decade of inaction since the Sandy Hook tragedy. To do so is now nearly a universal Democratic party position. For proof, look no further than Rep. Ruben Gallego’s (D-Ariz.) tweet declaring Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) a “fucking baby killer.”

The speeches and insults have done little to dislodge partisanship entrenchment as Congress settles into its familiar post-massacre cadence. House Democrats passed a pair of gun control bills last March and are clamoring for the Senate to do the same. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) vowed to do “anything I can” to pass “common sense” gun laws, but refuses to eliminate the filibuster, virtually guaranteeing their demise. Cruz, Texas Gov. Greg? Abbott (R), and former President Donald Trump, meanwhile, will address the National Rifle Association’s annual conference in Houston this weekend.

Murphy, ever the optimist, will spend the next ten days negotiating with his GOP colleagues to find some compromise legislation. There’s an “all too slim” chance that will happen, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) admitted to reporters today, when “we’ve been burned so many times before.” But if a deal is to be made, Murphy says, making Uvalde’s aftermath real for his fellow lawmakers will be key.

“I want my colleagues, even if for just a second, to put themselves in the place of those parents in Uvalde — to think about what it would be like to have to walk into that school and identify your child, face down in his fourth grade classroom, six or seven hours after he’s been shot,” Murphy says. “I want people to think about what this is like because maybe it forces them into action.”

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:01 pm 
Major Dude

The problem, Superwolf, is that they just don’t care.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

it's a start...

The police department in Sacramento, CA, held a gun buyback event on May 21 that was so popular, it had to end it early. The department offered a $50 gas gift card in exchange for any guns brought in.

The event was supposed to last 5 hours, but after only 45 minutes, the department announced that it ran out of gift cards ‘due to overwhelming response.’ It continued to accept firearms but ended the event an hour early. On Facebook, the department said 134 firearms were brought in.

Gun buybacks allow gun owners to turn in firearms to law enforcement with no questions asked. The goal of these events is to reduce gun violence in the community. Research from the Journalist’s Resource shows that buybacks might not be as effective on their own but can help if ‘they’re part of a broader effort to reduce gun violence.’

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm 
The Master

thoughts and prayers

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:21 pm 
AnalLog

Stickman wrote:

The police department in Sacramento, CA, held a gun buyback event on May 21 that was so popular, it had to end it early. The department offered a $50 gas gift card in exchange for any guns brought in.

The event was supposed to last 5 hours, but after only 45 minutes, the department announced that it ran out of gift cards ‘due to overwhelming response.’ It continued to accept firearms but ended the event an hour early. On Facebook, the department said 134 firearms were brought in.

Gun buybacks allow gun owners to turn in firearms to law enforcement with no questions asked. The goal of these events is to reduce gun violence in the community. Research from the Journalist’s Resource shows that buybacks might not be as effective on their own but can help if ‘they’re part of a broader effort to reduce gun violence.’

Superblood Wolfmoon wrote:
But look, I don't think it's a realistic solution to confiscate guns anyway. Were it up to me, their future sale/manufacture for civilians would be banned. I'd offer a voluntary buy-back program, and if you choose to keep your weapon, it's registered and it's an opportunity for the authorities to look into someone's history to determine whether they're a danger to society by having that weapon. Because I think one thing we can all perhaps agree on is that these weapons should not be in the hands of people who only wish to harm others or are mentally unstable/ill.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:47 pm 
Major Dude

spike wrote:
thoughts and prayers

Thoughts and prayers save lives

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

wease wrote:
Thoughts and prayers save lives

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:55 pm 
Future Drummer

warehouse wrote:
macphisto wrote:
warehouse wrote:
macphisto wrote:
1. To resist a tyrannical government should it come to that, and we've seen a lot of "that will never happen" happen around the world over the past two years.
2. Self-defense
3. Hunting/competition/recreational shooting

:haha: what world do you live on that citizens of the US are going to be able to defeat the US Armed Forces? this is just nonsense.

You accuse me of arguing in bad faith, but then immediately go to mockery. Cool. You could read up on the American Revolutionary War and the War in Afghanistan for examples of how ordinary people have frustrated the most powerful militaries in the world with less sophisticated weaponry.

admittedly, it's hard to not mock this opinion. the american revolution happened so long ago that comparing warfare today to that war is so far of a reach its comical. even the war in afghanistan is a terrible example to modern day america.

Warehouse is obv right. It’s a silly argument in 2022, Mac. We began building a military no one can fuck with a long time ago. You can argue about insurgencies mucking things up, but I assume America tries to keep good PR. If the objective is to simply wipe out the other side, it’s probably gonna happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate