The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back by unpopular demand... US drone program
PostPosted: Mon February 25, 2013 11:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
we might as well be an occupied country.

Have you ever been to an 'occupied' country? If we were an occupied country, we would be praying for the good old days of 'stop and frisk'.

I certainly hope our troops are better shots than the LAPD.

PostPosted: Tue February 26, 2013 8:16 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
we might as well be an occupied country.

Have you ever been to an 'occupied' country? If we were an occupied country, we would be praying for the good old days of 'stop and frisk'.

Also, we treat brown people differently than white folk. Think occupied Vichy France more than Iraq or Afghanistan. Heck, the police in France even helped to turn in Jews. I can't imagine the average gentile Parisan in 1940-44 had a worse time than the average white person in New York as far as interactions with the local police go. Its a matter of degrees, not a matter of underlying philosophy.

I get it, you love the police/war state. You served your country honorably. Your actions are not one and the same as of the state. We justified a war with King George under conditions less contentious than this. I suppose terrorist suspects get a jury trial, but probably only 3 years after they are held, if they are lucky.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 12:20 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Wait what? I don't love a police state, and I certainly don't live in one. If I did, I wouldn't be able to do half the shit I do in my life. And how presumptuous/douchey of you to assume that because I served my country that I would enjoy living in a military state.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 12:24 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Also, I wasn't referring to Iraq our Afghanistan. I saw first hand what Slobodan Milosivec did in Serbia. I'm not saying that makes my opinion any better than anyone else, but it does give me perspective on how well we have it, no matter what you think of our law enforcement.

Last edited by E.H. Ruddock on Wed February 27, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 12:31 am 

I really hate it when people make the generalization that because I served in the military I have uber conservative views on the world.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 12:31 am 

That is all.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 12:43 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

To be fair, most people love the militarization of the police. Just like most people like drones.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 4:00 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I really hate it when people make the generalization that because I served in the military I have uber conservative views on the world.

Littlewing wannabe.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 4:01 pm 
AnalLog

simple schoolboy wrote:
To be fair, most people love the militarization of the police. Just like most people like drones.

Absolutely. I love it when police beat the shit out of everyone, esp women, the elderly and homeless children.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 5:25 pm 

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Absolutely. I love it when police beat the shit out of everyone, esp women, the elderly and homeless children.

Yes because this is a common occurrence that most people see on a daily basis. As a matter of fact, I was walking down the street at lunch yesterday and saw a cop beat an elderly homeless woman with a child! Just a normal Tuesday for most of us living here in a police state, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 5:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

As a former cops reporter in 2 different cities, I must say the thought of local law-enforcement agencies with drones scares the living shit out of me.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 5:54 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Yes because this is a common occurrence that most people see on a daily basis. As a matter of fact, I was walking down the street at lunch yesterday and saw a cop beat an elderly homeless woman with a child! Just a normal Tuesday for most of us living here in a police state, I suppose.

God Bless the US!

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 6:38 pm 

turned2black wrote:
As a former cops reporter in 2 different cities, I must say the thought of local law-enforcement agencies with drones scares the living shit out of me.

How is this worse than the LAPD flying around with armed officers above the city? I'm sure the drone they use is for surveillance only and is not armed. So how is it different than the LAPD helicopters flying overhead?

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 6:41 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

HEY RUDDO HERE'S A T-SHIRT FOR YOU

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 6:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
turned2black wrote:

How is this worse than the LAPD flying around with armed officers above the city? I'm sure the drone they use is for surveillance only and is not armed. So how is it different than the LAPD helicopters flying overhead?

Drones are basically remote death machines with virtually no rules or guidelines on where, when and why they can be used. Even if they are not currently armed, the possibilities for abuse are endless.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 6:47 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
HEY RUDDO HERE'S A T-SHIRT FOR YOU

I don't like the Village People, Jorge.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 6:50 pm 

turned2black wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
turned2black wrote:

Drones are basically remote death machines with virtually no rules or guidelines on where, when and why they can be used. Even if they are not currently armed, the possibilities for abuse are endless.

So if your kid was lost in the woods or a serial killer was loose in your neighborhood, and your city's PD had a surveillance-only drone with infrared tech, you would be agains them using it? I mean, there is possibility for abuse in all kinds of law enforcement arenas, so I'm not sure what I'm even arguing here.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 6:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
turned2black wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
turned2black wrote:

So if your kid was lost in the woods or a serial killer was loose in your neighborhood, and your city's PD had a surveillance-only drone with infrared tech, you would be agains them using it? I mean, there is possibility for abuse in all kinds of law enforcement arenas, so I'm not sure what I'm even arguing here.

Which kid? J/K.
Yes, I would be against it. I think drone surveillance of any kind is a horrible idea.

PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 8:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

turned2black wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
turned2black wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
turned2black wrote:

Which kid? J/K.
Yes, I would be against it. I think drone surveillance of any kind is a horrible idea.

Drone surveillance or any kind of surveillance? In other words, is your problem more with the fact that there are no real legal curtailments of drone use yet, or are you more distrusting of any government spying in general?

PostPosted: Thu February 28, 2013 9:06 am 
A Return To Form

Hey here's Robert Gibbs admitting that lying about the drone program was official policy.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... rones.html

"transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency" - Barack Obama

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate