The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 9:54 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2199
And again:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41423845


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Fri September 29, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 3860
Location: 5th floor, Bay 8, position 5851
Oh yeah, and there's a huge volcano in Indonesia that's about to blow:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inflating-with-magma-the-signs-that-balis-volcano-is-about-to-blow-1506685479?mod=nwsrl_asia_news&cx_refModule=nwsrl


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Sun October 01, 2017 4:13 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1163
All I know about Catalonia I learned from Orwell. Is this referendum business the act of some angry anarchists disappointed that the marxists won out (temporarily) during the civil war?

Sounds like they need a new Franco to set things right.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Sun October 01, 2017 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12488
It seems to me like two nationalist groups creating a nightmare. Conservative Catalonian nationalists are driving the vote for an independent Catalonia, while conservative Spanish nationalist leadership is prepared to do anything to prevent a referendum.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Sun October 01, 2017 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12488
"There was no referendum vote today" is an amazing claim to make.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Mon October 02, 2017 5:23 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1163
McParadigm wrote:
It seems to me like two nationalist groups creating a nightmare. Conservative Catalonian nationalists are driving the vote for an independent Catalonia, while conservative Spanish nationalist leadership is prepared to do anything to prevent a referendum.


So this has nothing to do with the Spanish Civil War? Count me as disappointed.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Mon October 02, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1539
A good portion of Spain's GDP is generated from the Catalonia region more specifically Barcelona. Combine that with cultural differences from the rest of Spain and the history ie fighting against Franco and this is struggle that will not be ending any time soon.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Mon October 02, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2199
jwfocker wrote:
A good portion of Spain's GDP is generated from the Catalonia region more specifically Barcelona. Combine that with cultural differences from the rest of Spain and the history ie fighting against Franco and this is struggle that will not be ending any time soon.


I'm not knowledgeable at all on on this... has this (a breakaway republic) happened since the Euro was established?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Mon October 02, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28594
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
no that's cool I made a thread for this sort of thing but lets post it here.

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1539
Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
A good portion of Spain's GDP is generated from the Catalonia region more specifically Barcelona. Combine that with cultural differences from the rest of Spain and the history ie fighting against Franco and this is struggle that will not be ending any time soon.


I'm not knowledgeable at all on on this... has this (a breakaway republic) happened since the Euro was established?



I think this could be the first. Not 100% though. I'm pretty sure it's the first that has the potential to dramatically change the landscape of a major country. It will get very interesting if it is successful. I wouldn't be surprised if the Madrid region attempted something similar because those two regions prop up Spain. Without Catalonia and Madrid - Spain will be fucked.

Catalonia has a crazy interesting history.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 9:34 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2199
jwfocker wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
A good portion of Spain's GDP is generated from the Catalonia region more specifically Barcelona. Combine that with cultural differences from the rest of Spain and the history ie fighting against Franco and this is struggle that will not be ending any time soon.


I'm not knowledgeable at all on on this... has this (a breakaway republic) happened since the Euro was established?



I think this could be the first. Not 100% though. I'm pretty sure it's the first that has the potential to dramatically change the landscape of a major country. It will get very interesting if it is successful. I wouldn't be surprised if the Madrid region attempted something similar because those two regions prop up Spain. Without Catalonia and Madrid - Spain will be fucked.

Catalonia has a crazy interesting history.


Interesting. Isn't the north/south Italy argument as well? One side props up the other?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28594
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
that's probably true of most countries.

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28594
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
http://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com/

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 8:57 am 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: Oslo, Norway
Madrid would never break free of Spain, they are Spain. However, the Basque are very likely to try. Galicia unlikely, but more than any other region. Also there is potential of Belgium splitting in two, or Scotland becoming independent.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Sat October 07, 2017 8:42 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: Oslo, Norway

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41533587


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 12:12 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2199
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4970166/Young-men-bromances-romances.html

No shit.

Warning: Sometimes there is NSFW stuff in the side panel of Daily Fail.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
The U.S. airport attempted bombing you didn't hear about

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 4:37 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 26724
Location: don't PM me I don't have anything
theplatypus wrote:
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/08/16/disappearance-protestor-argentina

Argentina has a... history with state-sponsored disappearances, so this is really fucking everyone up

So his bloated carcass was found in the river. They are studying the body but everything so far points to him drowning.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -elections

The political theater around this thing has been truly embarrassing to watch.

_________________
Anders wrote:
Doesn’t matter what gender you are when it comes to matters of the heart.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10615
This was quite fascinating: Why the trial by ordeal was actually an effective test of guilt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Sun October 22, 2017 11:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 30900
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Pretty much my worst nightmare: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-2 ... fmredir=sm


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 24, 2017 6:04 am