The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ahmed's Clock
PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2015 12:36 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I'm just gonna put this here...

Quote:
A Texas teenager who gained national attention after he was arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school is moving to Qatar with his family to continue his education.

Ahmed Mohamed has accepted a scholarship from Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, or QF, his family said.

They thanked all the people and places that reached out in support after the "unfortunate incident of Ahmed's arrest." The family visited QF this month.

"Qatar was a cool place to visit. I loved the city of Doha because it's so modern. I saw so many amazing schools there, many of them campuses of famous American universities. The teachers were great. I think I will learn a lot and have fun, too," Ahmed said in the statement.

In the hours after his arrest last month, #IStandWithAhmed was trending worldwide on Twitter, with critics alleging that Ahmed, 14, was the victim of religious profiling. He is Muslim.

In an interview with MSNBC's Chris Hayes, Ahmed said he was pulled out of class at MacArthur High School by his principal and five police officers and taken to a room where he was questioned for about an hour and a half.

He said he asked the adults if he could call his parents.

"They told me 'No, you can't call your parents,'" Ahmed said. "'You're in the middle of an interrogation at the moment.' They asked me a couple of times, 'Is it a bomb?' and I answered a couple of times, 'It's a clock.'"

"I felt like I was a criminal," the teenager said. "I felt like I was a terrorist. I felt like all the names I was called."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/20/us/ahmed- ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2015 12:59 pm 
The Master

This reeks of bullshit

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2015 7:22 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Hey, I was subject to an abuse of authority that was an exception to the rule, and those who abused me were nationally vilified. Let's move somewhere where abuse of authority IS the rule!

PostPosted: Wed October 21, 2015 7:23 pm 
Poster of the Year

It's easy to build incredibly impressive modern cities in the middle of the desert when you have all the slave labor you could ever want.

PostPosted: Thu October 22, 2015 8:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It's even easier to build cities anywhere when you convince the public that they are special and that it's them against the (naive) world.

They'll even build them in Arizona.

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 4:31 am 
The Master

:roll:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... SApp_Other

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 4:35 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Good to see they're setting an example for the boy to follow after such a tragedy

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 4:52 am 
The Master

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 1:29 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 3:11 pm 
AnalLog

hlniv wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
IT's important to also look at his family's influence on this.

His father is a media hound. He's a known anti-Islamophibast. He campaigned to be President of Sudan - which obviously isn't a democracy. He had a conversation with the guy in FL that burned Korans and was "surprised" when he burned another in his presence.

He was being coached on what to say to the media interviews. Mark Cuban said in his interview that he could hear his sister feed him answers.

Why was the kid intent on getting noticed for this? His first period engineering teacher told him not show anyone else, but yet his did on numerous occasions.

This also happened the on 9/12. Why that day? Was it coincidence that he had a NASA shirt on when he took a clock apart?

The US had just announced that it was accepting 20,000 Syrian immigrants. Also, why were a bunch of big shots (Obama, FB, NASA) so quickly to get behind him?

There's so much more going on here. I really don't think the kid had much to do with this and is just a (well-compensated) pawn. The real question here is who's?

That's all horse shit, consipiracy theorist crap. And believe me, I'm usually all for conspiracy theories.

Yes, did the media and politicians grab on to it immediately and blow it out of proportion? Absolutely.

It was a typical 14 year old act. Kids bring stupid shit into school all the time. They do stupid things all the time. Kid did a stupid thing. All the rest is just sensationalism.

So, the administration, NASA, Islamic Council, his family, and Zuckerburg all conspired to have this kid make a clock look like a hoax bomb so they could make a political statement? Cmon. I guess they just hoped that the IRving PD and the school would fuck it up and arrest him? What if they just sent him home for the day? That would have foiled the plan, eh?

Still thinking this is horseshit conspiracy crap?

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 6:46 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Exactly how long was Ahmed held? His damages are "# hours X minimum wage." Done.

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Has anyone pointed out yet that Richard Dawkins is being a total asshole over this?

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 6:52 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Well that just sucked out any good will anyone had about this situation

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 7:55 pm 
AnalLog

B wrote:
Exactly how long was Ahmed held? His damages are "# hours X minimum wage." Done.

Figure about $1million/minute of fame.

PostPosted: Tue November 24, 2015 7:57 pm 
The Master

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
B wrote:

Figure about $1million/minute of fame.

heh

PostPosted: Wed November 25, 2015 2:43 pm 
Future Drummer

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:

His father is a media hound. He's a known anti-Islamophibast. He campaigned to be President of Sudan - which obviously isn't a democracy. He had a conversation with the guy in FL that burned Korans and was "surprised" when he burned another in his presence.

He was being coached on what to say to the media interviews. Mark Cuban said in his interview that he could hear his sister feed him answers.

Why was the kid intent on getting noticed for this? His first period engineering teacher told him not show anyone else, but yet his did on numerous occasions.

This also happened the on 9/12. Why that day? Was it coincidence that he had a NASA shirt on when he took a clock apart?

The US had just announced that it was accepting 20,000 Syrian immigrants. Also, why were a bunch of big shots (Obama, FB, NASA) so quickly to get behind him?

There's so much more going on here. I really don't think the kid had much to do with this and is just a (well-compensated) pawn. The real question here is who's?

That's all horse shit, consipiracy theorist crap. And believe me, I'm usually all for conspiracy theories.

Yes, did the media and politicians grab on to it immediately and blow it out of proportion? Absolutely.

It was a typical 14 year old act. Kids bring stupid shit into school all the time. They do stupid things all the time. Kid did a stupid thing. All the rest is just sensationalism.

So, the administration, NASA, Islamic Council, his family, and Zuckerburg all conspired to have this kid make a clock look like a hoax bomb so they could make a political statement? Cmon. I guess they just hoped that the IRving PD and the school would fuck it up and arrest him? What if they just sent him home for the day? That would have foiled the plan, eh?

Yes, I believe your suggestion that it was all staged for press & policy purposes that go beyond his own arrogance and stupidity is still horseshit conspiracy crap.

The latest with the lawsuit just tells me that his dad is an opportunist fuck

PostPosted: Wed November 25, 2015 5:06 pm 
AnalLog

hlniv wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:

Yes, I believe your suggestion that it was all staged for press & policy purposes that go beyond his own arrogance and stupidity is still horseshit conspiracy crap.

If his dad is an opportunist fuck, wouldn't he need to stage this for the press? And why wouldn't policy wonks also try to capitalize on it? Notice how all of them haven't said anything about it since?

I never said it was coordinated, that was your conspiracy.

It wasn't just some stupid kid as you said. It was more than that.

From the onset, this situation was bullshit. The whole thing was contrived not from just some stupid kid. NASA got free press. Obama was able to tout immigration success when peddling increasing the refugee allotment.

PostPosted: Thu November 26, 2015 4:06 pm 
Future Drummer

I knew NASA had to be behind this somehow.

PostPosted: Thu November 26, 2015 4:07 pm 
Future Drummer

When they're not faking moon landings, they're giving kids fake bombs to take to school!

PostPosted: Tue December 01, 2015 5:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:

If his dad is an opportunist fuck, wouldn't he need to stage this for the press? And why wouldn't policy wonks also try to capitalize on it? Notice how all of them haven't said anything about it since?

I never said it was coordinated, that was your conspiracy.

It wasn't just some stupid kid as you said. It was more than that.

From the onset, this situation was bullshit. The whole thing was contrived not from just some stupid kid. NASA got free press. Obama was able to tout immigration success when peddling increasing the refugee allotment.

You referred to him as a pawn, which implies it was coordinated beforehand, and you just said you don't think the kid contrived it. You are definitely implying a conspiracy, which is just lunacy.

Kid just wanted to ruffle some feathers like a lot of teenagers do. He made a stupid box clock and wanted it to look like a bomb so he could act defiant when they thought it looked like a bomb.

His dad is an opportunistic fuck, in that once his kid did it, he made a point to blow it up way out of proportion. News media picks up on it, now he's suing because he thinks he can. Maybe the idea got planted with the kid by his dad, but to suggest that it goes beyond that it kinda tin-hatty, and oblivious to the real issue. The real issue is that the school should have just suspended his ass and disciplined him through the school system for obviously creating a bomb hoax, instead of allowing the cops to arrest him after they obviously knew it wasn't a bomb. Overreaction to a dumb kid just because he's brown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate