The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 137  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun July 01, 2018 6:37 am 
Online
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 655
I sometimes wonder if people were faced with seeing the real-life consequences of gun violence on the news if it would change their feelings about guns and gun control. Like if they showed the crime scene photos from a mass shooting, unedited. Dead kids. I know this had a lot to do with changing people's view on the war in Viet Nam. Thoughts?

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
meatwad wrote:
I sometimes wonder if people were faced with seeing the real-life consequences of gun violence on the news if it would change their feelings about guns and gun control. Like if they showed the crime scene photos from a mass shooting, unedited. Dead kids. I know this had a lot to do with changing people's view on the war in Viet Nam. Thoughts?

First (only) network to do it would disappear.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24606
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
elliseamos wrote:
meatwad wrote:
I sometimes wonder if people were faced with seeing the real-life consequences of gun violence on the news if it would change their feelings about guns and gun control. Like if they showed the crime scene photos from a mass shooting, unedited. Dead kids. I know this had a lot to do with changing people's view on the war in Viet Nam. Thoughts?

First (only) network to do it would disappear.

i hate Vice, but they could be really useful here


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
tragabigzanda wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
meatwad wrote:
I sometimes wonder if people were faced with seeing the real-life consequences of gun violence on the news if it would change their feelings about guns and gun control. Like if they showed the crime scene photos from a mass shooting, unedited. Dead kids. I know this had a lot to do with changing people's view on the war in Viet Nam. Thoughts?

First (only) network to do it would disappear.

i hate Vice, but they could be really useful here

Maybe, but they'd lose their HBO connection instantly and would probably be dropped from cable providers, too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 8:37 pm 
Online
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 655
elliseamos wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
meatwad wrote:
I sometimes wonder if people were faced with seeing the real-life consequences of gun violence on the news if it would change their feelings about guns and gun control. Like if they showed the crime scene photos from a mass shooting, unedited. Dead kids. I know this had a lot to do with changing people's view on the war in Viet Nam. Thoughts?

First (only) network to do it would disappear.

i hate Vice, but they could be really useful here

Maybe, but they'd lose their HBO connection instantly and would probably be dropped from cable providers, too.


Why do you think this?

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri March 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 9444
Location: 41.1716° S, 174.8248° E
Quote:
A US woman's son talked about putting her in a rest home. She then killed him, police say


https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/105284831/a-us-womans-son-talked-about-putting-her-in-a-rest-home-she-then-killed-him-police-say

_________________
"I really enjoy sandwiches but the other guys are so good at making sandwiches that I don't make them. Now I make sandwiches."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4548
meatwad wrote:
I sometimes wonder if people were faced with seeing the real-life consequences of gun violence on the news if it would change their feelings about guns and gun control. Like if they showed the crime scene photos from a mass shooting, unedited. Dead kids. I know this had a lot to do with changing people's view on the war in Viet Nam. Thoughts?



Sam Harris covered this recently... I don't remember the conclusion but I think it was do NOT do it because it would demonstrate the effectiveness of violence on causing your 'enemies' suffering.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 9:52 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34579
Location: Donkeys live a long time.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 8:40 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1442
https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark- ... -diy-guns/

Cody Wilson, you magnificent bastard.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6243
Location: Washington State
why would you want to download a gun? I can't download a car or a movie, but apparently a gun is ok?
Quote:
When reporters and critics have repeatedly pointed out those potential consequences of Wilson's work over the last five years, he has argued that he’s not seeking to arm criminals or the insane or to cause the deaths of innocents. But nor is he moved enough by those possibilities to give up what he hopes could be, in a new era of digital fabrication, the winning move in the battle over access to guns.

With his new legal victory and the Pandora's box of DIY weapons it opens, Wilson says he's finally fulfilling that mission. “All this Parkland stuff, the students, all these dreams of ‘common sense gun reforms'? No. The internet will serve guns, the gun is downloadable.” Wilson says now. “No amount of petitions or die-ins or anything else can change that."
How about working towards making something useful downloadable, like pizza?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Wed July 11, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4548
simple schoolboy wrote:
https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/

Cody Wilson, you magnificent bastard.


Didn’t we talk about this like 5 years ago?

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 12, 2018 12:17 am 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33130
Location: Buenos Aires
You wouldn't download a car


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 12, 2018 12:22 am 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34579
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
And I just wasted all this resin on printing mouse sculpts. Gun parts are where the real money is.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 12, 2018 6:44 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1442
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/

Cody Wilson, you magnificent bastard.


Didn’t we talk about this like 5 years ago?


Yeah, but now he won his lawsuit.

I liked that Australia has 14 year jailterms for wrongcode. I imagine they treat wrongspeech similarly.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu July 12, 2018 7:09 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1442
bune wrote:
why would you want to download a gun? I can't download a car or a movie, but apparently a gun is ok?
Quote:
When reporters and critics have repeatedly pointed out those potential consequences of Wilson's work over the last five years, he has argued that he’s not seeking to arm criminals or the insane or to cause the deaths of innocents. But nor is he moved enough by those possibilities to give up what he hopes could be, in a new era of digital fabrication, the winning move in the battle over access to guns.

With his new legal victory and the Pandora's box of DIY weapons it opens, Wilson says he's finally fulfilling that mission. “All this Parkland stuff, the students, all these dreams of ‘common sense gun reforms'? No. The internet will serve guns, the gun is downloadable.” Wilson says now. “No amount of petitions or die-ins or anything else can change that."
How about working towards making something useful downloadable, like pizza?


For those not familiar: this group so far focuses on code for components of conventional guns that are regulated. The bits that normally contain the serial number are regulated, and everything else can be purchased over the counter.

The bits that require the serial number don't normally need to be made of heat treated steel, so they can be made with cheaper material/tools than the high wear parts.

We're probably a ways off from home brew high quality rifled barrels, but unless we start controlling a lot more gun parts, the important stuff is now free to all. :thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri July 13, 2018 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13557
theplatypus wrote:
You wouldn't download a car



This is a great reference and post and thank you.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun July 15, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri March 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 9444
Location: 41.1716° S, 174.8248° E

_________________
"I really enjoy sandwiches but the other guys are so good at making sandwiches that I don't make them. Now I make sandwiches."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun July 15, 2018 8:44 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33130
Location: Buenos Aires
7:10 He said it! He said maii waiffe


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun July 15, 2018 8:47 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33130
Location: Buenos Aires
Holy shit this video :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Mon July 16, 2018 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
theplatypus wrote:
Holy shit this video :lol:

I had just come here to post this link. :thumbsup: , rangi


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 137  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: meatwad and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu November 15, 2018 6:55 am