The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Antonin Scalia
PostPosted: Sun February 14, 2016 11:24 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

How likely is it that the Senate is going to pass to the Dems? I've barely seen any coverage of it, since it's a presidential year and not a mid-term.

PostPosted: Sun February 14, 2016 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Simple Torture wrote:
How likely is it that the Senate is going to pass to the Dems? I've barely seen any coverage of it, since it's a presidential year and not a mid-term.
Dems need to flip four seats. IL, WI, and PA are three they should be expected to get if they do well, OH or NH may be their best shot at the fourth. Of their own seats, maybe only NV is in play with Harry Reid retiring.

The only way I could see that scenario from happening is if Trump wins, but his fans only care about him and not downballot Republicans, and if enough anti-Trump Republicans are so disgusted by him that they stay home.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 1:09 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

McConnell wrote:
“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President.”

Kinda hard not to be annoyed by that wording given that Americans voted for Obama twice.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 1:20 am 
Site Admin

B wrote:
McConnell wrote:
“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President.”
Kinda hard not to be annoyed by that wording given that Americans voted for Obama twice.
That's the dichotomy of the American system of government. The counterargument to Americans voting in Obama is that they also voted in a Republican majority into the Senate. And let's face it: if there was a GOP president and Dem Senate the roles would be completely reversed.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 1:22 am 
Poster of the Year

checks gonna check, balances gonna balance

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 1:24 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
McConnell wrote:
That's the dichotomy of the American system of government. The counterargument to Americans voting in Obama is that they also voted in a Republican majority into the Senate. And let's face it: if there was a GOP president and Dem Senate the roles would be completely reversed.

I don't agree. I think most Democrats, at least the most powerful ones, would hold their tongues and see who was nominated. There was never this much talk about "we must stop everything Bush does." Democrats fought against the ideas and the actions, not the person.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 1:27 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
McConnell wrote:

I don't agree. I think most Democrats, at least the most powerful ones, would hold their tongues and see who was nominated. There was never this much talk about "we must stop everything Bush does." Democrats fought against the ideas and the actions, not the person.

LOL. What?!

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 4:09 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Lame-Duck Obama's Supreme Court Appointee and F You All I Am Outta Here Short-List
1. Ralph Nader
2. "Kit", the hyper-liberal Thai tranny twink bartender he met on his malaysian bender
3. Bernie Sanders
4. Kareem Abdul Jabar
5. Roger Clinton Jr.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 5:30 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Am I mistaken in my impression that Scalia, for all his good, was pretty terrible when it came to the fourth amendment?

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 1:50 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

96583UP wrote:
[u]3. Bernie Sanders

He's making his pitch.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... ANz15lbuYr

Quote:
BERNIE SANDERS: I just don't think it looks good that for very,overty political reasons, the Republicans would deny this president the right to excersize his Consttituional responsibility... I don't think the public will look kindly on Republican efforts to try to thwart what he is supposed to be able to do.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 2:21 pm 
AnalLog

B wrote:
96583UP wrote:
[u]3. Bernie Sanders

He's making his pitch.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... ANz15lbuYr

Quote:
BERNIE SANDERS: I just don't think it looks good that for very,overty political reasons, the Republicans would deny this president the right to excersize his Consttituional responsibility... I don't think the public will look kindly on Republican efforts to try to thwart what he is supposed to be able to do.

Not the part of the public who's votes the Republicans aim at.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 3:07 pm 
The worst

turned2black wrote:
B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
McConnell wrote:

LOL. What?!

that was not well phrased, but the level of obstruction Republicans had for Obama vastly eclipses what democrats did with Bush. This makes sense, given the ideology.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 3:43 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:oops:

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
Am I mistaken in my impression that Scalia, for all his good, was pretty terrible when it came to the fourth amendment?
I'd say he was a mixed bag on the Fourth Amendment. I don't think he particularly liked and was as passionate about it as he was other parts of the Constitution.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 5:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

stip wrote:
turned2black wrote:
B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
McConnell wrote:

LOL. What?!

that was not well phrased, but the level of obstruction Republicans had for Obama vastly eclipses what democrats did with Bush. This makes sense, given the ideology.

c'mon. it was the democrats that turned this entire process into an ideological litmus test to begin with. dick durbin's "because i disagree with this candidate on issue X this candidate is an unqualified political ideologue" came up both times with roberts and alito, despite their spotless pedigrees. it used to be whether the candidate was qualified, regardless of positions on certain topics. now, the candidate is put before congress and essentially made to testify about his or her personal beliefs on issues. it's a joke.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 5:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
McConnell wrote:

I mean, regardless, it doesn't really matter. Personally, I don't doubt that if the roles were reversed the positions would be as well, but it's irrelevant. It's the GOP's shitty luck that this happened while Obama was president, but that doesn't change anything. Barring the partisan considerations, there's no reason there shouldn't be a confirmation process.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 5:56 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The first really politicized confirmation hearing was probably Biden v. Bork a year before the 1988 election. Then the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hoopla a few years later doubled down on it.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 6:54 pm 
The worst

Chris_H_2 wrote:
stip wrote:
turned2black wrote:
B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
McConnell wrote:

LOL. What?!

c'mon. it was the democrats that turned this entire process into an ideological litmus test to begin with. dick durbin's "because i disagree with this candidate on issue X this candidate is an unqualified political ideologue" came up both times with roberts and alito, despite their spotless pedigrees. it used to be whether the candidate was qualified, regardless of positions on certain topics. now, the candidate is put before congress and essentially made to testify about his or her personal beliefs on issues. it's a joke.

im not saying one side is innocent, just that the level of and commitment to obstruction is significantly higher on the R side. and some of that is due to ideology - Dems are more likely to compromise to get something - even if it is just a basic level of functionality

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

stip wrote:
im not saying one side is innocent, just that the level of and commitment to obstruction is significantly higher on the R side. and some of that is due to ideology - Dems are more likely to compromise to get something - even if it is just a basic level of functionality
If Ginsburg died in Febraury 2008 and you were a Democratic senator at that time, what do you do?

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2016 8:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
stip wrote:
If Ginsburg died in Febraury 2008 and you were a Democratic senator at that time, what do you do?

Be sad. Say, "I hope Bush nominates a candidate that we can confirm quickly so we don't drag this process out." Might not be what you're thinking, but it's what you say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate