The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 321  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 am 
AnalLog

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:07 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

McParadigm wrote:
I really enjoyed the way that sentence seemed to imply that the tornado only felt safe approaching the hometown because you were out that day.

I feel like I could have stopped it, or at least got a headstart on the looting.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
I really enjoyed the way that sentence seemed to imply that the tornado only felt safe approaching the hometown because you were out that day.

I feel like I could have stopped it, or at least got a headstart on the looting.

I've been to your site.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Atheist State Rep's Secular Invocation Done Over 'In Repentance' By Christian State Rep.

On Tuesday, Arizona's District 26 Rep. Juan Mendez made national headlines for delivering a secular invocation at the beginning of the day's floor session.

Yesterday, District 11 Rep. Steve Smith, apparently, didn't appreciate that at all.

From the Associated Press:

Republican Rep. Steve Smith on Wednesday said the prayer offered by Democratic Rep. Juan Mendez of Tempe at the beginning of the previous day's floor session wasn't a prayer at all. So he asked other members to join him in a second daily prayer in "repentance," and about half the 60-member body did so. Both the Arizona House and Senate begin their sessions with a prayer and a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.
"When there's a time set aside to pray and to pledge, if you are a non-believer, don't ask for time to pray," said Smith, of Maricopa. "If you don't love this nation and want to pledge to it, don't say I want to lead this body in the pledge, and stand up there and say, 'you know what, instead of pledging, I love England' and (sit) down.

"That's not a pledge, and that wasn't a prayer, it's that simple," Smith said.

Rep. Jamescita Peshlakai, who represents a northern Arizona district on the Navajo reservation, did take offense. She said Smith's criticism of another member's faith, or lack of it, was wrong.

"I want to remind the House and my colleagues and everybody here that several of us here are not Christianized. I'm a traditional Navajo, so I stand here every day and participate in prayers," even without personally embracing them, said Peshlakai, D-Cameron. "This is the United States, this is America, and we all represent different people ... and you need to respect that. Your God is no more powerful than my God. We all come from the same creator."

Considering that Smith was so offended by Mendez's non-prayer, it sure seems that Mendez must have said some horribly offensive things, right? Well, let's take a read for ourselves:

Most prayers in this room being with a request to bow your heads. I would ask that you not bow your heads. I would like to ask that you take a moment to look around the room at all the men and women here, in this moment, sharing this extraordinary experience of being alive and dedicating ourselves to improving the lives of the people of our state.
This is a room in which there are many challenging debates, many moments of tension, of ideological division, of frustration. But this is also a room where, as my secular humanist tradition stresses, by the very fact of being human, we have much more in common than we have differences. We share the same spectrum of potential for care, for compassion, for fear, for joy, for love.

Carl Sagan once wrote, "For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love."

There is, in the political process, much to bear. In this room, let us cherish and celebrate our shared humanness, our shared capacity for reason and compassion, our shared love for the people of our state, for our constitution and for our democracy. And let us root our policy-making process in these values that are relevant to all Arizonans regardless of religious belief or non-belief. In gratitude and in love, in reason and in compassion, let us work together for a better Arizona.

Thank you.

How dare Mendez say such things about the Arizona Legislature! I'm pretty sure you can get removed from office for baldly-untrue claims, saying that members of the House have the capacity for reason and logic!

Smith's response was an overreaction of the highest order to what should be a non-issue in a country that enumerated one's right to freedom of religion — even if your religion happens to be a celebration of one's fellow man, rather than an omnipotent creator.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... -state-rep

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

feel like maybe I took this too literally...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 pm 
Future Drummer

:haha:

Oh America.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-year-ol ... 34921.html

8-Year-Old Suspended Over Gun-Shaped Pop-Tart Gets Lifetime NRA Membership

The National Rifle Association has given an 8-year-old boy a free lifetime membership, the Baltimore Sun reports. His achievement was chewing a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun.

Joshua Welch (Screenshot/Baltimore Sun)The NRA gave Joshua Welch the free membership — which usually costs $550 — at a fundraiser Wednesday night for Anne Arundel County Republicans. Welch returned to playing games on his cellphone after he got the award, the Sun reported.

Welch got on the news after his March 1 suspension from Park Elementary School for the Pop-Tart incident. He was 7 then and denied trying to make the Pop-Tart look like a weapon.

When pressed by a CBS Baltimore reporter, though, Welch said, "When I was done, it turned out to be a gun, yeah."

Park Elementary told parents it would give counseling to any children who needed it after the Pop-Tart incident.

A lawyer has filed an appeal to get the two-day suspension off Welch's record.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:27 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

lol @ "incident"

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:41 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I see a huge big lawsuit/payout in this little guys immediate future

http://joe.ie/sports/us-sports/horrific ... -0038439-1

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:17 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Interesting..

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:45 pm 

PostPosted: Fri June 07, 2013 12:49 am 
Rank This Poster

this happened a couple blocks from my work

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... lapse.html

PostPosted: Fri June 07, 2013 12:57 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Vladimir Putin is getting a divorce.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 11:58 pm 

I really hope schoolbus driver Johnny Cock gets his job back. Johnny is slang for condom here, cock, well, you might have that one)

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/22418 ... hungry-kid

Last edited by dimejinky99 on Tue June 11, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2013 12:00 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

dimejinky99 wrote:

Can't say I hate these.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Admin

The Habit one would have been even more accurate if they used a picture of Joe Camel. That would have given "speaking as a child of the 90s" even more meaning.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2013 12:25 am 

theplatypus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Can't say I hate these.

I can probably hook you up Jorge.

A guy in one of the PJ whatsapp groups knows a guy etc

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2013 12:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

dimejinky99 wrote:

I hate these.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2013 12:31 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

dimejinky99 wrote:
I can probably hook you up Jorge.

A guy in one of the PJ whatsapp groups knows a guy etc

Appreciate the offer. I don't want to buy them, but I think they're better than those ugly Ten Club stickers they send out.

PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2013 12:36 am 

The efforts a lot of the touring fans go to is incredible. It's very often better designed and better quality than 10c merch.

But then, the touring fans are actually doing it out of love. Not for commerce.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 321  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate