The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Generations
PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 6:32 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
You would not believe how bummed out I am that Steve Bannon is trying to use one of my favorite books for ill purposes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/book-ste ... ing-2017-2

Interesting phrasing you use. Is this powerful book of yours some sort of necronomicon?

PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 7:42 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Neil Howe just had an interview and Q&A regarding Bannon.

https://app.hedgeye.com/insights/57111- ... uthor-neil

PostPosted: Thu February 09, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
You would not believe how bummed out I am that Steve Bannon is trying to use one of my favorite books for ill purposes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/book-ste ... ing-2017-2
Interesting phrasing you use. Is this powerful book of yours some sort of necronomicon?
I don't know what that is, but I think it did give me slightly more clarity on how to read history, and considerably more clarity when it comes to generations, since I was someone born on the X/Millennial cusp that had never felt fully aligned with either generation.

Oh, and that image Burt posted is a pretty decent nutshell version of Strauss and Howe's theory.

PostPosted: Fri February 10, 2017 4:59 pm 
AnalLog

generation Z will save us

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2019 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue December 24, 2019 12:08 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Some interesting things I've found out since the last time I posted in this thread. This is UK specific, although given our similar trajectories (World War II, Thatcher and Reagan, Blair and Clinton, Trump and Johnson) I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of it was replicated in the US.

The narrative has been this - old people fought in the war, voted Tory and Brexit, and their ungrateful kids voted Labour. There is also a narrative that once you get old enough to see the light and not be at school/college/uni anymore, you'll vote Tory.

The polling and the facts - Labour got in after the war, and the UK joined the EEC (later the EU). In 79 Thatcher got in, and Brexit didn't happen until 2016. The polling - new generations of voters voted Labour in 87, including every new generation since then, and each generation has continued to vote Labour to this day.

My interpretation - if the polling is right, the older generations of Labour voters are way too old to not have sufficient life experience already. It is also my interpretation that our war generations voted Labour and (those of them who are still around) voted Remain, and that their kids are the ones who voted Tory and Leave. IMHO, by 79 enough of these came through, and enough of our war heroes died out to swing the balance.

So what for the future? Newer generations turned out to be Tory voters before, could it happen again? Well, the big elephant in the room is the rising retirement age. Why would any generation be willing to work til they die/enter the care home, with a dementia age which isn't keeping up with a supposedly rising life expectancy? Faced with the only chance of a retirement being emigration, why would anyone with such a choice want to be stuck here?

PostPosted: Mon March 09, 2020 11:46 pm 
Poster of the Year

Look at that ratio...

PostPosted: Thu March 12, 2020 11:09 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Air Beanie Babies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savinga ... r-BB10Zo24

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate