The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 11:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
I really think that hypothetical situation has too many variables to warrant a yes or no answer.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 11:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Should a transitioned individual tell you they used to be a different sex before having sexual intercourse with you? How would you feel if they didn't?

I'm probably not woke enough, but yes and sick.

Sick? Really?

I'm not proud, but that's how I'd feel.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 12:36 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I tend to prickle as these types of hypotheticals because they have such overtones of gay panic. It takes someone else's deeply complex physiological and psychological issue and tries to boil it down to some kind of either/or game for (let's be honest) straight cis dudes to play. People are allowed to have their own thoughts and feelings and I would never try to discount them--my objection isn't to anyone's answers, really, just to the basis of the question itself. (After thinking about it for 5-10 minutes, I even think my original response about "variables" is a knee-jerk reaction that I regret.)

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 12:40 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
I tend to prickle as these types of hypotheticals because they have such overtones of gay panic. It takes someone else's deeply complex physiological and psychological issue and tries to boil it down to some kind of either/or game for (let's be honest) straight cis dudes to play. People are allowed to have their own thoughts and feelings and I would never try to discount them--my objection isn't to anyone's answers, really, just to the basis of the question itself. (After thinking about it for 5-10 minutes, I even think my original response about "variables" is a knee-jerk reaction that I regret.)

That’s fair. I certainly framed it as “met in bar, went home together” vs dated for a bit first. They should still tell you.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 1:01 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

And tbf, I think shit-posting about this on RM isn't that big of a deal. But I do worry about rhetoric that paints trans people with a broad brush as dangerous and deceitful (when, as I know you know, they are far more often the victims of violence crime and self-harm) leading to harmful policies and actions. I think most of us can separate how we personally feel about something (and I don't want to discount how anyone would react viscerally to this--if you would feel sick or violated in that situation, it's not my job to change that) versus supporting "bathroom bills" or the Transgender American Registration Act (I better keep my voice down and not give them ideas).

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 1:47 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I don't want anyone in the bathroom with me... I don't care how transsexual you are or aren't. I don't even like my wife to be in the bathroom with me.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 2:05 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
I don't want anyone in the bathroom with me... I don't care how transsexual you are or aren't. I don't even like my wife to be in the bathroom with me.

What do you do at sporting events?

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 2:13 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Watch sports at home

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 2:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

where do you gloryhole then? the airport?

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 2:15 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Gloryhole is for ppl with authority issues

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 6:29 am 
mXn

Answer the question tree

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 2:47 am 
Looks Like a Cat

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/andrew-sullivan-the-nature-of-sex.html

Quote:
”A gay man loves and desires other men, and a lesbian desires and loves other women,” explains Sky Gilbert, a drag queen. “This defines the existential state of being gay. If there is no such thing as ‘male’ or ‘female,’ the entire self-definition of gay identity, which we have spent generations seeking to validate and protect from bigots, collapses.”

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 2:58 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Roger Stone method is alive and well, it would seem.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 3:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

By which I mean, the act of creating a faux version of your enemy meant to spout your agenda from inside the ranks, and as a result people who should know better pass the message on as “interesting.”

Quote:
WoLF is hostile to trans groups, but they’re really cozy with Republicans.

The group is extremely friendly with right-wing media. They appeared on Tucker Carlson’s show. A few of their members took part in a 2017 anti-trans panel called “Biology Isn’t Bigotry” hosted by the ultra-conservative Heritage Foundation.

WoLF takes funding from conservatives, too. LGBTQ Nation points out that WoLF board member Kara Dansky received a $15,000 grant from the Alliance Defending Freedom, a right-wing evangelical Christian law firm that fights marriage equality and even wants homosexuality criminalized.

WoLF also receives funding via Imperial Independent Media, a right-wing propaganda outlet run by Zachary Freeman, a man who sued a fetal tissue clinic in the hopes of getting the employees’ names and home addresses in order to turn them over to angry anti-abortion activists.

And WoLF’s suit against trans rights activist Gavin Grimm‘s Title IX battle was a collaboration with the Family Policy Alliance, a religious organization that opposes same-sex marriage and birth control.

A few LGBTQ publications have noticed WoLF’s shady relationships with homophobic, misogynistic right-wingers. In response, WoLF posted a vague statement on their website claiming to be victims of “digital hate-stalking.” They also call their critics’ accusations of collusion with right-wingers “purely sexist.”

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 1:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Can we focus on the message and not the messenger?

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 2:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:

If you feel it is an argument worth making, I will be happy to read what you write. But no, I’m not going to humor it when it comes from the mouths of a prop group whose entire purpose is to distort the conversation with bad faith and deception.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 3:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

If you feel it is an argument worth making, I will be happy to read what you write. But no, I’m not going to humor it when it comes from the mouths of a prop group whose entire purpose is to distort the conversation with bad faith and deception.

Here’s an article by Andrew Sullivan on the topic:

http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?p=1297217#p1297217

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 3:17 pm 
The Master

If there’s one thing I’ve gleaned from the LGBTQ people I’ve talked to, it’s that they usually view sexuality as a completely rigid, closed, binary thing and any deviation from that gay/straight dichotomy is not tolerated and constitutes an existential threat

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 8:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

FURY AS EX-OLYMPIAN SHARRON DAVIES SAYS TRANS WOMEN SHOULD NOT COMPETE IN WOMEN'S SPORT

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/sharron-davies-transgender-women-banned-sport-a8805186.html

PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 8:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
FURY AS EX-OLYMPIAN SHARRON DAVIES SAYS TRANS WOMEN SHOULD NOT COMPETE IN WOMEN'S SPORT

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/sharron-davies-transgender-women-banned-sport-a8805186.html

Nothing new here - Martina Navratilova said the same thing a while back and they are both correct

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 126  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate