The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 4:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Your girlfriend didn't change, strat.

But you probably lost a good amount of money if you have a 401K or similar retirement plan, Strat.

You really shouldn't be too concerned about short term fluctuations of a retirement plan in your early 30s.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 4:35 pm 
The Master

lol @ retirement

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 4:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

But you probably lost a good amount of money if you have a 401K or similar retirement plan, Strat.

You really shouldn't be too concerned about short term fluctuations of a retirement plan in your early 30s.

I'm in my MID 30s, you monster.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 4:53 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Tell her that. she feels it. She feels like a monster.

Im just kidding.

Is she really from Scotland or is she just one of those people who is of Scottish ancestry so they act like it affects them in some way but it really doesn't? The former, I hope.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 4:54 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Im just kidding.

Is she really from Scotland or is she just one of those people who is of Scottish ancestry so they act like it affects them in some way but it really doesn't? The former, I hope.

Born and raised in glasgow. Mother still lives there. Father lives in spain. She has the teeth and accent to prove it.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 4:55 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Strat wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Im just kidding.

Born and raised in glasgow. Mother still lives there. Father lives in spain. She has the teeth and accent to prove it.

lol

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 5:21 pm 
A Return To Form

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 5:29 pm 

Meddle wrote:

I laughed.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 5:31 pm 
The Master

I swear the same thing is going to happen when Trump is president.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 5:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

McParadigm wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
This is pretty fascinating, I really have no idea what to expect from it. The currency devaluation could help exports and tourism at some point I guess. I wonder what this means now for Germany, and stability and access across borders in general.

I would expect to see more fracturing going forward. Western international unity really burst out of having two world wars and a terrifying nuclear arms race, all in a period of a half century. Constricting economies, terrorism, and environmental change are going to continue to push countries back into either isolationism or aggression mindsets, for some time.

Sad really.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 5:42 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Outside of some short term market volatility this is good for the US as well as the UK. The EU has been holding up a free trade deal now they have no other choice but to sign it.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 5:49 pm 
Banned from the Pit

And even better good riddance to Cameron total fucking failure just like that POS in the WH.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 8:18 pm 
Posting (live)

The far right across Europe requesting referendums. This could be the end of the EU. But never fear the big players will survive and support each other while the struggling nations will continue to struggle. There's no way France, Germany, Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries haven't made contingency plans pre Brexit and will be continuing to predict other outcomes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36615879

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 9:43 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Henery Hawk wrote:
And even better good riddance to Cameron total fucking failure just like that POS in the WH.

Whose second account is this?

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 9:52 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

zeb wrote:
Henery Hawk wrote:

Whose second account is this?

Redemption

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:05 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

http://fusion.net/story/318640/delete-your-golf-course/

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:19 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/com ... estminster

Quote:
"If you’ve got money, you vote in,” she said, with a bracing certainty. “If you haven’t got money, you vote out.” We were in Collyhurst, the hard-pressed neighbourhood on the northern edge of Manchester city centre last Wednesday, and I had yet to find a remain voter. The woman I was talking to spoke of the lack of a local park, or playground, and her sense that all the good stuff went to the regenerated wonderland of big city Manchester, 10 minutes down the road.

Only an hour earlier, I had been in Manchester at a graduate recruitment fair, where nine out of 10 of our interviewees were supporting remain, and some voices spoke about leave voters with a cold superiority. “In the end, this is the 21st century,” said one twentysomething. “Get with it.” Not for the first time, the atmosphere around the referendum had the sulphurous whiff not just of inequality, but a kind of misshapen class war.

Most of all, Brexit is the consequence of the economic bargain struck in the early 1980s, whereby we waved goodbye to the security and certainties of the postwar settlement, and were given instead an economic model that has just about served the most populous parts of the country, while leaving too much of the rest to anxiously decline. Look at the map of those results, and that huge island of “in” voting in London and the south-east; or those jaw-dropping vote-shares for remain in the centre of the capital: 69% in Tory Kensington and Chelsea; 75% in Camden; 78% in Hackney, contrasted with comparable shares for leave in such places as Great Yarmouth (71%), Castle Point in Essex (73%), and Redcar and Cleveland (66%). Here is a country so imbalanced it has effectively fallen over.

For six years now, often with my colleague John Domokos, I have been travelling around the UK for our video series Anywhere But Westminster, ostensibly covering politics, but really trying to divine the national mood, if such a thing exists. I look back, and find all sorts of auguries of what has just happened. As an early warning, there was the temporary arrival of the British National party in electoral politics from 2006 onwards, playing on mounting popular anger about immigration from the EU “accession states”, in the midst of Gordon Brown’s “flexible” job market, and a mounting housing crisis.

A few years later, we met builders in South Shields who told us that their hourly rate had come down by £3 thanks to new arrivals from eastern Europe; the mother in Stourbridge who wanted a new school for “our kids”; the former docker in Liverpool who looked at rows of empty warehouses and exclaimed, “Where’s the work?”

In Peterborough in 2013, we found a town riven by cold resentments, where people claimed agencies would only hire non-UK nationals who would work insane shifts for risible rates; in the Ukip heartlands of Lincolnshire, we chronicled communities built around agricultural work and food processing that were cleanly divided in two, between optimistic new arrivals and resentful, miserable locals – where Nigel Farage could pitch up and do back-to-back public meetings to rapturous crowds. Even in the cities that were meant to unanimously spurn the very idea of Brexit, things have always been complicated. Manchester was split 60:40 in favour of remain; in Birmingham last week, I met British-Asian people who talked about leaving the EU with a similar passion and frustration to plenty of white people on the same side.

In so many places, there has long been the same mixture of deep worry and often seething anger. Only rarely has it tipped into outright hate (on that score, I recall Southway in Plymouth, and loud Islamophobia echoing around a forlorn shopping precinct; or the women in Merthyr Tydfil doing laps of the town centre bellowing, “Get ’em out!” ), but it still seems to represent a new turn in the national condition. “The gentleness of the English civilisation is perhaps its most marked characteristic. You notice it the instant you set foot on English soil,” wrote George Orwell in 1941. Not now, surely?

What defines these furies is often clear enough: a terrible shortage of homes, an impossibly precarious job market, a too-often overlooked sense that men (and men are particularly relevant here) who would once have been certain in their identity as miners, or steelworkers, now feel demeaned and ignored. The attempts of mainstream politics to still the anger have probably only made it worse: oily tributes to “hardworking families”, or the the fingers-down-a-blackboard trope of “social mobility”, with its suggestion that the only thing Westminster can offer working-class people is a specious chance of not being working class anymore.

Of course, most of the media, which is largely now part of the same detached London entity that great English patriot William Cobbett called “the thing”, failed to see this coming. Their world is one of photo ops, the great non-event that is PMQs, and absurd debates between figures that the public no longer cares about. The alienation of the people charged with documenting the national mood from the people who actually define it is one of the ruptures that has led to this moment: certainly, wherever I go, the press and television are the focus of as much resentment as politics. While we are on the subject, it is also time we set aside the dismal science of opinion polling, which should surely now stick to product testing and the like. Understanding of the country at large has for too long been framed in percentages and leading questions: it is time people went into the country, and simply listened.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 10:46 pm 
Posting (live)

You left out this Spenno.

Quote:
a lot of people will probably be more supportive of the kind of super-Thatcherism we may well be subjected to than a lot of other people would like.

While I was reading that article I couldn't help but not think of Thatcherism and the subsequent sell offs, the mining picket lines of the 80's and the subsequent distrust of politicians. The Remain's decision to essentially lead with Cameron as a figure head was a major mistake as the public disillusionment and distrust of the pasty faced twat is at high.

There is no doubt that there are serious imbalances between the haves (London and the SE) and middle England. There is no doubt that the NHS was a bloated mess of an organisation that was being ripped apart not just by EU misuse but also local misuse and visitor misuse. There is no doubt that the housing crisis is very real and foreign investment has affected local house ownership. BUT these issues are not EU derived.

With Scotland and NI (both strong Labour footholds) possibly out of the UK equation then England and Wales face a Tory government for decades. And the poorer will only get poorer and the NHS will collapse. There will be greater disparity in housing.

I feel for the younger Brits who have to live with this decision for a lot longer than the voting masses.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 11:02 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

The majority of under 45 voted remain. And the under 25s especially. They've been robbed and betrayed by their own.

But this sums it up hysterically.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2016 11:09 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

LetMeSleep wrote:
With Scotland and NI (both strong Labour footholds) possibly out of the UK equation then England and Wales face a Tory government for decades. And the poorer will only get poorer and the NHS will collapse. There will be greater disparity in housing.

This seems like hysterical catastrophising and, in any case, I very much doubt these things would be less likely under a Labour government than a Conservative one.

It was my (armchair) understanding that much of the concerns that drove Brexit are in some respects related to the unprecedented and essentially uncontrolled increase in immigration that began under Blair.

dimejinky99 wrote:
The majority of under 45 voted remain. And the under 25s especially. They've been robbed and betrayed by their own.

But this sums it up hysterically.

1. Worth considering whether with age comes a depth of wisdom unavailable to youth; and
2. I believe support for Remain among younger voters was very high but voter turnout comparatively low.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate