The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brexit
PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:39 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

LetMeSleep wrote:
Jonathan Pie nailed it. No one is happy with this. People are voting for the lesser of the evils.

This is the problem though. They never explained to the British public what they were voting for. At all. Read this. It’s short. Regular English people in a regular town. The unintentional ignorance about the whole situation is astounding and shocking. Their government never enlightened them And they still haven’t enlightened them cos it’s way too late and nobody’s sure what’s happening or what the outcomes will be.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/u ... 3?mode=amp

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:42 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
No way SF takes seats in Westminster. No fucking way.

Not for this shitshow absolutely not. But the Brits want nothing to do with NI even aside from all this. And now the DUP have them over the barrel. if the motion ever gets tabled to have a referendum on NI reunification (aka them washing their hands of it once and for all) and Dublin agreed, you’d definitely see SF turn up.

Yeah but per the GFA a referendum on Irish reunification won't have anything to do with Westminster.

Not so. Dublin can’t call for it. We’ve given up our claim to it as our territory In GFA. London has to call it. Stormont never would but can too. Referendum in NI and republic on the same day. Then count the votes.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

one uniting step the UK could pursue in the short term in order to reduce the feelings of stark division is for members of all parties to get together and publicly stone David Cameron

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

seriously though- why the fuck doesn’t the Queen chime in? Isn’t she still head of state? it’s a constitutional monarchy. this is like a prime example where a benevolent dictator would be preferred. just tell everyone thanks for your suggestions but we’re not leaving and if you don’t like it then off with your head

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:46 pm 
Poster of the Year

dimejinky99 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Not for this shitshow absolutely not. But the Brits want nothing to do with NI even aside from all this. And now the DUP have them over the barrel. if the motion ever gets tabled to have a referendum on NI reunification (aka them washing their hands of it once and for all) and Dublin agreed, you’d definitely see SF turn up.

Yeah but per the GFA a referendum on Irish reunification won't have anything to do with Westminster.

Not so. Dublin can’t call for it. We’ve given up our claim to it as our territory In GFA. London has to call it. Stormont never would but can too. Referendum in NI and republic on the same day. Then count the votes.

I thought it was just Stormont that had the right to call the referendum, and then Dublin would be required to follow suit and all one simultaneously. Didn't realize London could do it too.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

96583UP wrote:
seriously though- why the fuck doesn’t the Queen chime in? Isn’t she still head of state? it’s a constitutional monarchy. this is like a prime example where a benevolent dictator would be preferred. just tell everyone thanks for your suggestions but we’re not leaving and if you don’t like it then off with your head

Just about every piece of entertainment I've ever seen has a blurb about why she can't: She's a figurehead and to take sides (she tried once and got slapped on the hand for it) is a Very Bad Thing. She has to stay impartial for the monarchy to continue.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:51 pm 
Posting (live)

dimejinky99 wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Jonathan Pie nailed it. No one is happy with this. People are voting for the lesser of the evils.

This is the problem though. They never explained to the British public what they were voting for. At all. Read this. It’s short. Regular English people in a regular town. The unintentional ignorance about the whole situation is astounding and shocking. Their government never enlightened them And they still haven’t enlightened them cos it’s way too late and nobody’s sure what’s happening or what the outcomes will be.

Echoes of the yellow vest news item I saw last week where 6-8 yellow vest demonstrators where interviewed across differing socio economic statuses, gender etc and there was no agreements between them in terms of their previous voting or areas they want improved. Years and years of austerity and 2 party politics has lead to these situations. And 2 party politics that are both rather central right ain't going to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 11:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bune wrote:
96583UP wrote:

Just about every piece of entertainment I've ever seen has a blurb about why she can't: She's a figurehead and to take sides (she tried once and got slapped on the hand for it) is a Very Bad Thing. She has to stay impartial for the monarchy to continue.

well maybe she needs to start acting more like the m-f-ing king of england and less like his c*m dumpster

edit: rating 2/10

attempt 2: <ahem> well maybe she should start acting more like MBS and less like SUI (switzerland)

rating: a little better but still sucky

post-script: i do not read ‘entertainment’

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:05 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Are you guys as excited about the UK regaining it's sovereignty as I am?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:09 am 

96583UP wrote:
one uniting step the UK could pursue in the short term in order to reduce the feelings of stark division is for members of all parties to get together and publicly stone David Cameron

All of Europe would like to see Cameron stoned to death. But that’ll happen when England is burning literally from riots and they have food and medicine shortages.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:09 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Brett: dude we can totally cross this bridge it's fine
Roman: no way man it's going to collapse of us the second we step on it.. we'll die for sure
Brett: nah its not that bad.. lets go
Roman: *cuts off rope bridge midway with chainsaw sending both to death*
Roman: I told youuuu

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:14 am 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I thought it was just Stormont that had the right to call the referendum, and then Dublin would be required to follow suit and all one simultaneously. Didn't realize London could do it too.

We can’t at all but we can’t stop it either and an all island vote would be held.
The delicious part of that is it’s Ireland only. England wales and Scotland can’t take part.
They’d be happy to see the back of NI though and rightly so.

If a majority call came from NI for that vote Dublin amd London have to respect it.
NI hasn’t had a government in two years so while it looks unlikely on paper, people both sides up north are furious with the DUP and they’re gonna he held to the fire feet first before long. Then you’ll see things happen.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

96583UP wrote:
bune wrote:
96583UP wrote:

well maybe she needs to start acting more like the m-f-ing king of england and less like his c*m dumpster

attempt 2: <ahem> well maybe she should start acting more like MBS and less like SUI (switzerland)

Why would you read entertainment? It's all moving pictures now.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:24 am 

LetMeSleep wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Echoes of the yellow vest news item I saw last week where 6-8 yellow vest demonstrators where interviewed across differing socio economic statuses, gender etc and there was no agreements between them in terms of their previous voting or areas they want improved. Years and years of austerity and 2 party politics has lead to these situations. And 2 party politics that are both rather central right ain't going to fix it.

Right? And these are just regular people. They’re not activists or anything.
Everyone all sides are beyond fed up with the whole wreck.
Notice they none of them have no idea of what a terrible idea it was or what’s about to happen even in the best case scenarios?

It’s less about two parties ruining things. This is about a cabal of centuries old ‘old money’ ruling class dictating and scaring through media that they exclusively own to maneuver things to their liking. And it hasn’t worked and it’s turned into a trainwreck.
So joe public on the street was sold a pack of bullshit and now has to pay the consequences.

All the while the architects of it all have jumped ship and ran.

Most notably Tory MP Jacob rees mogg, owns a huge business empire. Hard brexit supporter. Anti EU.
But, moved all his businesses to Dublin this past year to avoid the oncoming firestorm.

He’s not alone. Those at that level are all doing it.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:41 am 
Site Admin

Two and a half years later, and I still don't think I've formed a coherent opinion on this one way or another. I'm sure I'd have one if I was a Brit, though.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 1:22 am 

Green Habit wrote:
Two and a half years later, and I still don't think I've formed a coherent opinion on this one way or another. I'm sure I'd have one if I was a Brit, though.

Two and a half years later 70 million people on an island and the government that represents them still haven’t formed a coherent thought about this. Never mind an actual exit strategy.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 1:48 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bune wrote:
96583UP wrote:
bune wrote:
96583UP wrote:

Why would you read entertainment? It's all moving pictures now.

i long for the glory days of the D1 newspaper page

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 2:00 am 
Posting (live)

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 2:14 am 

She should have had Diana killed in a plane crash rather than a car crash.
That’s where this whole thing started to spawn.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 12:47 pm 

Meanwhile in Scotland...

Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon has said Theresa May is “deluding herself” by trying to persist with her Brexit red lines, and suggested details of the timetable for a second Scottish independence referendum would be revealed within “weeks”. The First Minister was at Westminster to meet with SNP MPs, and said an extension of Article 50 and a People’s Vote were the only realistic options to break the Brexit deadlock.

However, she added: “I’ll say more about the timing of a referendum in the next matter of weeks. “I want to see the UK stay in the EU, I think that would be best for the whole of the UK... even when Scotland is independent, that serves our interests best as well. That’s why we’re backing the People's Vote, the second EU referendum. “But if that’s not possible, in terms of our wider interests, the chaos and the fiasco of the last couple of years have shown that the worst thing for Scotland is to be thirled to Westminster when it’s making such a mess of things. We’d be far better off in charge of our own affairs.”

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... -1-4857393

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate