The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brexit
PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 3:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I get that it's going to be bad, like really bad - but they had a public referendum and voted.
It'd be like the US getting a do-over once they realised what an insufferable tool Trump is - that's just not how it works

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 4:14 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Massive difference to that example.

In British law a referendum isn’t a binding one and done concrete decision.
It’s a recommendation at best from the people to parliament.
Which they can choose to ignore or adopt.

The Brits haven’t had a referendum since 1973. The British people don’t under their laws get to have this kinda say only in extreme situations.
Compared to us lot where the constitution can only be changed by a referendum and the people having their say and in our case it is actually binding.
(A clever bit of actual democracy written into our constitution once we got independence from them)
I don’t know wtf May is going to do, I don’t envy her the task, but no matter what it’s a disaster for Britain, Scottish independence and a referendum in Ireland to reunite are on the way, bye bye United Kingdom and hello chaos.
They can have a second referendum. Legally. But they won’t. English superiority complex won’t allow them admit theyre on fire even as they pour the petrol on themselves. They would rather go down burning than admit they’re wrong.

That’s why the aftermath is going to be so spectacularly disastrous. Not just for them. Us too

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 8:51 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

LetMeSleep wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Theresa May's resilience throughout this has been incredible.

Absolutely. If only she didn’t go against her own beliefs.

I'd wager working solidly and thanklessly to enact the result of a public vote in spite of her personal views seems like the more ethical and admirable position.

Rangi Guy wrote:
I get that it's going to be bad, like really bad - but they had a public referendum and voted.
It'd be like the US getting a do-over once they realised what an insufferable tool Trump is - that's just not how it works

Yep.

And just because something has a bad, even catastrophic, economic effect on some individuals and businesses doesn't mean it's still not ultimately the right and correct thing to do in the national interest.

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 9:27 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Don’t forget all the lies in the initia campaign. What is the point of a referendum if the information is completely incorrect. Giving the people all of the information they know about Brexit nowand having a fair and balanced discussion about it and then a vote, surely that is the most sensible option.

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 9:44 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Seems like an inconsistent and quite bizarre standard; how many elections aren't based on a bunch of half-truths, exaggerations and unlikely promises?

It's ultimately the responsibility of the electorate to inform themselves and select what they feel to be the least-worst option.

In any case, I have a difficult time believing that people ultimately voted on the basis of whatever was written on a bus that Boris Johnson stood in front of (or whatever); the main issues which drove the vote were concerns about sovereignty and immigration.

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 4:29 pm 
Poster of the Year

How do you guys feel about the idea of recall elections?

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 4:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Birds in Hell wrote:
Seems like an inconsistent and quite bizarre standard; how many elections aren't based on a bunch of half-truths, exaggerations and unlikely promises?

It's ultimately the responsibility of the electorate to inform themselves and select what they feel to be the least-worst option.

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 4:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'm admittedly not the go-to person for Brexit, but I'm not sure I understand the comparison between referendums and something like the U.S. presidential election. The latter is scheduled for every four years; it is a mandated, consistent selection of a chief executive. A referendum seems closer to ballot proposals which often crop up for voters; in New York, we had three this past year. It seems bizarre (and ultimately unworkable) to suggest that you could never approve a measure that might negate a previous one. Why would a referendum on Brexit be any different? You're endorsing a policy, not a candidate for a term in office. Maybe there's some aspect to British law that I'm ignorant about?

Last edited by digster on Thu December 13, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 4:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Actually, if it were up to BiH, Obama would probably still be President.

Quote:
I always thought presidential term limits were pretty weird anyway.

Quote:
Maybe you guys ought to rethink the term limit thing.

There's got to be many people who'd take another Obama term over either of the current options.

PostPosted: Thu December 13, 2018 7:51 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

cutuphalfdead wrote:

This is the first I've heard of them.

McParadigm wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Actually, if it were up to BiH, Obama would probably still be President.

Quote:
I always thought presidential term limits were pretty weird anyway.

Quote:
Maybe you guys ought to rethink the term limit thing.

There's got to be many people who'd take another Obama term over either of the current options.

This still seems sensible to me.

PostPosted: Sat December 15, 2018 10:50 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

LetMeSleep wrote:
Don’t forget all the lies in the initia campaign. What is the point of a referendum if the information is completely incorrect. Giving the people all of the information they know about Brexit nowand having a fair and balanced discussion about it and then a vote, surely that is the most sensible option.

You can say that about pretty much every election in every country.

PostPosted: Sat December 15, 2018 11:37 am 

Never on such a scale though. The £350 million a week for the NHS being the biggest most obvious lie. Anyone with half a brain knew that was bullshit and yet people bought into it

PostPosted: Sat December 15, 2018 3:04 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

dimejinky99 wrote:
Never on such a scale though. The £350 million a week for the NHS being the biggest most obvious lie. Anyone with half a brain knew that was bullshit and yet people bought into it

By the scale you mean the scale of the impact of the vote or the scale of the lie? Still, both are similar.

That was a big lie, but only because before that they got away with smaller lies before that. I mean, right now, people in our country are being massively lied to regarding the Marrakech Migration Pact and yet they believe them. Our government just fell because the biggest party opposed that pact after agreeing to it only 2 months ago, yet go on in the press about their principles. And people buy it. Our prime minister was being photoshopped by biggest far right politician on a beach saying "greetings from Marrakech", the city doesn't even have a beach, yet that picture got shared massively by the (extreme) right.
We hear lies every day about climate change, migration, economy. Lots of us know it's lies and yet we continue to vote for these very same people. It's beyond ridiculous. But then finally people get enough, get on the street, go on strike, only to be blamed for all that goes wrong in the country. We're killing the economy. We're inciting violence. We're just small time hippies. We must respect the police. We must get on with our jobs. Pretty much as Carlin would say: we must just all lean over & let them continue to rape us & we're asked to smile & shut up while it's happening.

And if the people in Britain have themselves to blame partially, you the Irish can't, but we from Belgium either. But one of our biggest trade partners is UK. It's going to impact us massively if these clowns go on with their no deal.

PostPosted: Sat December 15, 2018 3:09 pm 

Oh absolutely. We’re all going to take a hit it’s just a matter of degrees. But it’s a bigger catastrophe for them than it is for anyone else. And they have no idea what they do want and can’t agree on what that is or what they don’t want. It would be funny if it weren’t so destructive.

PostPosted: Sat December 15, 2018 6:33 pm 

What – if anything – would satisfy the DUP in Brexit negotiations?
The party seems to be considering extreme measures in order to block the existing deal

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3731451

PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2018 7:07 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

dimejinky99 wrote:
The party seems to be considering extreme measures in order to block the existing deal

The IRA or the PIRA were far more reasonable in comparison, right?

PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2018 7:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The pro-brexit people are terrified of another election, and will argue against it until the very end.

PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2018 12:44 pm 

simple schoolboy wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

The IRA or the PIRA were far more reasonable in comparison, right?

Well they decommissioned and agreed to a binding peace for the good of both islands so yeah.

NI has had no government for two years cos among other things the DUP refuse to accept the Irish language act, which would grant another equality to nationalists and one that the dup cling to as theirs to hold onto alone. Arlene foster n co refuse to treat the nationalist catholic population as equal.

So yeah they’re unreasonable to the point of self destruction. They’re also to blame for holding brexit up to a huge degree so look at it through those lights.

PostPosted: Sun December 30, 2018 10:36 pm 

Asking again. Watch this. Masterclass in the history and cause and effects of brexit by a man who knows what he’s talking about.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2019 10:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Well then

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate