The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ahmed's Clock
PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

Why are we expecting this child to act like an adult?

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:22 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:23 pm 
The Master

lol @ bomb prank

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:28 pm 
The Master

what happened to just duct taping freshman to benches?

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:31 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
A bomb prank on school grounds in a time where children regularly murder their classmates could and probably should have been met with a lot worse. If it were a white kid in a trenchcoat, people would be calling the administrators heroes.

I wouldn't say school ground child classmate murdering is a regular occurrence

And if it were a white kid in a trenchcoat, you wouldn't know about it. The kid would have been sent home to his parents, suspended, maybe expelled. No media, no story. Because it's "Ahmed", it's a story.

Bottom line is a dumb kid pulled a dumb prank, got caught, and continues to deny his intent. Teenagers don't often admit they have acted poorly, the lies will just build and build.

1- Dumb kid takes apart an old clock and makes it look like a bomb.
2- Dumb kid takes it to his new school to get some attention, and maybe get the other kids to think he's cool/smart/unique, whatever.
3 - Adults rightfully get concerned.
4- Adults rightfully question dumb kid
5- Dumb kid says on "it's just a clock, get off my back"
6- Adults overreact, call the police
7- Police overreact, arrest and cuff him
8- Dumb kid takes to social media to express his justifiable anger at being arrested
9- Twitterverse explodes
10- Dumb kid doubles down on his rebellious cockiness and keeps insisting it was just a clock he "invented"
11- Dumb kids becomes celebrity, proving the utter worthlessness of our media empires
12- Our society continues its downward spiral

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:35 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:42 pm 
The Master

Youre a handsome fella, burt.

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 9:47 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2015 10:20 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:

Check out my new watch.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 12:27 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Do we have any reason to think that it was intended as a prank, other than its just a clock and we're Americans so we always assume people are assholes?

I haven't been following the story the last few days, but without reason to think otherwise when I hear "kid takes apart a clock and says he built it," I hear "kid tries to look smart in front of teachers and lies." I've known plenty of kids who tried to look smarter than their classmates through bullshit things, and seen plenty of pranks. Unless there's some info to promote the prank theory, this looks more like one to me than the other.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 1:12 am 

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 10:27 am 
AnalLog

BurtReynolds wrote:
A bomb prank on school grounds in a time where children regularly murder their classmates could and probably should have been met with a lot worse. If it were a white kid in a trenchcoat, people would be calling the administrators heroes.

I don't know, if there was a picture of the white kid in a trenchcoat in handcuffs all over the place, the outrage would have been even worst.

Also the picture of the bomb is kind of misleading, it makes it look if not anything else bigger than it actually is.
Here's the pencil case in question http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BX ... p229_d5_i1

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 12:31 pm 
The Master

Mine wrote:
if there was a picture of the white kid in a trenchcoat in handcuffs all over the place, the outrage would have been even worst

No way. That would not be a political issue.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 1:47 pm 
Future Drummer

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Mine wrote:
if there was a picture of the white kid in a trenchcoat in handcuffs all over the place, the outrage would have been even worst

No way. That would not be a political issue.

The white kid in a trenchcoat with a pencil box fake bomb would not have got a picture taken, nor would he have been arrested. He would have been disciplined and sent home, suspended, maybe even expelled. Never would have been a story.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 2:07 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Do we have any reason to think that it was intended as a prank, other than its just a clock and we're Americans so we always assume people are assholes?

I haven't been following the story the last few days, but without reason to think otherwise when I hear "kid takes apart a clock and says he built it," I hear "kid tries to look smart in front of teachers and lies." I've known plenty of kids who tried to look smarter than their classmates through bullshit things, and seen plenty of pranks. Unless there's some info to promote the prank theory, this looks more like one to me than the other.

If he actually wanted to impress anyone and have them say, "Oh - cool clock", why put in a concealed case? Why even put it in a case at all? Why even worry about it looking "suspicious", as he said? He had to have known what it looked like.

I don't know that he went around telling people it was a bomb, thus, having a "hoax bomb". But he certainly understood what people would think it looked like, and it gave him a way to say "No, man, it's just a clock!".

He made it look like a bomb to get attention. Simple story. Doesn't mean it's a "hoax bomb", but it certainly wasn't just an honest misunderstanding.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 2:22 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm just amazed that you guys can get all this insight from reading the same stories I'm reading.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 2:24 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

bart wrote:
I'm just amazed that you guys can get all this insight from reading the same stories I'm reading.

Welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 2:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

hlniv wrote:
If he actually wanted to impress anyone and have them say, "Oh - cool clock", why put in a concealed case? Why even put it in a case at all?

If you took apart a clock and wanted it to look like you had created something, would you brown bag it? Or just dump it in your backpack and hit the bus?

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 2:57 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
hlniv wrote:
If he actually wanted to impress anyone and have them say, "Oh - cool clock", why put in a concealed case? Why even put it in a case at all?

If you took apart a clock and wanted it to look like you had created something, would you brown bag it? Or just dump it in your backpack and hit the bus?

If I wanted to impress my teachers, I would have dumped in my backpack, yes. I would want to show them how it works, turn it around, point things out. He tinkers with this stuff all the time, apparently.Image

I don't think he was being malicious, but I think he knew how people would react, and wanted to get a rise out of them. I bet it was more to get a reaction from his classmates, and less about impressing his teachers. "But it's just a clock!" he could say. It's at that point where this thing turned, the school should have just disciplined him. Even the mayor is still publicly referring to it as a "hoax bomb", even while the city has declared they have determined he didn't intend to "cause alarm". Kid just wanted attention.

PostPosted: Thu September 24, 2015 3:03 pm 
AnalLog

IT's important to also look at his family's influence on this.

His father is a media hound. He's a known anti-Islamophibast. He campaigned to be President of Sudan - which obviously isn't a democracy. He had a conversation with the guy in FL that burned Korans and was "surprised" when he burned another in his presence.

He was being coached on what to say to the media interviews. Mark Cuban said in his interview that he could hear his sister feed him answers.

Why was the kid intent on getting noticed for this? His first period engineering teacher told him not show anyone else, but yet his did on numerous occasions.

This also happened the on 9/12. Why that day? Was it coincidence that he had a NASA shirt on when he took a clock apart?

The US had just announced that it was accepting 20,000 Syrian immigrants. Also, why were a bunch of big shots (Obama, FB, NASA) so quickly to get behind him?

There's so much more going on here. I really don't think the kid had much to do with this and is just a (well-compensated) pawn. The real question here is who's?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate