The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back by unpopular demand... US drone program
PostPosted: Fri February 08, 2013 7:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
4/5 wrote:
It's not just you. But I'm wondering if you're okay with drone strikes against alleged domestic terrorists who are not in the midst of carrying out an attack as well?

We really haven't had a situation domestically where people would be "ok" with attacking citizens, enemies, or both on our home soil. I think the majority of Americans would currently be against it, but if things such as suicide bombings became a somewhat frequent event here, I wonder how the opinion would change?

If you label the target racist sepratists, most people would be okay with droning them. If we had Predators back in the Ruby Ridge days, it would have saved the feds some money and the body count wouldn't have changed by much.

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 6:15 am 
A Return To Form

Feinstein, simply unable to admit to the full-scale of what's occuring, or engaging in a cover-up for Obama?

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/08/fact_ch ... singleton/

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 1:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/07/liberal ... rones_too/

This was interesting also.

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 4:15 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

"in a foreign country" is part of the first sentence of the white paper. http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/secti ... _Paper.pdf

this isn't about killing an american on american soil

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 4:19 pm 

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 7:58 pm 
A Return To Form

Electromatic wrote:
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/07/liberals_love_drones_too/

This was interesting also.

I wonder if the numbers would move if the true scope of civilian casualties was made known.

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 8:06 pm 
A Return To Form

dkfan9 wrote:

Nada, the fact is it's impossible to know exactly how many civilians are being killed by drones.
Estimates are all over the place...from a "few" to over a thousand. Would special ops be more
or less efficient? Seems like quite a hypothetical, although we seemed to get OBL with no civilians killed.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 4:47 pm 
Future Drummer

Apparently a drone was used to hunt Chris Dorner, the rouge LAPD officer who murdered 3 people last week.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 4:51 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

broken iris wrote:
Apparently a drone was used to hunt Chris Dorner, the rouge LAPD officer who murdered 3 people last week.

This entire situation is incredibly disturbing.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 6:04 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

broken iris wrote:

Using an unmanned drone for search of a dangerous fugitive - is it any different than using a manned LAPD helicopter?

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 6:24 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
broken iris wrote:

Using an unmanned drone for search of a dangerous fugitive - is it any different than using a manned LAPD helicopter?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a problem with this, but it obviously points out that there need to be some legislation to regulate when this is allowed.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sweati ... app,31219/

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 9:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

I feel like technology has vastly outpaced the knowlege base and thought process behind using that new techology as a weapon of war. Using drones, keeps American servicemen out of harms way so it's very simple to see why they would be embraced in this sort of a role. In the past 60 years or so attempts have been made to make munitions "smarter" and to cause less collateral damage. I think what your argument here is MIB, is that these drone strikes are being billed and sold as if they are precise weapons of war only killing terrorists, when in fact their use has been so common place and with such little oversite they are killing a lot of people that they should not be killing and this whole policy needs to be examined. I don't think using drones on the whole is unmerited, but the video game detachment that exists with drone strikes and killing civilians needlessly is absolutely an issue that needs to be discussed at length. If possible feasability should be considered prior to any drone strike as there would be for any incursion team, and if a strike team is the best option, they should use the strike team. Part of the reason drones are so popular with the executive branch and CIA is probably because they don't have many hard and fast rules to follow and it is fairly difficult for the public to discern how many civilians are dying as a result of strikes. So the pressure to have a real policy hasn't been there, even though the president continues to tell people he's being transparent.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 10:40 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 5:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

dkfan9 wrote:
"in a foreign country" is part of the first sentence of the white paper. http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/secti ... _Paper.pdf

this isn't about killing an american on american soil

Thats not to say that the same justifications couldn't be used domestically.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 5:19 pm 
Future Drummer

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
broken iris wrote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a problem with this, but it obviously points out that there need to be some legislation to regulate when this is allowed.

Would you feel different if a drone were to successfully kill Dorner after locating him?

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 5:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

broken iris wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
broken iris wrote:

Would you feel different if a drone were to successfully kill Dorner after locating him?

In this particular incidence such an outcome would be undoubtedly safer for the residents of Southern California. Its pretty clear that the police already have shoot on sight orders which seem to apply to anyone driving a pickup.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 5:53 pm 
See you in another life, brother

It's scary to me how many people really and truly feel like this is fine.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 6:15 pm 
AnalLog

broken iris wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
broken iris wrote:

On this situation yes. He's a serial murderer who has his eyes set on avenging those that fucked him over or anyone who may possibly be in his way. And I feel like he could kill dozens more if given a chance.

Again this doesn't mean carte blanche for future issues and that this is a scary precedent.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 6:17 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

4/5 wrote:
It's scary to me how many people really and truly feel like this is fine.

so 4/5, are you not fine with using a surveillance-only drone to search for this ex-cop?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate