The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back by unpopular demand... US drone program
PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 6:17 pm 
AnalLog

4/5 wrote:
It's scary to me how many people really and truly feel like this is fine.

I don't see how it's any different than using a helicopter to track him or anyone else in extraordinary situations.

Now if you're talking about round the clock flybys and surveillance that is a different issue.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 6:35 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

4/5 wrote:

If this is in response to me, I was mostly making fun of LAPD's propensity to shoot everything that moves. Normally they don't need a justification of a cop-killer on the loose but it certainly doesn't improve their judgement or marksmanship.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 7:46 pm 
See you in another life, brother

simple schoolboy wrote:
4/5 wrote:

If this is in response to me

It wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 7:53 pm 
See you in another life, brother

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
4/5 wrote:

so 4/5, are you not fine with using a surveillance-only drone to search for this ex-cop?

To me, the "for this ex-cop" part is irrelevant. No, I'm not fine with using a surveillance-only drone to search for people.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 8:13 pm 
AnalLog

Men Love Drone Strikes More Than Women

http://gizmodo.com/5983539/men-love-dro ... than-women

Also, love the 1st comment:
What kind of faggot likes drones over women? Given a choice I'd slam some fresh pussy any day of the week over some flying piece of metal.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 10:14 pm 
AnalLog

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Apparently a drone was used to hunt Chris Dorner, the rouge LAPD officer who murdered 3 people last week.

Using an unmanned drone for search of a dangerous fugitive - is it any different than using a manned LAPD helicopter?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a problem with this, but it obviously points out that there need to be some legislation to regulate when this is allowed.

Would you feel different if a drone were to successfully kill Dorner after locating him?

On this situation yes. He's a serial murderer who has his eyes set on avenging those that fucked him over or anyone who may possibly be in his way. And I feel like he could kill dozens more if given a chance.

Again this doesn't mean carte blanche for future issues and that this is a scary precedent.

Unfortunately it looks like I was right. He attacked another couple and shot 2 more cops. If the best way to take out a guy like this is with a drone, so it goes.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 10:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:

As opposed to kicking a door in and shooting them in the face person to person?

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 11:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
4/5 wrote:

As opposed to kicking a door in and shooting them in the face person to person setting the building on fire, killing all inside and letting god sort them out?

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2013 12:40 am 
Future Drummer

One of my fears about these drones is how we control them. Iran was able to basically trick one into landing where they could retrieve it. Assuming they were aided by China in doing this, which analysts have said is likely, how else can the Chinese trick these things?

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2013 4:52 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

broken iris wrote:
One of my fears about these drones is how we control them. Iran was able to basically trick one into landing where they could retrieve it. Assuming they were aided by China in doing this, which analysts have said is likely, how else can the Chinese trick these things?

There's concern that the radar on the drone might be of particular use for the warhead on China's ballistic anti-ship missile. Whether or not China was involved with the capture, undoubtedly chinese engineers got a good look at all its components, much like the stealthy blackhawk that crashed in Pakistan. I say we retire a couple of our carrier battlegroups and pass the savings on to China's neighbors. Vietnam has a good history of resisting Chinese aggression.

Back to the topic: the only real difference between police helicopters and drones is cost of use. Police have to prioritise helicopters for only special occasions. Drones might make it too easy/cost effective for general surveillance, much like they make it too easy to kill 'bad guys' overseas.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2013 12:25 pm 
Future Drummer

simple schoolboy wrote:
broken iris wrote:

There's concern that the radar on the drone might be of particular use for the warhead on China's ballistic anti-ship missile. Whether or not China was involved with the capture, undoubtedly chinese engineers got a good look at all its components, much like the stealthy blackhawk that crashed in Pakistan. I say we retire a couple of our carrier battlegroups and pass the savings on to China's neighbors. Vietnam has a good history of resisting Chinese aggression.

If the stories about GPS spoofing being what defeated the drone in Iran are true, then the command/control of drones may have serious issues. We wouldn't want a drone helicopter that was sent to resupply troops kamikaze into them instead. China could "open source" the electronic warfare methods it uses to defeat the drones and cripple a whole generation of them.

simple schoolboy wrote:
Back to the topic: the only real difference between police helicopters and drones is cost of use. Police have to prioritise helicopters for only special occasions. Drones might make it too easy/cost effective for general surveillance, much like they make it too easy to kill 'bad guys' overseas.

Well, it's also civil liberties. Drones can see things (and through things) that a donut-muncher with a pair of binoculars cannot so transparency and oversight are very important. They could fly around looking for unpermitted decks just as easily as they could look for exhausted chemical gas from drug manufacturing or track a stolen car.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2013 7:07 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

4/5 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
4/5 wrote:

so 4/5, are you not fine with using a surveillance-only drone to search for this ex-cop?

To me, the "for this ex-cop" part is irrelevant. No, I'm not fine with using a surveillance-only drone to search for people.

I'm curious as to how it would be different than using an LAPD chopper in the skies searching for this guy, or anyone? I'm trying to learn both sides here.

PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2013 3:45 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
Men Love Drone Strikes More Than Women

http://gizmodo.com/5983539/men-love-dro ... than-women

Also, love the 1st comment:
What kind of faggot likes drones over women? Given a choice I'd slam some fresh pussy any day of the week over some flying piece of metal.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 5:27 am 
A Return To Form

another day, another child killed...

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworl ... cation=rss

c'est la vie, amirite America?

PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 1:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Man in Black wrote:
another day, another child killed...

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworl ... cation=rss

c'est la vie, amirite America?

We can hardly get Americans to care that LA cops lit up a newspaper delivery truck. Why should they care when we kill brown people over there?

With New Yorks "Stop and Frisk" policy and the widespread police misconduct that only gets prosecuted with sufficent video evidence (see Oscar Grant) we might as well be an occupied country. In the aggregate we may very well deserve the government we have, but for the rest of us why do they wonder why we aren't super stoked for a state monopoly of force?

PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 1:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

It would be interesting to see if the Taliban would use Lindsey Grahams words the other way around. We're at war, and sometimes you kill innocent people and we hate that, but we took out the world trade center and got noticed, so it was worth it.

Individually speaking, it's a pretty stupid quote though I understand the justification.

The US government has decided to fight a global war outside of its borders for a variety of reasons, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and more politically effective at home to fight it with drones than US troops.

It's just sort of interesting that they have all this technology yet they use something as crude as a missile. Surely Drone Snipers are soon to come, and the LAPD will fuck that up too.

PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 2:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
It would be interesting to see if the Taliban would use Lindsey Grahams words the other way around. We're at war, and sometimes you kill innocent people and we hate that, but we took out the world trade center and got noticed, so it was worth it.

Individually speaking, it's a pretty stupid quote though I understand the justification.

The US government has decided to fight a global war outside of its borders for a variety of reasons, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and more politically effective at home to fight it with drones than US troops.

It's just sort of interesting that they have all this technology yet they use something as crude as a missile. Surely Drone Snipers are soon to come, and the LAPD will fuck that up too.

Its really hard to stabilize a gun from a flying platform. Sure, it works for strafing (when accuracy isn't a huge issue) but you have to factor in the recoil from the gun if you want a follow up shot. No, their prescription for civilian casualties is simply a smaller missile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-176_Griffin. Perhaps they will go smaller than that.

Also, whats so crude about a missile? 20th (or 21st, depending on how elaborate it is) versus 19th century technology for a fixed case, rifled bullet.

PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 3:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

simple schoolboy wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Its really hard to stabilize a gun from a flying platform. Sure, it works for strafing (when accuracy isn't a huge issue) but you have to factor in the recoil from the gun if you want a follow up shot. No, their prescription for civilian casualties is simply a smaller missile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-176_Griffin. Perhaps they will go smaller than that.

Also, whats so crude about a missile? 20th (or 21st, depending on how elaborate it is) versus 19th century technology for a fixed case, rifled bullet.

The girls parents who died when unintended schrapnel hit their child probably find them crude is all I meant. Compared to conventional bombs they are pretty genius, but in this situation (killing 2 people) it's a little like killing a fly with a brick. Just saying. In the context of this thread, where we're talking mostly about unintended casualties, a couple of well positioned snipers are the only military option I'd think that would produce less collateral damage if that option were possible.

PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 4:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Don't forget lots of the drone strikes have 'double taps'.

PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 6:45 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

simple schoolboy wrote:
we might as well be an occupied country.

Have you ever been to an 'occupied' country? If we were an occupied country, we would be praying for the good old days of 'stop and frisk'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate