The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Obama's Legacy
PostPosted: Sun December 25, 2016 9:58 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymai ... id-verizon

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun December 25, 2016 10:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4063898/amp/As-Obama-accomplished-policy-goals-party-floundered.html?client=ms-android-verizon

damn, son

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun December 25, 2016 11:45 pm 
Major Dude

Americans just hated the fact the democrats elected a black man for president didn't they?

PostPosted: Mon December 26, 2016 2:12 am 
Poster of the Year

wease wrote:
Americans just hated the fact the democrats elected a black man for president didn't they?

yup

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 5:27 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I guess Cubans weren't voting for the right candidate

http://patch.com/florida/southtampa/wet ... nds-cubans

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 12:40 pm 
Major Dude

Trump would've ended it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 2:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

people are over-reacting to this. 'wet foot, dry foot' wasn't eliminated; it was simply replaced with a better program: 'wetback, dry hump', which sends political asylum seekers from south of the 25th parallel to the Trump Tower Manhattan green room where they will be aggressively dry humped by Eric Trump as component of the extreme idealogical vetting procedure

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 4:32 pm 
The Master

Obama just gave $500M to the Paris Climate Accord fund, with the US still owing $2B of their promised $3B. Any idea why he wouldn't just give them the whole balance before Friday?

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2017 12:42 am 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
Obama just gave $500M to the Paris Climate Accord fund, with the US still owing $2B of their promised $3B. Any idea why he wouldn't just give them the whole balance before Friday?

My best guess is to make Trump look like an asshole when he bails on giving any more. I'm

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2017 1:36 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

My best guess is to make Trump look like an asshole when he bails on giving any more. I'm

wease was abducted by the Secret Deplorable Police in the middle of writing this post.

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2017 12:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Obama just bombed Libya. :peace:

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2017 4:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I am shocked - shocked I tell you - to find out the Assange is a piece of shit and going back on his word.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/after-extradition-pledge-assange-lawyers-say-manning-commutation-fell-short-n708666

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2017 5:49 pm 
See you in another life, brother

From the old board 8 years ago today.

4/5 wrote:
On January 20, 2009 the forty-fourth president of the United States will be sworn into office. When Barack Obama places his hand on the Bible and takes an oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution he will at that same moment become a very notable character in the story of American history. Much has already been written about the improbability of his meteoric rise to prominence and its historical significance; we need not elaborate on this further here, except to say that even if his presidency is not a success, the name Barack Obama will likely be remembered as long as this Union is preserved.

The pertinent question of course is how will President Obama be remembered? At the present time he appears to possibly be a controversial figure; adored by some, passionately derided by others, much in the mold of an FDR or a Ronald Reagan. Surely all will agree that he will remembered for breaking down walls and for a series of “firsts” which are certainly a source of pride for the entire nation, regardless of political persuasion. However, that does not address how Barack Obama, as president will be remembered. While this cannot be determined with any degree of accuracy at this early stage, it is safe to say that there are a few specific issues that will likely loom largest when shaping Obama’s legacy. First and foremost is the economy.

A bad economy can ruin a presidency, as in the case of Hoover, Carter, and Bush I. The soundness of an economy can greatly influence public opinion of an embattled president and play a large role in determining his fate, as in the cases of Nixon and Clinton. There is no denying that this nation is in the midst of an economic crisis. The manner in which Obama handles this crisis will very likely determine the nation’s feelings for him. If history has taught us anything regarding a Chief Executive’s handling of a crisis, it is that what the nation seeks more than anything else is leadership. The populace looks to the president for reassurance; they want to be confident that there is a steady hand guiding the ship. This of course is to say nothing of the direct results of his leadership. The case of FDR’s handling of the great depression is perhaps the most poignant example of the country supporting a president even though his policies did not necessarily bring immediate relief to people on a significant scale. However, Roosevelt excelled at exuding confidence, as well as compassion and understanding for those facing hard times.

This is where Obama must succeed. The people voted the incumbent party out of power, largely due to a feeling that party leadership had become detached from what the people needed and wanted. Obama cannot allow this to happen. He must be proactive, calm, cool, and collected without appearing cold and distant. There is no doubt that the requirements of Obama are akin to walking along a high wire without a safety net. For he must do all of this while facing critics eager to paint him as a tax-and-spend liberal. His only course to fight such a label is to embark on a concrete plan of fiscal responsibility, much as Clinton and the Republican congress did a decade ago. The purpose here is not to debate the merits of small v. big government or the role government should play in regards to the economy. Rather, it is to attempt to determine what action Obama needs to take to achieve success in the eyes of the American people. Will this generation of instant gratification be content to wait patiently through an economic downturn? Will Obama’s message of hope in the future continue to resonate even if things do not get better right anyway? Or will Obama and the congress follow a plan of huge deficit spending and higher taxes? Will they rule from the left or follow a more bi-partisan center route. Only time will tell.

If Obama hopes to achieve some of his more ambitious domestic goals, including increased spending on health care and education, he may have to win a second term to do so. In the current climate of industries being bailed out at a frantic pace, it is hard to imagine that even a person as ardently dedicated to these programs as Obama is would be able to fully flesh out these policies at this time. It is likely that with the significant political capital Obama possess entering his presidency he will be able to pass a reduced version of polices rather quickly. To go much further would likely run the risk of running up the deficit in a way that Bush could only have dreamed of. (Note: this was written two months ago; it appears Obama is already running this risk before being sworn in.) In turn he could possibly lose the favor of the people, who have already shown that they are not currently disposed to enthusiastically support runaway government spending. However, unfortunately for Obama, the economy is not the only area he faces immediate challenges.

It is a near certainty that the far left will not be content with the foreign policy of Barack Obama. Those hoping for a swift conclusion to hostilities in Iraq are likely to be disappointed. The real issue is whether or not the center embraces his policies on Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. He must be seen as tough on terrorism and a friend of Israel, while simultaneously embarking on policies of nuclear non-proliferation and diplomacy with traditional American enemies. Rather than focusing on a quick end to the Iraq War, it appears that Obama’s foreign policy should, and ostensibly will, be centered around re-solidifying alliances, reversing the Bush policy of pre-emption, and reworking the methods and tactics employed in the War on Terror. If Obama can accomplish these objectives without emasculating the Armed Forces a ala Jimmy Carter, the table will be set for a successful foreign policy. The wildcard, of course, is a terrorist attack, which we have already learned can instantly dramatically alter a presidency. We will have to wait and see if Obama can accomplish his foreign policy goals while appearing strong against terrorism.

Another intriguing development to watch will be how long the honeymoon period of Obama’s presidency lasts. With such immediate crises facing the nation, will people be patient as the new president adjusts to the intricacies of the nation’s highest office? Without question Obama will take office with the country facing more problems than any new president has faced in the past forty years. This does not provide an excuse. Extraordinary times create extraordinary men. History has shown that in order to be considered “great” a president must not only face tough crises, but must rise to the challenge and leave the country better than he found it. Mr. Obama, the opportunity for greatness is yours for the taking.

While somewhat cringe-inducing for me to re-read 8 years later, what better time to bring this back to life than now, right?

With the gift of hindsight I think there are two factors I didn't anticipate that tremendously influenced his presidency: (1) the administration lost the messaging battle very early on and even as economic indicators improved they never really were able to effectively convince people that their version of events was the definitive version and (2) the extreme ideological/partisan opposition Obama faced. It's true that most presidents find themselves embroiled in partisan battles throughout their presidency, but the uncompromising nature of the opposition Obama faced immediately from Congressional Republicans, and later from the Tea Party wave, was something I don't think Obama anticipated or every fully recovered from.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Historians rank him 12th out of 44.

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2 ... ge=overall

It looks like the narrative is also slowly being changed on Andrew Jackson--still a lot of work to get him down all the way to the very bottom where he belongs.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 5:28 pm 
Major Dude

Green Habit wrote:

It looks like the narrative is also slowly being changed on Andrew Jackson--still a lot of work to get him down all the way to the very bottom where he belongs.

Lower than Trump?

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

wease wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Lower than Trump?
Patience, grasshopper: "out of 44".

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 5:33 pm 
Major Dude

Green Habit wrote:
wease wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Lower than Trump?
Patience, grasshopper: "out of 44".

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 3:28 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2022 3:56 pm 
The Master

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate