The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Post subject: Re: The God topic
PostPosted: Fri August 19, 2022 5:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Don't think I could have assembled a better group of frauds and charlatans, other than maybe whoever is at Beri Weiss's "university"

PostPosted: Fri August 19, 2022 5:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tree_ wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
What is IDW?

Intellectual Dark Web.

A group of adults chose this name for themselves? lol

PostPosted: Fri August 19, 2022 5:45 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It was kind of a joke, but it's still pretty lame.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 12:33 am 
Future Drummer

The IDW characters had nothing in common except feeling persecuted/canceled/shamed, whatever. They were whining about the “woke crowd” before it was a thing, really. That’s what brought them together. As Mickey said earlier, this coalition was always destined to fail, very easy to see. A group with Sam Harris and Ben Shapiro… yea…

I am glad it existed, though. Bari Weiss was sane, at one point, and had an interesting perspective early on. Also, Jordan Peterson is crazy, but I checked out some of his earlier lectures and just weird, random stuff… When it’s not politically charged, he’s got some interesting ways of thinking. But that more of a “ok, time to move on” type of person for me.

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 12:36 am 
Future Drummer

If Sam Harris was as smart as he thinks he is, he’d have known to stay away. Harris is weird, but he’s smart, and I used to listen to him a lot.

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 1:33 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

They were useful for providing a pretty devastating response to wokeness at a time when it was ascendent and basically unchallenged. Peterson is pretty interesting at times, but the others are basically just academic scientism types. They're mostly fine I guess, but they aren't very interesting.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 5:42 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
They were useful for providing a pretty devastating response to wokeness at a time when it was ascendent and basically unchallenged. Peterson is pretty interesting at times, but the others are basically just academic scientism types. They're mostly fine I guess, but they aren't very interesting.

That the reaction to Peterson et all ever got warmer than, "you are wasting your time, you can get a better version of this elsewhere" is kind of confusing. The intellectual dork web ranged from a waste of time to anodyne to cringe. Suggesting it was somehow dangerous was a weird response.

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 2:34 pm 
Future Drummer

simple schoolboy wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

That the reaction to Peterson et all ever got warmer than, "you are wasting your time, you can get a better version of this elsewhere" is kind of confusing. The intellectual dork web ranged from a waste of time to anodyne to cringe. Suggesting it was somehow dangerous was a weird response.

Peterson before his crusade against woke culture has some interesting stuff, though I guess maybe you do have to be a dork. I’m basically an atheist (tho agnostic applies better), and Peterson has a really interesting way of explaining the Bible in a pretty secular way, even tho he calls himself a Christian. I found it fascinating. He also had some good lectures on “conservative vs progressive/liberal”, not in the political sense, but in the personality sense. I dunno. He was worth some time to get to know, and then, like I said, move on.

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 3:03 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:

Lol. Lmao.

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 3:47 pm 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Lol. Lmao.

That was literally their mission - counter and destroy wokeness. Like Mickey, I also don’t know what to do but laugh at the bolded, Burt. They did have a few good responses, but their responses didn’t devastate anything. They were only minimally popular among people who probably would agree with them. Other than Shapiro, those guys weren’t really in the political realm. They were mostly irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun October 02, 2022 11:55 am 
Banned from the Pit

:finger:

Last edited by brycechard on Wed October 05, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun October 02, 2022 11:57 am 
The Master

You make a compelling case

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate