The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 9:13 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Birds in Hell wrote:
The people will continue voting until they get it right, goddamn it!

Funny you mention that. Ireland had to have a referendum on the Lisbon treaty which would ratify the treaty across Europe. We voted overwhelmingly against it. Which threw a hammer in European gears completely. So, out they came with the fear mongering and Europe is good for us and we're better off in it blather, and they made us have the same referendum again.

There won't be a second referendum in the uk. But it may be challenged or actually ignored. They have 2 years to implement and it'll take at least that long for negotiations but the EU want them out ASAP to prevent a rout of other countries following suit. Sweden Holland and France could be up next.

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 9:57 am 
Posting (live)

I can't tell you how much I agree with this article. It got me rather emotional, like.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/06/i-want-my-country-back

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 11:59 am 
Looks Like a Cat

LetMeSleep wrote:
I can't tell you how much I agree with this article. It got me rather emotional, like.

Maybe instead knee jerk whinging like a scorned prom date, people should take a breath and see what actually happens. This end of the world shit is annoying. Look up man, the sky didn't fall, and your not suddenly a Trump supporting racist.

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 2:57 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:

I think that neatly captures the two main factors that would've most compelled me to vote Leave (where I able to): sovereignty, immigration.

I think it's an important symbolic victory too. It's deciding what kind of future you want to live in.

It's not like Britain is experiencing an immigration crisis. There was fear involved in that decision, so it's not an entirely rational one. Further, if Britain had stayed in EU, they would've had a big role in shaping policy for the whole continent.

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 5:58 pm 
The Beef

Bi_3 wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Maybe instead knee jerk whinging like a scorned prom date, people should take a breath and see what actually happens. This end of the world shit is annoying. Look up man, the sky didn't fall, and your not suddenly a Trump supporting racist.

"Oh you've shot your foot off? Lol, just take a breath and see what happens, man."

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 7:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

"I heard the UK shot itself in the foot"

"No, it was no a non-binding vote to leave the EU"

"Oh you've shot your foot off?"

"Can't say since it will take one to two years to renegotiate existing treaties and trade agreements, there is no way to judge should the government of the U.K. enact the will of its citizens, so..."

"Well, the U.K. is the second largest economy in Europe and 5th largest in the world and both sides benefit from as much trade as possible between the Kingdom and the continent, participate in common defense and energy projects , so..."

"Tensions are running high right now. Markets were not anticipating a leave win, and a lot of people lost money on Friday. The biggest challenge is perception. Younger citizens in the UK, fueled by globalist media organizations and the echo chamber of social media , fear they have been betrayed by older voters who want to go back to some storybook idea of the UK that can't exist anymore. As the long process of separation goes forward, both sides are going to have to do a lot of damage control to ensure that all sides feel taken care of and that the economies of Scotland and Northern Ireland who do business through the UK are taken care of as well so..."

"Ha! You admit it was racist old people!"

"Xenophobia was certainly an element of the equation, but not all of it. Globalization isn't always a good thing even if it does create a more multicultural society especially when people don't feel like their voices are being heard or worse, being ignored. And The EU itself has seemed helpless in the face of the Arab/African immigration crisis and expanding Russian aggression on the eastern border. Self determination is a powerful idea for many people and it's easy to see why people might not trust the Union to put what's good for Britian first if it negatively effects other member states"

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 10:06 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I think that neatly captures the two main factors that would've most compelled me to vote Leave (where I able to): sovereignty, immigration.

I think it's an important symbolic victory too. It's deciding what kind of future you want to live in.

It's not like Britain is experiencing an immigration crisis.

I'm sure Britons anxious about the dramatic and historically unprecedented increase in immigration since the late 1990s will find this very reassuring.

No, voting to exit the EU won't stop that alone or by itself, but it's an emphatic vote for greater accountability from the country's political institutions.

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2016 11:39 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 12:15 am 

Birds in Hell wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
With Scotland and NI (both strong Labour footholds) possibly out of the UK equation then England and Wales face a Tory government for decades. And the poorer will only get poorer and the NHS will collapse. There will be greater disparity in housing.

This seems like hysterical catastrophising and, in any case, I very much doubt these things would be less likely under a Labour government than a Conservative one.

It was my (armchair) understanding that much of the concerns that drove Brexit are in some respects related to the unprecedented and essentially uncontrolled increase in immigration that began under Blair.

dimejinky99 wrote:
The majority of under 45 voted remain. And the under 25s especially. They've been robbed and betrayed by their own.

But this sums it up hysterically.

1. Worth considering whether with age comes a depth of wisdom unavailable to youth; and
2. I believe support for Remain among younger voters was very high but voter turnout comparatively low.

On point 2:

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 12:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LetMeSleep wrote:

whoa, cameron had sex with a pig?

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 12:35 am 
Posting (live)

96583UP wrote:
whoa, cameron had sex with a pig?

Quote:
Piggate" refers to an uncorroborated anecdote that during his university years British Prime Minister David Cameron put a "private part of his anatomy" into a dead pig's mouth as part of an initiation ceremony for the Piers Gaveston Society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggate

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 12:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yet another university sexual assault goes by the wayside

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 1:52 am 

http://www.theonion.com/article/america ... der--53156

Quote:
Americans Confused By System Of Government In Which Leader Would Resign After Making Terrible Decision

WASHINGTON—In the wake of Prime Minister David Cameron’s announcement that he would leave office following the United Kingdom’s vote to exit the European Union, tens of millions of Americans expressed their confusion to reporters Friday about a system of government in which a leader would resign after making a terrible decision. “Wait, so he made a really awful choice with far-reaching negative consequences and now he’s just stepping down to let someone else take over? What?” said Colorado Springs, CO resident Evan Austin, echoing the sentiments of citizens across the United States who were left struggling to understand why a democratically elected head of government would relinquish control simply because they had been shown to have made a spectacularly bad judgment call. “So he jeopardized the future of his country, and instead of spending the next several years remaining in power while trying to paper over his mistakes, he’s just gone? Where’s the part where he denies any wrongdoing or tries to blame somebody else? This is absolutely crazy.” The American public noted, however, that they completely understood the part where voters who had made a demonstrably terrible decision continued to double down on it.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 2:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LetMeSleep wrote:

on a serious note though - i was thinking about some things along these lines earlier today. the whole of the idiocracy must feel validated. the soccer hooligans had their way. what is it going to be like for people who look "non-native" now? people who's last names aren't "johnson" ... ?

as an American, one of the biggest concerns I would have regarding a Trump presidency is not just what he would do if elected, because congress can always try to stymie or impeach him; but rather, what would the impact on the tenor/dialogue of the population be like? what would the social impact be? When George W Bush was in office it felt like it was impossible to have a sane conversation with a person. Everything was terror this and support your troops that and all the imbeciles were on a high horse and brought their megaphones into every room to dominate and drown out any reasonable conversation. there was goddamn endless over use of the american flag, you'd fucking see it everywhere and what it looked to represent in that era just starts to make you nauseous.

then that ended. praise obama. the tea partiers have been annoying, but they have not dominated the national discourse; and they don't have "their man" in office so as they crum-bum about in society they are less inclined to start beerhall putsching all over the place at will. having a reasonable conversation is expected. eccentric hatred and recitation of right-wing catch phrase dogma is subject to intense scrutiny at a national level.

but with Drumpf at the helm, mouth-breathers everywhere would have their day. they would rule the roost spewing nonsensical backward garbage this way and that. and it would be impossible again to have a conversation about anything sane without some loudmouth ignoramus jumping in and shitting all over everything.

i can't handle another 4 or 8 years of national witch hunt-grade dialogue

i feel terrible for the UK because the mouth-breathers appear to have won

hopefully they will go easy on the "non-natives"

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 2:31 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

96583UP wrote:
When George W Bush was in office it felt like it was impossible to have a sane conversation with a person.

96583UP wrote:
i feel terrible for the UK because the mouth-breathers appear to have won

yeah things are soooo much better now.

:roll:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 5:39 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Leave philosoraptor out of this, Burt.

God damn you.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 5:56 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Racist people ARE far more likely to engage when you avoid acknowledging their racism.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 6:07 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

It's not like Britain is experiencing an immigration crisis.

I'm sure Britons anxious about the dramatic and historically unprecedented increase in immigration since the late 1990s will find this very reassuring.

No, voting to exit the EU won't stop that alone or by itself, but it's an emphatic vote for greater accountability from the country's political institutions.

The question is: why exactly does immigration incite so much anxiety? The overwhelming majority of research shows its effects are either null or positive to an economy and to a society. And immigrants are neither more nor less likely to be terrorists or criminals than natives. Immigration-related anxiety is driven by either misinformation, fear, or a combination thereof when adequate screening procedures are in place at the borders.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 8:16 am 
The Beef

Birds in Hell wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/article/americans-confused-system-government-which-leader--53156

Quote:
Americans Confused By System Of Government In Which Leader Would Resign After Making Terrible Decision

WASHINGTON—In the wake of Prime Minister David Cameron’s announcement that he would leave office following the United Kingdom’s vote to exit the European Union, tens of millions of Americans expressed their confusion to reporters Friday about a system of government in which a leader would resign after making a terrible decision. “Wait, so he made a really awful choice with far-reaching negative consequences and now he’s just stepping down to let someone else take over? What?” said Colorado Springs, CO resident Evan Austin, echoing the sentiments of citizens across the United States who were left struggling to understand why a democratically elected head of government would relinquish control simply because they had been shown to have made a spectacularly bad judgment call. “So he jeopardized the future of his country, and instead of spending the next several years remaining in power while trying to paper over his mistakes, he’s just gone? Where’s the part where he denies any wrongdoing or tries to blame somebody else? This is absolutely crazy.” The American public noted, however, that they completely understood the part where voters who had made a demonstrably terrible decision continued to double down on it.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2016 12:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

ABNorman, all kidding aside, in a previous post you implied you were not impressed by the arguments of either side. What made you choose?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate