Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Not worthy of a thread News

Wed August 05, 2020 8:11 pm

Jorge wrote:Alvaro Uribe has been put on house arrest during his trial for witness tampering, and my various social media timelines are going crazy -- some are celebrating gleefully that he's finally facing any kind of justice, some are upset that he's on trial at all. My family is close to Uribe (his son is married to my cousin, so he's tight with my dad and uncles and has attended various family events) so they're outraged despite the fact that the evidence against him seems so clear. Uribe fanatics are very much like Trump fanatics in that he could do just about anything and they'd still love him

Now him, his sons, and potentially my cousin all have Covid

Thu August 06, 2020 1:12 am

Jorge wrote:
Jorge wrote:Alvaro Uribe has been put on house arrest during his trial for witness tampering, and my various social media timelines are going crazy -- some are celebrating gleefully that he's finally facing any kind of justice, some are upset that he's on trial at all. My family is close to Uribe (his son is married to my cousin, so he's tight with my dad and uncles and has attended various family events) so they're outraged despite the fact that the evidence against him seems so clear. Uribe fanatics are very much like Trump fanatics in that he could do just about anything and they'd still love him

Now him, his sons, and potentially my cousin all have Covid

sorry, Jorge.

Thu August 06, 2020 1:32 am

damn dude

sorry

Thu August 06, 2020 1:37 am

Don't get me wrong, I would very much like Uribe to die! Not my cousin though, she's cool

Thu August 06, 2020 1:39 am

Yeah please explain your view on his politics and time as pres, even with just a couple sentences

Thu August 06, 2020 1:42 am

i am a fan of bullet points

Thu August 06, 2020 1:44 am

Jorge wrote:Don't get me wrong, I would very much like Uribe to die!

Ok, Mickey

Thu August 06, 2020 1:58 am

tragabigzanda wrote:Yeah please explain your view on his politics and time as pres, even with just a couple sentences

Uribe was instrumental in making Colombia a safer place by dramatically reducing guerrilla presence, especially near cities. Remember how in the 90s all you'd hear about was how Colombia was the kidnapping capital of the world? That more or less went away after Uribe took office. Of course, the way he got there was by slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people, including thousands of innocent civilians, by instituting quotas for law enforcement (the "false positives" scandal). He was as much a president as he was a mob boss, a truly despicable human being with very little regard for human life or due process. He is deeply corrupt and tied up in all kinds of shady shit. But the truth of the matter is that he marked a turning point of what it meant to live in Colombia, which is why so many people (Boomers and older Gen Xers especially) still idolize him, despite the mountains of evidence against him. He still holds a tremendous amount of influence

Thu August 06, 2020 2:09 am

I bet his dinner party stories were a hoot

Thu August 06, 2020 2:09 am

Seriously did you ever get to talk to him directly about the wilder stuff? Any cool insights to what makes him tick ?

Thu August 06, 2020 2:10 am

No, I only met him twice, we didn't really talk. His son married my cousin in 2012 when I was already living in Argentina, and that's when he started hanging out with my family a lot

Thu August 06, 2020 2:29 am

so does he have the sick yayo hookup or what

Thu August 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
Jorge wrote:Don't get me wrong, I would very much like Uribe to die!

Ok, Mickey

Why are all of you so afraid of true victory?

Thu August 06, 2020 6:46 pm

Frustrated Incorporated

US jumps into top 25 countries on 'Misery Index'
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5108 ... sery-index

Thu August 06, 2020 7:35 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Frustrated Incorporated

US jumps into top 25 countries on 'Misery Index'
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5108 ... sery-index

eagle.gif

Mon August 10, 2020 7:00 am

Per a Russian I worked with, Belarus should never have left Russia. Probably considered more Russia proper than Crimea.

Good luck Belarus. I hope the autocrat that ends up ruling you is kind and just. Go people power! *chortle*

Mon August 10, 2020 7:37 pm

The bbc covering a sinking dinghy full of refugees in the English Channel rather than yknow.. helping them.
This is their news today rather than them having the highest death rate in Europe and an oncoming Brexit catastrophe. The narrative is already becoming the asylum seekers are responsible for corona deaths.
Britain is officially And completely gone down the toilet.

Mon August 10, 2020 11:03 pm

Tue August 11, 2020 1:08 am

Can some explain the 2 + 2 = 5 thing?

Tue August 11, 2020 1:31 am

Bi_3 wrote:Can some explain the 2 + 2 = 5 thing?

It’s really 2.5+2.5=5 but when someone is determined to hate the ‘white supremist patriarchy’ they can find it anywhere and rational thought is not required.
Post a reply