The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: The God topic
PostPosted: Wed February 27, 2013 10:33 am 
10Club Complaint Department

In fact, it's like saying science is all bad just because it gave us the atomic bomb and the holocaust gas chambers.

PostPosted: Thu February 28, 2013 7:05 am 
Poster of the Year

Now tell him to go eat a bag of cocks.

PostPosted: Thu February 28, 2013 1:53 pm 

I hope that goes without saying.

PostPosted: Fri March 01, 2013 4:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

harmless wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
"religion" is a doctrinal system of control, manipulation and oppression.

I'm a proud None, but I can't agree with religion being only a "system of control, manipulation, and oppression." Religious institutions defintely need to be reformed (Catholicism), but there are do-gooders and highly intelligent people in the Christian community (Martin L. King being one) who serve or have served a purpose.

There are "good people" in cults too. It still doesn't change the fact that they're in a cult, and inadvertantly responsible for aiding in untold death and destruction, all in the name of the lord.

Good people do good things wherever they are. Good people have good, moral reasons for being where they are, and they try to do the best they can in that context. 'Being in a cult' means nothing more than 'being in a house' or 'being in a potato', if the people are seeking to do good things.

As the resident of said house, do you undertake maintenance-based repair work, or perhaps similar efforts that help to sustain it as a structure?

As a resident of said potato, are you not in fact either a bicrobial parasite or some form of insect, and therefore incapable of producing intentional moral action as it pertains to the life and rights of man?

PostPosted: Fri March 01, 2013 5:27 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I'm a proud None, but I can't agree with religion being only a "system of control, manipulation, and oppression." Religious institutions defintely need to be reformed (Catholicism), but there are do-gooders and highly intelligent people in the Christian community (Martin L. King being one) who serve or have served a purpose.

There are "good people" in cults too. It still doesn't change the fact that they're in a cult, and inadvertantly responsible for aiding in untold death and destruction, all in the name of the lord.

Good people do good things wherever they are. Good people have good, moral reasons for being where they are, and they try to do the best they can in that context. 'Being in a cult' means nothing more than 'being in a house' or 'being in a potato', if the people are seeking to do good things.

As the resident of said house, do you undertake maintenance-based repair work, or perhaps similar efforts that help to sustain it as a structure?

As a resident of said potato, are you not in fact either a bicrobial parasite or some form of insect, and therefore incapable of producing intentional moral action as it pertains to the life and rights of man?

Those are good questions. I would say it depends on the nature of the potato and the house, and its requirements of me as a resident of it. I would weigh up those things before being part of any house or potato.

PostPosted: Fri March 01, 2013 11:54 pm 
A Return To Form

harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Those are good questions. I would say it depends on the nature of the potato and the house, and its requirements of me as a resident of it. I would weigh up those things before being part of any house or potato.

The walls of the house are imaginary.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2013 12:18 am 

NancyBabich wrote:
harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

The walls of the house are imaginary.

That's a very helpful contribution, thankyou.

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2013 5:52 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Here's another one: the walls of the potato are peeling.

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2013 7:43 pm 

theplatypus wrote:

Perhaps it's the Lord himself preparing the eternal feast. Or something.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 8:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:

Poopycock, my good lad! The soundness of the structures in question notwithstanding, the question is blatantly metaphorical. There is an existential undercurrent that runs through it, and is meant to clash with the emphasis on common, or everyday, imagery. By jumping from house to potato, quite unexpectedly, we are provided with both a new perspective and something of a system shock. We are forced to revisit our entire understanding of potato as we know it.

What does it mean to be potato? Does potato automatically equate to value? Mayonnaise seems to have value, I would think. But here it is rejected by an undefinable force known only to the author. It is not, for whatever reason, potato. And what of the reduced moral judgment of the potato's inhabitant life form. Is the life form really us? If so, what can we read from its fallible and ambiguously delicate state? Perhaps we are all, ultimately, mayonnaise. And if so, are we all destined for rejection?

Or perhaps the potato important because its common. After all, the malt shop was common not so long ago. Now, it is an obscurity...a thing which exists only in minds and tongue-in-cheek mock-ups. Is there no malt shop? Look around you! It's gone! And should we not take a moment to lament the loss of what once was common? The author's decision to avoid this question is an interesting choice. It contains no inherent emotion. One could read indifference into it, I suppose. But one could just as easily see frustration, or even joy. The emotion we bring to the phrase is, perhaps, our very own.

In a way, IS THERE NO MALT SHOP represents the most important question any of us will ever ask.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 5:20 pm 

Woah, that's pwnt.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 5:30 pm 
Future Drummer

Last edited by --- on Mon January 11, 2021 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:26 pm 
Future Drummer

--- wrote:
the clod topic

rm is an engine, powered by your dreams

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:59 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

My mini midlife crisis is over. I'm back to just saying, "Fuck god!"

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 7:30 pm 
AnalLog

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

I'm curious as to what Jorge's opinion is on Jorge.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 7:37 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

The new pope is from Argentina.

Incredible...a man who used to work with our last dictators here in our country.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 7:38 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:

Incredible...a man who used to work with our last dictators here in our country.

Are we getting St. Maradonna or St. Messi soon?

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 7:39 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

KurtLeon wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Are we getting St. Maradonna or St. Messi soon?

Those two would have been more human.

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2013 4:00 am 
Poster of the Year

Green Habit wrote:
I'm curious as to what Jorge's opinion is on Jorge.

I tried to get him on the news today but the timing wasn't good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate