The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Mistreatment of Asylum Seekers (FL vs. Martha's Vineyard)
PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2022 3:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

"no you"

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/nyc-helping-migrants-who-were-bused-from-texas-relocate-to-other-states

Last edited by Bi_3 on Sat September 17, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ron-de ... s-vineyard

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 6:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Happy to see my home state rally for these migrants today

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 10:57 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:

Well when they're told they're going to one state and then dropped off in another, that might actually need "help" to "relocate"

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 10:58 am 
Mind Your Tanners

This whole story seems like it should be a straight forward human trafficking case. Abbott and DeSantis can share a cell with Bannon.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 1:38 pm 
The Master

elliseamos wrote:
This whole story seems like it should be a straight forward human trafficking case. Abbott and DeSantis can share a cell with Bannon.

Which of RM’s resident ghouls will attempt to justify this tactic?

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 6:40 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

spike wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

:wave:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 7:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
spike wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

:wave:

+1

They've already been deported off the island so everything is fine now. They can resume their 'sanctuary' status

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 7:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Martha's Vineyard is not a big island. I've been there plenty of times and Fall/Winter there is brutal.

Getting people off that island is doing them a favor.

The communities of Falmouth, Mashpee, Sandwich, and Bourne will likely handle this better than MV could.

*I see they're all on Otis, so they're in housing with health & legal support. It was good enough for Katrina refugees, so I'd say it's good enough (for now) for these folks.

The lying to them about where they were going, and paying people to recruit others to get on the flight, is what I have a problem with.

Last edited by elliseamos on Fri September 16, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 7:48 pm 
The Master

If Canada wasn’t so wonderful, this would be a non issue.

Post subject: Re: Immigrant Fights (Florida vs. Martha's Vineyard)
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:06 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:17 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It's a fun gotcha for the Liberals on Martha's Vineyard, but weren't these people all waiting for sanctuary hearings that will presumably be very difficult to get to now?

I haven't seen reporting as to who these migrants are. DeSantis didn't catch them crossing the border because he has no border. Were they arrested and had no documentation? Were they asylum seekers? Were they doing anything at all to burden the State of Florida?

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

spike wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Never mind the ghoulishness of it. The governor of Florida spent taxpayer money to remove immigrants from a state other than Florida and ship them to a state with a Republican governor so he could own the lib response, and he gained nothing from it but some tepid memes in the conservative internet. But those are the kind of wimp victories you cling to when you value taunt tacticians over political action.

Probably the only smart thing he did in the entire scheme is wait until the tourism season had ended and all the rich people had headed back to New York or Washington DC or whatever. The Vineyard population drops from 200,000 to like 17,000 around this time of year, and the average income is in line with the national….so he got to pretend to be sticking it to the elites while also being super courteous to the elites, which is a recurring MAGA sweet spot.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
spike wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Never mind the ghoulishness of it. The governor of Florida spent taxpayer money to remove immigrants from a state other than Florida and ship them to a state with a Republican governor so he could own the lib response, and he gained nothing from it but some tepid memes in the conservative internet. But those are the kind of wimp victories you cling to when you value taunt tacticians over political action.

Probably the only smart thing he did in the entire scheme is wait until the tourism season had ended and all the rich people had headed back to New York or Washington DC or whatever. The Vineyard population drops from 200,000 to like 17,000 around this time of year, and the average income is in line with the national….so he got to pretend to be sticking it to the elites while also being super courteous to the elites, which is a recurring MAGA sweet spot.

And from living nearby half my life, majority of those 17,000 don't work on MV. They take the boat to Falmouth at 5am. They get their groceries in Falmouth at 5pm and take them back home on the boat. It's a brutal place to live Fall/Winter. They have their own schools, and different towns/villages, but it's an "island" beyond just the physical meaning of that word.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:40 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Its a funny, if pointless, bit of political theatre, unless they plan on making it a recurring event, which I doubt they can afford even if they wanted to. In a perfect world, the sanctimonious do-gooders would have to accept the consequences of their own beliefs rather than outsource it to the masses, but sadly, this is not a perfect world.

The libs can clutch their pearls and cry about "goulishness" or "inhumanity" all they want, as they are programmed to respond. I don't care.

Of course Weinstein can always be counted on for a limp-dicked take:

Wow imagine if they did that just imagine this scenario playing out in real life who can even imagine such a thing happening in reality

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:46 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
The libs can clutch their pearls and cry about "goulishness" or "inhumanity" all they want, as they are programmed to respond. I don't care.

is this really partisan though? do people really not feel for the humans being used in this political game of chess? put policy aside, i'm just talking about the people being moved around

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Right. "It's just politics" is the problem, Burt.

Try harder, or volunteer less.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 8:56 pm 

Many of them have come from a literal continent away (uninvited btw). I don't think a fucking plane ride to Martha's Vineyard is going to hurt them. Please don't try to convince me this is any more than a minor inconvenience.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 9:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Haha Jesus Christ

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 9:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Many of them have come from a literal continent away (uninvited btw). I don't think a fucking plane ride to Martha's Vineyard is going to hurt them. Please don't try to convince me this is any more than a minor inconvenience.

They told people who had ICE meetings in a week in San Antonio that they were going to Boston. They told them that jobs and homes were waiting for them there. They let them believe that lie the entire way to a destination they fully intended to leave them at with no explanation.

Your political anger is rotting out your inner core.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate