Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: The Brexit

Fri June 24, 2016 3:31 am

montreal used to be the financial capital of canada

then the french separatists got all uppity

and the financial companies all fled to toronto

so i have heard

i wonder what Brittania's financial hellscape will be like 15 years from now

will LIBOR-rigging relocate to Frankfurt?

will Russian and Chinese money launderers still seek out London real estate?

will jaguar go bankrupt? again?

Fri June 24, 2016 3:35 am

Birds in Hell wrote:This is history-before-your-eyes stuff.

Just incredible.

I'm curious as to why you're pro-Brexit. I haven't followed this thing at all or looked at the pros or cons of either side, so I can't have an informed debate. All I know is that everyone I know in the UK appears to be completely despondent right now. Those who aren't in bed, anyway.

Fri June 24, 2016 3:49 am

theplatypus wrote:Did your brain jump to the Japan example because "oiko" sounds a bit like a Japanese word?

I think Greek. Like the yoghurt.

Fri June 24, 2016 4:20 am

I'm at work so limited in what I have time to write/think, perhaps later tonight.

Bob Loblaw wrote:Wonder how many of those who voted "Leave" did so for non-xenophobic, non-nativist reasons.

Fri June 24, 2016 6:08 am

Sinn Fein is talking about an Irish unification referendum in response. Don't think it would pass in the north but it's interesting regardless. They're saying they want vote of the whole island which would violate the Good Friday agreement.

Fri June 24, 2016 6:58 am

Birds in Hell wrote:This is history-before-your-eyes stuff.

Just incredible.

Watching/trading the markets right now is very 2008/2009.

The fucking Pound was down 11% against the dollar! It's not down 8.5%. This is unheard of stuff.

Fri June 24, 2016 7:00 am

Birds in Hell wrote:I'm at work so limited in what I have time to write/think, perhaps later tonight.

Bob Loblaw wrote:Wonder how many of those who voted "Leave" did so for non-xenophobic, non-nativist reasons.

Yah, um, GW Bush got re-elected. How did that happen?

Sadly, it's not that people are racist - it's that they are at ropes end.

Fri June 24, 2016 7:26 am

Wow, Cameron has resigned.

Fri June 24, 2016 7:35 am

Twitter is shitting itself with impotent rage.

Fri June 24, 2016 8:20 am

Fri June 24, 2016 10:05 am

ABNorman wrote:

That is amazing

Fri June 24, 2016 10:16 am

I think that neatly captures the two main factors that would've most compelled me to vote Leave (where I able to): sovereignty, immigration.

I think it's an important symbolic victory too. It's deciding what kind of future you want to live in.

Fri June 24, 2016 10:23 am

Isn't there a bit of irony that after centuries of denying independence to the likes of Ireland, Scotland, India, Hong Kong, etc; many British are citing the desire for self determination as the reason to leave the EU?

Fri June 24, 2016 10:31 am

It'll be interesting to see what deals are made.

If Britain wants in on the free trade market, it's almost certainly going to have to accept most of the regulations anyway, including free movement, which would negate the immigration control argument. And of course, now they wont have any say on those regulations.

Or, of course, they can negotiate a less favourable deal and pass the cost onto the taxpayer, and cut some stuff - and then everyone can go "Oooooh, right. So it wasn't just the EU that was shitty, but our government too? Dang."

I'm glad I'm many years away from pension age - plenty of time for things to settle down.

Fri June 24, 2016 10:34 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:Sinn Fein is talking about an Irish unification referendum in response. Don't think it would pass in the north but it's interesting regardless. They're saying they want vote of the whole island which would violate the Good Friday agreement.

There is some sort of function for another poll of the people in the agreement and of course Sinn Fein are jumping up and down about it now, but Britain leaving is possibly catastrophic for Irelands economy. They're our biggest trading partner and the two countries depend on each other's performance deeply. Our government will not entertain SF pushing for reunification at all, this is gonna take 10 years to level off they're saying.

Fri June 24, 2016 10:36 am

Birds in Hell wrote:
... the two main factors that would've most compelled me to vote Leave (where I able to): sovereignty, immigration.

I think it's an important symbolic victory too. It's deciding what kind of future you want to live in.

Exactly. And it's not like a giant TrumpWall suddenly appeared in the channel this morning. It's the usual social media hysterics.

cutuphalfdead wrote:Isn't there a bit of irony that after centuries of denying independence to the likes of Ireland, Scotland, India, Hong Kong, etc; many British are citing the desire for self determination as the reason to leave the EU?

Sometimes people learn from their mistakes. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fri June 24, 2016 10:39 am

Like the man said. Brits went around colonising 90% of the world. And now they're complaining about immigration.

Fri June 24, 2016 10:44 am

#NotAllColonisers

Fri June 24, 2016 10:46 am

dimejinky99 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:Sinn Fein is talking about an Irish unification referendum in response. Don't think it would pass in the north but it's interesting regardless. They're saying they want vote of the whole island which would violate the Good Friday agreement.

There is some sort of function for another poll of the people in the agreement and of course Sinn Fein are jumping up and down about it now, but Britain leaving is possibly catastrophic for Irelands economy. They're our biggest trading partner and the two countries depend on each other's performance deeply. Our government will not entertain SF pushing for reunification at all, this is gonna take 10 years to level off they're saying.

I've been waiting for you all morning, David.

Someday, I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on modern day Irish Republicanism.

Fri June 24, 2016 10:50 am

dimejinky99 wrote:Like the man said. Brits went around colonising 90% of the world. And now they're complaining about immigration.

cutuphalfdead wrote:Isn't there a bit of irony that after centuries of denying independence to the likes of Ireland, Scotland, India, Hong Kong, etc; many British are citing the desire for self determination as the reason to leave the EU?

Sounds like they finally learned the right lesson. Self determination and sovereignty rule.
Post a reply