The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brexit
PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 4:32 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Looks like knives are out for Theresa.

Numbers for a Vote of no confidence being tallied.

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 4:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:

This has been a ticking clock for a long time. The question is, whether she gets removed or not, what is the next step for leadership? For *any* leadership?

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 4:38 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

This has been a ticking clock for a long time. The question is, whether she gets removed or not, what is the next step for leadership? For *any* leadership?

IM not sure if the deputy pm steps in (who would even want to??) or perhaps a snap election.

This might be uncharted waters for them I’m not sure.

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 4:47 pm 
Poster of the Year

this is a lot of fun to watch

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 4:53 pm 

Really is. The blind arrogance and inbuilt superiority complex which is part of their dna has finally been undone and they simply don’t understand it at all. Incompetence and hilarity ensues :)

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 10:31 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Though I'm fond of Theresa May, those resigning are absolutely doing the right thing. The Brexit vote was clear and it always should have been implemented quickly and without compromise. It's astonishing they've messed it up so badly.

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 10:46 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I think their plan was to screw it up from the beginning, but maybe not so obviously.

Walking the line between pandering to the masses and serving their money masters is tough, though.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 6:56 am 

I don’t know that the vote was clear at all. The campaign was an utter clusterfuck and in the end something like 12 million eligible voters didn’t vote. Farrage and now Johnson who both engineered the entire thing are no longer even involved in the process. Its on them. Bizarre that such a disaster they were allowed to create then don’t have to take any responsibility for it. Except in the publics mind.

It’s true that there were larger forces and agendas at play but even their grasp seems to have come undone. Only thing for it is to hold the referendum again or just not act on it. Afaik a ref result is only recommendation and govt is under no obligation to legislate for it. Thats how it is here and our set up is made up of the bones of the British one.

It can’t continue forever as the endless quagmire it is currently but they’ll drag it out as long as possible both sides. There’s no winners at the end of this though.

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 7:00 am 

Friday tho :haha:

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 1:54 pm 
Poster of the Year

dimejinky99 wrote:
Afaik a ref result is only recommendation and govt is under no obligation to legislate for it.

Dave, this was a binding referendum though.

What if there was a border poll on your side of the sea and they didn't honor the results?

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 2:18 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Afaik a ref result is only recommendation and govt is under no obligation to legislate for it.

Dave, this was a binding referendum though.

What if there was a border poll on your side of the sea and they didn't honor the results?

The unspoken drive behind that though was the ira could continue to bomb Britain. The Canary Wharf Bomb Costco about £500 yet in one go cost the Brits over £1 billion. They were able to do that continuously and arbitrarily. It wasn’t in the Brits best interests to refuse the talks. They were forced to the table. And if they’d refused the result the bombing would just have continued. Different situation but similar in one way.
Major businesses are already leaving and planning to leave the UK now. Brexit is an act of economic suicide but the hardliners don’t seem to want to acknowledge that. That hard nosed inbuilt imperial arrogance at play again. They’re unable to understand this is disaster for them and why isn’t pesky everyone else doing what they’re told.

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 3:04 pm 
Poster of the Year

I get all that. My point was simply that this was a binding referendum, and if it's anything like it is over hear, that means in order to undo it you need to have another one, or the legislative body needs to pass a bill that overturns it. You can't just say "well, we'll take your advice but do whatever we want".

Or I guess they could pull a Massachusetts and say they're doing it but drag their feet through the whole process.

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 3:32 pm 

They can and probably will do a rerun. I think the already being floated especially when you see Farrage saying he’ll come back to Britain to campaign. I’d say it’s on the cards.

Only thing is can May keep her position and things on the rails or will there be an election?

If not will Corbyn be dealing with it? I can’t tel at the all where he stands on it

Never seen any public figure in British life have so much bullshit thrown at him. The establishment and their media attack dogs hate him and probably fear him.

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 4:09 pm 
Poster of the Year

dimejinky99 wrote:
Never seen any public figure in British life have so much bullshit thrown at him.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 5:11 pm 

Not even close. The people hated her. She was 100% pro establishment big business and big money. Fuck the proletariat. Fuck people. That was her deal.
The establishment though hates him. Even the left like the guardian. He’s pretty unimpeachable when it comes to having the same core values he’s always had and he’s sternly anti establishment. He would probably be the best thing for Britain right now but it would be a burn to grow scenario and they aren’t ready for that if they ever will be. Like every media outlet has attacked him constantly since he took over labour. Pretty much all uk media is owned by big wig old money interests no way would they ever allow him near downing st but he could really shake things up if he managed to get the job.

They were so close to killing her that day. I wonder what the outcome would have been. You’d probably have seen Ireland north and south carpet bombed.

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 5:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
It's astonishing they've messed it up so badly.

Is it?

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 5:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

the fact that northern ireland and how it jives with the gfa was completely ignored during the campaign is pretty astonishing

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 5:38 pm 

On the surface yes.
But it is literally a case of everything North of London gets forgotten/ can go fuck itself.
Not even kidding. They barely remembered Scotland was there until the Scots got notions and wanted to leave. They campaigned for them to remain cos well oops all the oil and strategically beneficial ports and bases. The north of England, Manchester Newcastle etc are pretty huge cities but it’s like it’s two different countries. None of those places have anything like the economy or generation of jobs and income the south does.
NI has neither of those things, it hasn’t anything to offer the uk at all(or Ireland in fact) and is the biggest drain on their economy outside welfare Last I was aware. They don’t want it but good ole British pride they’ll cut their own noses off before they give it up.

This is going to drag on and on and on.

PostPosted: Wed July 11, 2018 1:21 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

amazingly bad

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 11, 2018 11:07 am 

Pete. I thought as much

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate