The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 90  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 19079
montreal used to be the financial capital of canada

then the french separatists got all uppity

and the financial companies all fled to toronto

so i have heard

i wonder what Brittania's financial hellscape will be like 15 years from now

will LIBOR-rigging relocate to Frankfurt?

will Russian and Chinese money launderers still seek out London real estate?

will jaguar go bankrupt? again?

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 3:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 39537
Location: Buenos Aires
Birds in Hell wrote:
This is history-before-your-eyes stuff.

Just incredible.


I'm curious as to why you're pro-Brexit. I haven't followed this thing at all or looked at the pros or cons of either side, so I can't have an informed debate. All I know is that everyone I know in the UK appears to be completely despondent right now. Those who aren't in bed, anyway.

_________________
About Mickey Mouse, Anders wrote:
He's a loyal and true friend, and has daredevil guts and determination. He's doesn't hold back when faced with autority, and is unpredictable in his actions.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 3:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 21303
theplatypus wrote:
Did your brain jump to the Japan example because "oiko" sounds a bit like a Japanese word?

I think Greek. Like the yoghurt.

_________________
Self wrote:
I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 4:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 13941
I'm at work so limited in what I have time to write/think, perhaps later tonight.

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Wonder how many of those who voted "Leave" did so for non-xenophobic, non-nativist reasons.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 6:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 56255
Location: Sector 7-G
Sinn Fein is talking about an Irish unification referendum in response. Don't think it would pass in the north but it's interesting regardless. They're saying they want vote of the whole island which would violate the Good Friday agreement.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 4:46 pm
Posts: 1004
Birds in Hell wrote:
This is history-before-your-eyes stuff.

Just incredible.


Watching/trading the markets right now is very 2008/2009.

The fucking Pound was down 11% against the dollar! It's not down 8.5%. This is unheard of stuff.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 7:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 4:46 pm
Posts: 1004
Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm at work so limited in what I have time to write/think, perhaps later tonight.

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Wonder how many of those who voted "Leave" did so for non-xenophobic, non-nativist reasons.



Yah, um, GW Bush got re-elected. How did that happen?

Sadly, it's not that people are racist - it's that they are at ropes end.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 13941
Wow, Cameron has resigned.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 7:35 am 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 42228
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Twitter is shitting itself with impotent rage.

Image

_________________
verily, if life had no sense, and had I to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me also.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Beef
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 10:16 pm
Posts: 4982

_________________
Rank 'em


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:05 am 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 42228
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
ABNorman wrote:

That is amazing

_________________
verily, if life had no sense, and had I to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me also.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 13941


I think that neatly captures the two main factors that would've most compelled me to vote Leave (where I able to): sovereignty, immigration.

I think it's an important symbolic victory too. It's deciding what kind of future you want to live in.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 56255
Location: Sector 7-G
Isn't there a bit of irony that after centuries of denying independence to the likes of Ireland, Scotland, India, Hong Kong, etc; many British are citing the desire for self determination as the reason to leave the EU?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Beef
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 10:16 pm
Posts: 4982
It'll be interesting to see what deals are made.

If Britain wants in on the free trade market, it's almost certainly going to have to accept most of the regulations anyway, including free movement, which would negate the immigration control argument. And of course, now they wont have any say on those regulations.

Or, of course, they can negotiate a less favourable deal and pass the cost onto the taxpayer, and cut some stuff - and then everyone can go "Oooooh, right. So it wasn't just the EU that was shitty, but our government too? Dang."

I'm glad I'm many years away from pension age - plenty of time for things to settle down.

_________________
Rank 'em


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 31950
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Sinn Fein is talking about an Irish unification referendum in response. Don't think it would pass in the north but it's interesting regardless. They're saying they want vote of the whole island which would violate the Good Friday agreement.



There is some sort of function for another poll of the people in the agreement and of course Sinn Fein are jumping up and down about it now, but Britain leaving is possibly catastrophic for Irelands economy. They're our biggest trading partner and the two countries depend on each other's performance deeply. Our government will not entertain SF pushing for reunification at all, this is gonna take 10 years to level off they're saying.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:36 am 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Mon October 26, 2015 2:04 pm
Posts: 305
Birds in Hell wrote:

... the two main factors that would've most compelled me to vote Leave (where I able to): sovereignty, immigration.

I think it's an important symbolic victory too. It's deciding what kind of future you want to live in.


Exactly. And it's not like a giant TrumpWall suddenly appeared in the channel this morning. It's the usual social media hysterics.


cutuphalfdead wrote:
Isn't there a bit of irony that after centuries of denying independence to the likes of Ireland, Scotland, India, Hong Kong, etc; many British are citing the desire for self determination as the reason to leave the EU?


Sometimes people learn from their mistakes. :shock: :shock: :shock:

_________________
Alex wrote:
i wonder what the supermassive jackhole broken iris would have thought about this

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 31950
Like the man said. Brits went around colonising 90% of the world. And now they're complaining about immigration.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Beef
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 10:16 pm
Posts: 4982
#NotAllColonisers

_________________
Rank 'em


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 56255
Location: Sector 7-G
dimejinky99 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Sinn Fein is talking about an Irish unification referendum in response. Don't think it would pass in the north but it's interesting regardless. They're saying they want vote of the whole island which would violate the Good Friday agreement.



There is some sort of function for another poll of the people in the agreement and of course Sinn Fein are jumping up and down about it now, but Britain leaving is possibly catastrophic for Irelands economy. They're our biggest trading partner and the two countries depend on each other's performance deeply. Our government will not entertain SF pushing for reunification at all, this is gonna take 10 years to level off they're saying.

I've been waiting for you all morning, David.

Someday, I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on modern day Irish Republicanism.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:50 am 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 42228
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
dimejinky99 wrote:
Like the man said. Brits went around colonising 90% of the world. And now they're complaining about immigration.

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Isn't there a bit of irony that after centuries of denying independence to the likes of Ireland, Scotland, India, Hong Kong, etc; many British are citing the desire for self determination as the reason to leave the EU?

Sounds like they finally learned the right lesson. Self determination and sovereignty rule.

_________________
verily, if life had no sense, and had I to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me also.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 90  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurtReynolds, elliseamos, Monkey_Driven and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun September 27, 2020 4:52 am