The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 321  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 9:14 pm 
The Master

Her conclusion seems pretty reductive/dismissive. Sex (in most cases) is pretty fucking important in a relationship. Not that I’m condoning his cheating, of course, but it’s a complicated situation that requires open communication from both parties. Different people require different things to feel valued, and she seems to give his needs no weight at all. No understanding. Seems like that would make for an awful relationship.

Having kids sounds miserable.

PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 9:29 pm 
Production Police

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Her conclusion seems pretty reductive/dismissive. Sex (in most cases) is pretty fucking important in a relationship. Not that I’m condoning his cheating, of course, but it’s a complicated situation that requires open communication from both parties. Different people require different things to feel valued, and she seems to give his needs no weight at all. No understanding. Seems like that would make for an awful relationship.

Yeah, totally agree. Hopefully I'd have the wherewithal to seek couple's counseling or at least separate before seeking physical intimacy with another partner, but I can guarantee that I'd be a moody pain in the ass if my wife showed me no physical affection for six months straight.

PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 9:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Yeah, totally agree. Hopefully I'd have the wherewithal to seek couple's counseling or at least separate before seeking physical intimacy with another partner, but I can guarantee that I'd be a moody pain in the ass if my wife showed me no physical affection for six months straight.

No kidding. At that point I bet most people start to dissociate sexual intimacy with their partner and the relationship becomes a business not a marriage

PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 10:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:

Jesus that lady sounds insane. This part in particular:
Quote:
I think not feeling like I wanted to have sex was exacerbated by the fact he kept pointing it out to me.

But ...

If we were having sex, he didn't give me a hard time about buying myself a new shirt.

If we were having sex, he did things around the house willingly.

If we were having sex, he acted like he liked me more.

If we were having sex, he complimented me, the way I looked and how I mothered.

If we weren't having sex, that all went away. He said it was because he felt neglected, unhappy and ignored.

It didn't matter that I did his laundry, put it away for him, made him dinner every night and baked his favorite pie or cookies.

It didn't matter that I kept the house clean, and took care of all the kids' appointments and schedules, so he didn't have to worry about it.
Wow.

I wrote and deleted a lot of sentences to that because they were borderline mansplaining and I'm a guy so of course I know what the problem is. I'm just going to let those sentences stand as the part where I no longer understood her POV.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 5:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Modern marriage sounds hilarious

Problem solved.
Quote:
Last summer a group of researchers from Hebrew University and Mount Sinai medical school published a study showing that sperm counts in the U.S., Europe, Australia, and New Zealand have fallen by more than 50 percent over the past four decades. (They judged data from the rest of the world to be insufficient to draw conclusions from, but there are studies suggesting that the trend could be worldwide.) That is to say: We are producing half the sperm our grandfathers did. We are half as fertile.

The Hebrew University/Mount Sinai paper was a meta-analysis by a team of epidemiologists, clinicians, and researchers that culled data from 185 studies, which examined semen from almost 43,000 men. It showed that the human race is apparently on a trend line toward becoming unable to reproduce itself. Sperm counts went from 99 million sperm per milliliter of semen in 1973 to 47 million per milliliter in 2011, and the decline has been accelerating. Would 40 more years—or fewer—bring us all the way to zero?

I called Shanna H. Swan, a reproductive epidemiologist at Mount Sinai and one of the lead authors of the study, to ask if there was any good news hiding behind those brutal numbers. Were we really at risk of extinction? She failed to comfort me. “The What Does It Mean question means extrapolating beyond your data,” Swan said, “which is always a tricky thing. But you can ask, ‘What does it take? When is a species in danger? When is a species threatened?’ And we are definitely on that path.” That path, in its darkest reaches, leads to no more naturally conceived babies and potentially to no babies at all—and the final generation of Homo sapiens will roam the earth knowing they will be the last of their kind.

If we are half as fertile as the generation before us, why haven't we noticed? One answer is that there is a lot of redundancy built into reproduction: You don't need 200 million sperm to fertilize an egg, but that's how many the average man might devote to the job. Most men can still conceive a child naturally with a depressed sperm count, and those who can't have a booming fertility-treatment industry ready to help them. And though lower sperm counts probably have led to a small decrease in the number of children being conceived, that decline has been masked by sociological changes driving birth rates down even faster: People in the developed world are choosing to have fewer children, and they are having them later.

The problem has been debated among fertility scientists for decades now—studies suggesting that sperm counts are declining have been appearing since the '70s—but until Swan and her colleagues' meta-analysis, the results have always been judged incomplete or preliminary. Swan herself had conducted smaller studies on declining sperm counts, but in 2015 she decided it was time for a definitive answer. She teamed up with Hagai Levine, an Israeli epidemiologist, and Niels Jørgensen, a Danish endocrinologist, and along with five others, they set about performing a systematic review and meta-regression analysis—that is, a kind of statistical synthesis of the data. “Hagai is a very good scientist, and he also used to be the head of epidemiology for the Israeli armed forces,” Swan told me. “So he's very good at organizing.” They spent a year working with the data.

“We should hope for the best and prepare for the worst,” said Hagai Levine, a lead author of the study. “And that is the possibility that we will become extinct.”

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:04 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Modern marriage sounds hilarious

Problem solved.
Quote:
Last summer a group of researchers from Hebrew University and Mount Sinai medical school published a study showing that sperm counts in the U.S., Europe, Australia, and New Zealand have fallen by more than 50 percent over the past four decades. (They judged data from the rest of the world to be insufficient to draw conclusions from, but there are studies suggesting that the trend could be worldwide.) That is to say: We are producing half the sperm our grandfathers did. We are half as fertile.

The Hebrew University/Mount Sinai paper was a meta-analysis by a team of epidemiologists, clinicians, and researchers that culled data from 185 studies, which examined semen from almost 43,000 men. It showed that the human race is apparently on a trend line toward becoming unable to reproduce itself. Sperm counts went from 99 million sperm per milliliter of semen in 1973 to 47 million per milliliter in 2011, and the decline has been accelerating. Would 40 more years—or fewer—bring us all the way to zero?

I called Shanna H. Swan, a reproductive epidemiologist at Mount Sinai and one of the lead authors of the study, to ask if there was any good news hiding behind those brutal numbers. Were we really at risk of extinction? She failed to comfort me. “The What Does It Mean question means extrapolating beyond your data,” Swan said, “which is always a tricky thing. But you can ask, ‘What does it take? When is a species in danger? When is a species threatened?’ And we are definitely on that path.” That path, in its darkest reaches, leads to no more naturally conceived babies and potentially to no babies at all—and the final generation of Homo sapiens will roam the earth knowing they will be the last of their kind.

If we are half as fertile as the generation before us, why haven't we noticed? One answer is that there is a lot of redundancy built into reproduction: You don't need 200 million sperm to fertilize an egg, but that's how many the average man might devote to the job. Most men can still conceive a child naturally with a depressed sperm count, and those who can't have a booming fertility-treatment industry ready to help them. And though lower sperm counts probably have led to a small decrease in the number of children being conceived, that decline has been masked by sociological changes driving birth rates down even faster: People in the developed world are choosing to have fewer children, and they are having them later.

The problem has been debated among fertility scientists for decades now—studies suggesting that sperm counts are declining have been appearing since the '70s—but until Swan and her colleagues' meta-analysis, the results have always been judged incomplete or preliminary. Swan herself had conducted smaller studies on declining sperm counts, but in 2015 she decided it was time for a definitive answer. She teamed up with Hagai Levine, an Israeli epidemiologist, and Niels Jørgensen, a Danish endocrinologist, and along with five others, they set about performing a systematic review and meta-regression analysis—that is, a kind of statistical synthesis of the data. “Hagai is a very good scientist, and he also used to be the head of epidemiology for the Israeli armed forces,” Swan told me. “So he's very good at organizing.” They spent a year working with the data.

“We should hope for the best and prepare for the worst,” said Hagai Levine, a lead author of the study. “And that is the possibility that we will become extinct.”

It's all the soy

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

And avocados, I’m sure.

The study itself (and a recent follow up) both point to plastic. It’s not causally demonstrated, but they do document pretty well that as developing nations have become more adoptive of plastic-based consumer goods, so to have their male fertility rates changed.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:25 pm 
Poster of the Year

cell phones in your pocket and laptops on your lap

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 6:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
And avocados, I’m sure.

The study itself (and a recent follow up) both point to plastic. It’s not causally demonstrated, but they do document pretty well that as developing nations have become more adoptive of plastic-based consumer goods, so to have their male fertility rates changed.

Check the sexual orientation of local frogs

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 11:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

theplatypus wrote:

jeeeeeesus.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... a8e18e512f

PostPosted: Thu September 06, 2018 12:13 am 
The Master

What if he’s right

PostPosted: Thu September 06, 2018 4:19 pm 
Gone

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious he is.

PostPosted: Fri September 07, 2018 9:44 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

this is how the zombie apocalypse starts

https://gizmodo.com/passengers-aboard-t ... 1828869086

Passengers Aboard Two More Planes Quarantined After Falling Ill

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri September 07, 2018 2:25 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

BurtReynolds wrote:
this is how the zombie apocalypse starts

https://gizmodo.com/passengers-aboard-t ... 1828869086

Passengers Aboard Two More Planes Quarantined After Falling Ill

"Musical legend Vanilla Ice was aboard the flight and seems to be fine."

PostPosted: Fri September 07, 2018 2:26 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

legend

PostPosted: Fri September 07, 2018 4:06 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Thank God he is ok

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri September 07, 2018 6:58 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
legend

I almost choked on my apple

PostPosted: Mon September 10, 2018 11:20 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

this was leaving planet fitness around 5:10am this morning. i figured there was a fire as there was some faint sirens in the background

shitty iphone camera but the above is heading towards my job. they were working a gas pipeline about a 1/2 mile from our campus (on a hillside)

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.peoples/ ... 013335253/

above is the video of the flames and while you cant see too clear how high they were, keep in mind its about a 1/2 mile away. id estimate at least 250-300 feet high

PostPosted: Mon September 10, 2018 1:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

David Hogg is a tool.

PostPosted: Mon September 10, 2018 2:04 pm 
Production Police

alt take: David Hogg is an 18-year old kid who saw his best friends slaughtered and is doing a fine job of keeping his shit together while giving the NRA a run for their money

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 321  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate