The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: The God topic
PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2013 1:01 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

turned2black wrote:
My mini midlife crisis is over. I'm back to just saying, "Fuck god!"

Your timing was perfect!

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2013 7:22 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I think I know which direction the board will take this but I'm going to ask anyway:
How do you differentiate between God talking to you and your conscience?

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 12:05 am 

You should listen to your conscience; it will lead you to a good life, generally. If God is talking to you, you're probably schizophrenic.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 12:34 am 
jeeeesus relax already

harmless wrote:
You should listen to your conscience; it will lead you to a good life, generally. If God is talking to you, you're probably schizophrenic.

Specially with that new pope.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 12:56 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
harmless wrote:

Specially with that new pope.

I was drunk when I said this, but I still agree with it now.

I like to pretend there is a God, but I think that if there is, and if he's a 'creator', then he created our conscience to do its thing. I guess it was designed to kick in when he wasn't around.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 1:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

as an atheist, it's pretty easy to differentiate god's voice and my conscience.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 3:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

elliseamos wrote:
as an atheist, it's pretty easy to differentiate god's voice and my conscience.

:nice:

PostPosted: Sun March 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

this is about hitchens, so i'm putting it here: http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/886 ... tch-fight/

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2013 12:41 pm 

I was going to pitch a book idea to Verso :|

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 4:41 am 
Banned from the Pit

Confessor wrote:
"... the teaching of both these Churches is that God is not merely necessary to have created the universe, but that His active presence is necessary in some way for every bit of creation, from smallest to greatest, to continue to exist at all. That is, God's energies maintain all things and all beings, even if those beings have explicitly rejected Him. His love of creation is such that he will not withdraw His presence, which would be the ultimate form of slaughter, not merely imposing death but ending existence, altogether. By this token, the entirety of creation is sanctified, and thus no part of creation can be considered innately evil. This does not deny the existence of evil in a fallen universe, only that it is not an innate property of creation. "

Discuss.

But there is evil. Lots of it. Where might it come from? God? The Devil? Adam and Eve?

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 10:46 am 
Mind Your Tanners

again, as an atheist, good and evil come from the same place.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 5:50 pm 

I think that if there is a creator God at all, then he has created the capacity for evil, as it only takes intelligence and freedom (not 'free will', a concept I find problematic theologically) to make evil happen. Just as every created system or thing has the capacity for malfunction.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 2:58 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

harmless wrote:
I think that if there is a creator God at all, then he has created the capacity for evil, as it only takes intelligence and freedom (not 'free will', a concept I find problematic theologically) to make evil happen. Just as every created system or thing has the capacity for malfunction.

woah, freedom is way slippier than free will

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 12:58 pm 

dkfan9 wrote:
harmless wrote:

woah, freedom is way slippier than free will

Well, that only supports my point. I didn't meant that I don't like 'free will', just that I think the term is unhelpful. As you say, it's not truly free.

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 4:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

did you guys see what god did?

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 6:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The lady who quit the other day left us all envelopes full of the craziest looking pamphlets. I've been trying to interpret/process this image for over 48 hours, now...

What the shit is going down at this particular captured moment? Is God…the bad guy? IS that supposed to be God? It looks like he takes good care of his fingernails. That’s probably a good thing. But he may be shaking the earth with an evil scowl. Is it some comic book villain named Galactisomething, posing as God?

Also, is the priest mortally terrified, or is he orgasmically elated? Those enormous hands seem like they could be closing in around him specifically...what's going to happen? Will he like it? Like, a super lot? Is he actually a Doctor Evil-like movie villain? He seems to have the troops and the excitable disposition for it. Is that what is happening here? Or is he actually an operatic singer serenading some terribly unclear but ultimately delightful sequence of events?

I think she just wanted me to join her church, but instead she really fucked with my mind.

Last edited by McParadigm on Tue August 06, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 6:10 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

McParadigm wrote:
The lady who quit the other day left us all envelopes full of the craziest looking pamphlets. I've been trying to interpret/process this image for over 48 hours, now...

It's like a Do the Evolution comic book, but what's happening here? Is God the bad guy? IS that God? Is the priest terrified or elated? Those enormous hands seem to be closing in around him...what's going to happen to him? Wait....does the priest have an army? Is that what is happening here? Or is he actually an operatic singer serenading some terribly unclear sequence of events?

I think she just wanted me to join her church, but instead she really fucked up my world view. Bitch.

What is the context of the pamphlets? I'm very curious.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 6:10 pm 
Poster of the Year

You're God and you've got big hands. The colors blend.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:

It's like a Do the Evolution comic book, but what's happening here? Is God the bad guy? IS that God? Is the priest terrified or elated? Those enormous hands seem to be closing in around him...what's going to happen to him? Wait....does the priest have an army? Is that what is happening here? Or is he actually an operatic singer serenading some terribly unclear sequence of events?

I think she just wanted me to join her church, but instead she really fucked up my world view. Bitch.
my thoughts from looking at that:

1) god's either got his hair in a pony-tail or he keeps it higher & tighter than his beard (a bad combo)
2) the politician, the drinker, and the army are ignoring the preacher's words
3) the preacher looks like this guy.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 6:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What is the context of the pamphlets? I'm very curious.

All I really remember is that it said God can't lie. But then it quoted John talking about God's plan, and I thought that was weird because it never said that JOHN couldn't lie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate