The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Russia
PostPosted: Thu September 05, 2019 2:28 am 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
I searched for both 'guys' and 'seriously'

Topics only and it is sandwiched between this and this

PostPosted: Thu September 05, 2019 2:51 am 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
its still not working and im getting pretty pissed off.

obviously your RM trademark expired.

PostPosted: Thu September 05, 2019 3:59 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I still love that bird so fucking much

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat January 15, 2022 12:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

WWIII? Or just a new proxy war?

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 4:27 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
WWIII? Or just a new proxy war?

I don't know why the Ukraine accepted unenforceable assurances from the US and Russia in exchange for giving up the nukes back in 91. At the very least could have sold them to China in exchange for conventional ballistic or cruise missiles which would be a useful deterrent in just this situation.

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 12:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

State Dept. bragging about how successfully their backing of insurgents in Afghanistan worked against Russia in the 80s feels a bit foolish.

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 11:14 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

My same old relatives that don't trust anything the media or government tells them regarding domestic matters (rightly, I might add) are willing to believe whatever the very same sources say regarding Russia/Ukraine. They can't be helped.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 11:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
My same old relatives that don't trust anything the media or government tells them regarding domestic matters (rightly, I might add) are willing to believe whatever the very same sources say regarding Russia/Ukraine. They can't be helped.

If the media is being provacative here, its not really in the administration's interest. We don't really have any good options and prompting the admin to make more aggressive statements will just make then look weaker whenever this current status changes.

PostPosted: Tue January 18, 2022 8:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Tue January 18, 2022 8:40 pm 
Poster of the Year

Sounds like their own Barry Goldwater.

PostPosted: Wed January 19, 2022 4:04 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Are they trying to answer my post from the other day?

PostPosted: Wed January 19, 2022 4:14 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
Are they trying to answer my post from the other day?

I don't think they believe that they can win with a first strike. They don't have a technical advantage sufficient to justify that claim. Its either to assuage domestic concerns on the cost/ benefit analysis of invading Ukraine or to intimidate the US to giving in.

PostPosted: Wed January 19, 2022 12:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

So proxy war. Got it.

PostPosted: Wed January 19, 2022 7:27 pm 

The machinery is in motion.

PostPosted: Wed January 19, 2022 10:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Did Biden just let Russia know that they can take more of Eastern Ukraine, as a treat?

(We are effectively unable to prevent that, but you don't need to say it out loud)

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 4:02 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
So proxy war. Got it.

I don't know if that is quite the correct term. We aren't goading* the Ukrainians to do anything they wouldn't do without our paltry support. Russians aren't going to rely exclusively on Belarus and Donbas to invade, if they do so.

The Brits are the only ones to send anti-tank systems because they use some non-US made systems. Other European countries (Baltics maybe?) want to send US made systems but we have not approved their re-export.
We sent whatever we could buy or steal to jihadis in Syria but we won't allow re-export to Ukraine?

Russia wants to force Ukraine back into their sphere of influence. Us promising they won't be allowed into NATO doesn't fully accomplish that goal.

*unless yoi believe the Russians that Ukraine's Maidan movement was entirely a creation of NGOs and the CIA

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 12:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm using the term to mean the US backing/training/Spec. Op. supporting non-official Ukrainian combatants against the Russian/Belarusian & Ukrainian seperatist forces.

The arms non-dealing/exporting obviously gets in the way of this plan. Hadn't read about that. It was based on the US's bragging about their successes against the soviets in Afghanistan.

To Burts thread post: Isn't it curious that for 4 years Dems connected Team Trump to Russia (and their partners) and Russia chooses now (when said team is out of office) to act this way? And the response from the right is to let Russia have what they want?

Biden is damned either way.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 3:14 pm 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
I'm using the term to mean the US backing/training/Spec. Op. supporting non-official Ukrainian combatants against the Russian/Belarusian & Ukrainian seperatist forces.

The arms non-dealing/exporting obviously gets in the way of this plan. Hadn't read about that. It was based on the US's bragging about their successes against the soviets in Afghanistan.

To Burts thread post: Isn't it curious that for 4 years Dems connected Team Trump to Russia (and their partners) and Russia chooses now (when said team is out of office) to act this way? And the response from the right is to let Russia have what they want?

Biden is damned either way.

I think the response from the right is lets watch the Biden shit show. There is no winning hand in the short term, so folding or keeping silent is a good play when not in power.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 3:32 pm 

elliseamos wrote:

Yes, it is curious that he held off on acting in Russia's interests until he no longer had a Russian agent installed in The White House that would let him do whatever he wanted. So curious that it suggests that the fundamentals of the argument don't make no sense at all!

The response from the Right is muddled and conflicting because -- like I've been saying for years -- there are now two rights (and the populist Trump one isn't remotely the worst), which is something you people haven't figured out yet.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 4:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

My sister in law is Ukrainian. I visited there for their wedding. Disgusting what Putin is doing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate