The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat April 17, 2021 9:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Off the top of my head, let's try:

Mandatory insurance requirements for having guns
Make ammunition more expensive
Make it harder to get a gun in the first place
Make it harder to sell guns
Make fewer guns
Restrict what can be made
Restrict what can be sold
Offer buybacks (for guns & ammo) at overmarket prices
Make all data federally shared and researched
Make all rules listed above mandatory across all states, territories, and extended to all of North America.

:thumbsup:

No jokes, this all seems pretty doable, even if it wont stop the problem 100%. The total value of all the stock of the major gun makers in under $20B. With only the money he made in 2020, Elon could literally just buy them, stop firearm production at them, and convert those factories/jobs to Telsa parts.

I'm appreciative that this isn't entirely laughed off.

PostPosted: Sat April 17, 2021 9:38 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
You can't buyback something people don't want to sell.

A military spec AR 15 might cost $1200 on average. I've seen buyback proposals with $1,000 payout and that seems to be the high end. If you're passionate enough of a gun enthusiast to spend that kind of money on a gun $1,000 isn't going to sway you into taking the deal.

NZ and Australia have done buy backs but I don't think that means it's gun free utopia. Compliance is actually pretty disappointing unless I'm mistaken.

Relative to America, it is. I think Australia’s had three mass shootings since stricter laws were passed 25 years ago. The US had four in one day a week ago. But hey, probably not worth persuing.

You're comparing apples and watermelons

Are we not talking about the effects of a country with stricter gun laws? Australia is a country, and you even brought them up.

PostPosted: Sat April 17, 2021 11:45 pm 
Gone

spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

A military spec AR 15 might cost $1200 on average. I've seen buyback proposals with $1,000 payout and that seems to be the high end. If you're passionate enough of a gun enthusiast to spend that kind of money on a gun $1,000 isn't going to sway you into taking the deal.

NZ and Australia have done buy backs but I don't think that means it's gun free utopia. Compliance is actually pretty disappointing unless I'm mistaken.

Relative to America, it is. I think Australia’s had three mass shootings since stricter laws were passed 25 years ago. The US had four in one day a week ago. But hey, probably not worth persuing.

Are we not talking about the effects of a country with stricter gun laws? Australia is a country, and you even brought them up.

That doesn't mean I view them as having the same challenges. There are millions upon millions of assault rifles in america spike and people are not giving them back. Time to shave your neck beard and go back to the drawing board.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 12:00 am 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

That doesn't mean I view them as having the same challenges. There are millions upon millions of assault rifles in america spike and people are not giving them back. Time to shave your neck beard and go back to the drawing board.

I was only referencing the last paragraph of your post. But hey, you got to lash out me yet again and feel like a big man.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 12:05 am 
The Master

guns are dumb. america is dumb

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 12:06 am 
The Master

thank you ill be here all night

the end

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 12:09 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Who said anything about giving them away?
With the right incentive people will do anything.
Just look at B!

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 12:11 am 
Gone

elliseamos wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Just look at B!

Are there not 2A weirdos in Maine?

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 12:48 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Just look at B!

Are there not 2A weirdos in Maine?
Of course not.

But again, give my neighbor a reason (likely financial) to lessen the total number of guns he has and we'll improve our violence problem.

I'm not saying no guns at all.
I'm not saying all violence will go away.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 1:27 am 
Gone

Do you really think the guy who will take an extra few bucks in exchange for his gun is the same guy who ends up shooting up his former employer or church?

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 2:22 am 
mXn

elliseamos wrote:
Off the top of my head, let's try:

Mandatory insurance requirements for having guns
Make ammunition more expensive
Make it harder to get a gun in the first place
Make it harder to sell guns
Make fewer guns
Restrict what can be made
Restrict what can be sold
Offer buybacks (for guns & ammo) at overmarket prices
Make all data federally shared and researched
Make all rules listed above mandatory across all states, territories, and extended to all of North America.

I’m on board with all of this

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 2:51 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Do you really think the guy who will take an extra few bucks in exchange for his gun is the same guy who ends up shooting up his former employer or church?

We've been talking about traffic stops, Mr. To_Trust, and the perception from police that everyone is packing heat. Fewer guns would lower the popo anxiety, no?

If we're talking about employers/churches/supermarkets/middle schools/movie theaters/Walmarts/brain doctors & their families/high schools/night clubs/district attorneys & their families/colleges/elementary schools then I'd think my previous list's inclusion of "making guns harder to get in the first place" was more specifically targeting (no pun intended) these types of events.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 2:56 am 
Gone

What's it like being so open minded your brains have leaked out of your ears?

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 3:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Calmer than you are.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 3:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

There's at least 400 million guns, and if proplerly stored they can last for centuries.

I guess you could successfully push gun culture underground, make it difficult to train and develop marksmanship. As far as decreasing the availability of guns, you might see some success in that after a generation or so. Good luck.

Whats the estimate of number of rounds of ammunition in civilan hands? Something in the billions? Boomers buy shotgun ammo by the quarter ton. Not sure about the storage lifespan of commercial ammo, but people are shooting military surplus from the 30s.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 3:43 am 
mXn

simple schoolboy wrote:
There's at least 400 million guns, and if proplerly stored they can last for centuries.

I guess you could successfully push gun culture underground, make it difficult to train and develop marksmanship. As far as decreasing the availability of guns, you might see some success in that after a generation or so. Good luck.

Whats the estimate of number of rounds of ammunition in civilan hands? Something in the billions? Boomers buy shotgun ammo by the quarter ton. Not sure about the storage lifespan of commercial ammo, but people are shooting military surplus from the 30s.

This is a good example of the “reality” argument in the reality vs. ideology game.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 4:01 am 
Gone

Bammer wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

This is a good example of the “reality” argument in the reality vs. ideology game.

No man. If we all just circle jerk about this as hard as we all can we can win hearts and minds.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 4:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I truly do not understand this fixation with insurance. How would insurance work for intentional acts? How do you price that?

Is it insurance in case a third party gets ahold of your gun and misuses it? Most places already have legal penalties for that.

Functionally this just sounds like an annual tax on gun ownership. Rich whitey being the only one left with legal guns sounds like the end result.

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 7:04 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

What do you signify with your quotes? Are any of my numbers off?

PostPosted: Sun April 18, 2021 10:39 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bammer wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

What do you signify with your quotes? Are any of my numbers off?
I have every reason to believe your numbers are right, so Bammer's likely just referring to the line of conversation in the thread where someone said my ideas aren't realistic.

I appreciate your points, ss, but I still feel like it's like saying "too complicated" and shrugging at the problem.

I know there are people that will say, "what problem?"
I know there are people that will not do this voluntarily.
We all know people can be motivated to change and I would like to see people try.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate