The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Brexit
PostPosted: Sun February 21, 2016 8:33 pm 
The Beef

Not only what I, as a Brett, use to announce my exit, but the June 23 referendum on whether Britain stays in the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32793642

I'm going to need a LOT more information to make a choice, and I'm pretty sure there's not going to be much of informed voter going into this. The scaremongering from both sides has already begun.

Man alive, I hate politicians.

Last edited by ABNorman on Fri October 07, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 2:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

vote no

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat March 26, 2016 5:14 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

vote 'yes' to secession all the time!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 16, 2016 12:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

This is getting close!

PostPosted: Mon June 20, 2016 10:44 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
This is getting close!

#TeamBrexit

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278

PostPosted: Mon June 20, 2016 11:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

b_i_revisited wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
This is getting close!

#TeamBrexit

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 5:34 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The no vote seems to bank highly on the idea of the Eurozone being totally resistant to compromise or change, and thus will be brutally punishing to any country that exits. So, vote stay because he didn't mean to hit you?

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 8:45 am 
The Beef

I'm voting to remain.

1) Leave campaigners are very quick to leap on the idea of a "United States of Europe" as a bad thing, but really, isn't that something the world should be meandering towards over the next hundred years? How insignificant is the concept of "country" going to be once we've colonised several planets? And surely in the here and now, we can better fix problems with pooled resources and a sense of being in this together?

Essentially, I'm sick of blind nationalism - I have no attachment to the idea of Great Britain as this mighty independent state, and even with that in mind, leaving the EU decreases its global significance and influence rather than increasing it.

2) The UK would, in all likelihood, be forced to adopt most of the EU regulations in order to trade with it, so that area of argument is largely moot.

3) The EU has forced the UK to buck up on environmental issues, something close to my heart. It's still lagging horribly, and I think would start to lag more if it voted Leave.

4) Purely in terms of the public persona of the two camps: Leave is home to several prominent bigots, and veers uneducated and older. Remain has an equal amount of arseholes, but generally less outright bigoted, and veer educated and younger.

5) I don't think either vote will make too much difference to my middle class life, the economy, immigration, or other policies.

6) Even though they may largely be thinking of the status quo, I'm willing to trust to a point the vast majority of various institutions and people with better degrees and resources than me.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 8:48 am 
The Beef

simple schoolboy wrote:
The no vote seems to bank highly on the idea of the Eurozone being totally resistant to compromise or change, and thus will be brutally punishing to any country that exits. So, vote stay because he didn't mean to hit you?

Both campaigns have had really awful scare tactics. Leave was "Immigrants!" and Remain was "Economy!"

All of them are dicks.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 9:41 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

ABNorman wrote:

1) Leave campaigners are very quick to leap on the idea of a "United States of Europe" as a bad thing, but really, isn't that something the world should be meandering towards over the next hundred years? How insignificant is the concept of "country" going to be once we've colonised several planets? And surely in the here and now, we can better fix problems with pooled resources and a sense of being in this together?

Essentially, I'm sick of blind nationalism - I have no attachment to the idea of Great Britain as this mighty independent state, and even with that in mind, leaving the EU decreases its global significance and influence rather than increasing it.

I see no reason to think we should be meandering towards one monolithic government, or that the idea of "countries" is outdated or destined to go away. That Utopia would be a nightmare in reality. Smaller, more localized government is better able to serve and is more answerable to its people than some gargantuan bureaucracy that isn't even directly answerable to citizens.

Talk to me about Star Trek style world governments after we colonize a few planets. Until then, break this shit up!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 10:05 am 
The Beef

BurtReynolds wrote:
ABNorman wrote:

I see no reason to think we should be meandering towards one monolithic government, or that the idea of "countries" is outdated or destined to go away. That Utopia would be a nightmare in reality. Smaller, more localized government is better able to serve and is more answerable to its people than some gargantuan bureaucracy that isn't even directly answerable to citizens.

Talk to me about Star Trek style world governments after we colonize a few planets. Until then, break this shit up!

Oh sure, I agree that having some kind of central monolithic government would (currently) be a nightmare - I just think this increasing global tribalism is a backslide borne of distrust and bigotry in many cases. There's more to be gained from working together than shutting out and going insular.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 10:21 am 

For sure.

BTW "Brexit" is an odd word. Makes me uncomfortable. Maybe because it reminds me of brisket, which I'm not a huge fan of.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 10:32 am 
The Beef

It also turns up a lot of images of breasts on image library sites - if my workplace actually scanned my internet history, I'd have some explaining to do.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 10:44 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Probably no surprise but I think a world in which national identity and sovereignty is slowly subsumed by global power is basically a nightmare scenario.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 10:45 am 
The Beef

Birds in Hell wrote:
Probably no surprise but I think a world in which national identity and sovereignty is slowly subsumed by global power is basically a nightmare scenario.

I just don't think national identity is threatened by a global approach. But on the other hand, I also think "national identity" is a pointless thing to cling to. Sovereignty is an issue though.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 11:03 am 
Looks Like a Cat

ABNorman wrote:
But on the other hand, I also think "national identity" is a pointless thing to cling to.

Unsurprisingly, I don't agree (at least, not entirely).

I think it's the kind of sentiment that has an element of oikophobia (in an 'aversion of the familiar' sense) to it too; do people who feel this way also think that (for example) Japanese national identity doesn't or shouldn't exist?

ABNorman wrote:
Sovereignty is an issue though.

I feel that Brexit is imperative even if it were for this reason alone.

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 11:09 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Did your brain jump to the Japan example because "oiko" sounds a bit like a Japanese word?

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 11:14 am 
Future Drummer

it made me think of a pig

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 11:15 am 

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2016 11:41 am 
Broken Tamborine

Birds in Hell wrote:
b_i_revisited wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
This is getting close!

#TeamBrexit

Actually, I don't really understand the pros and cons other than the immigration issue. And anytime I see the globalists fight so hard for something, it's usually a good bet to go the other way.

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate