The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Russia
PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 6:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
I've been saying for years -- there are now two rights (and the populist Trump one isn't remotely the worst), which is something you people haven't figured out yet.

I continue to agree with you that the majority of conservatives now primarily fall into two groups, but I don't agree that one is populist and the other isn't. Trump's rhetoric has never been very different from the rhetoric that Republicans have used to speak to their base since the Gingrich years, and it's certainly not much different from the Tea Party. It's just escalated, more openly stated, and much more willing to openly reject the legitimacy of any opposition.

And it is every bit as much driven towards plutocracy as it is fueled by populism.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 6:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
The arms non-dealing/exporting obviously gets in the way of this plan. Hadn't read about that. It was based on the US's bragging about their successes against the soviets in Afghanistan.

Supposedly they are following the normal months long approval process, but you'd think they'd fast track it.

Germany's transparently scared of offending Russia. They'll sell anything to third world despots, but their high standards of export control preclude them from selling to Ukraine. France is being France.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 7:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Saw this yesterday and wasn't sure what to make of the flight plan:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 7:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Easier to agree with Denmark and Poland probably. Germany has been less involved in such things for a while.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 8:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Saw this yesterday and wasn't sure what to make of the flight plan:

Germany hasn't overtly blocked overflights, but the UK doesn't want any potential delays from such requests, and maybe to not put them in a position to reject them.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 8:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

To Burts thread post: Isn't it curious that for 4 years Dems connected Team Trump to Russia (and their partners) and Russia chooses now (when said team is out of office) to act this way? And the response from the right is to let Russia have what they want?

Yes, it is curious that he held off on acting in Russia's interests until he no longer had a Russian agent installed in The White House that would let him do whatever he wanted. So curious that it suggests that the fundamentals of the argument don't make no sense at all!

The response from the Right is muddled and conflicting because -- like I've been saying for years -- there are now two rights (and the populist Trump one isn't remotely the worst), which is something you people haven't figured out yet.
He? Your reply is what's muddled.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 8:53 pm 
Poster of the Year

McParadigm wrote:
Trump's rhetoric has never been very different from the rhetoric that Republicans have used to speak to their base since the Gingrich years, and it's certainly not much different from the Tea Party. It's just escalated, more openly stated, and much more willing to openly reject the legitimacy of any opposition.

It goes back further than that. Trumpism is Bircherism.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 9:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Norris wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Trump's rhetoric has never been very different from the rhetoric that Republicans have used to speak to their base since the Gingrich years, and it's certainly not much different from the Tea Party. It's just escalated, more openly stated, and much more willing to openly reject the legitimacy of any opposition.

I’m less interested in documenting the historical course of the rhetoric than in simply acknowledging that it is not entirely “different than.” I think the main distinction between the reality of Trump-era conservative populism and Burt’s romanticized vision of it is in the part you cut out:

McParadigm wrote:
And it is every bit as much driven towards plutocracy as it is fueled by populism.

PostPosted: Thu January 20, 2022 9:29 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I was only using the common label there. I'll let others argue over whether or not it's actually populist, though I will say that I think it's crazy to say it's as plutocratic or more plutocratic than the neocon right (and center left democrats for that matter.)

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri January 21, 2022 8:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Sat January 22, 2022 12:00 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

This isn’t good. Don’t drag us into this crap

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 1:06 pm 

Good thread on what the Russians are up to off our coast. It’s possibly very bad.

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 4:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Speculation? I think Navy Bean drops by the end of the week!

PostPosted: Sun January 23, 2022 4:50 pm 
Production Police

McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I've been saying for years -- there are now two rights (and the populist Trump one isn't remotely the worst), which is something you people haven't figured out yet.

I continue to agree with you that the majority of conservatives now primarily fall into two groups, but I don't agree that one is populist and the other isn't. Trump's rhetoric has never been very different from the rhetoric that Republicans have used to speak to their base since the Gingrich years, and it's certainly not much different from the Tea Party. It's just escalated, more openly stated, and much more willing to openly reject the legitimacy of any opposition.

I think the bold part is just the natural outgrowth of the party’s need/attempts to join isolationist/populist beliefs with traditional free market ideology.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 2:28 pm 

The Americans and British are pulling out all their embassy staff and families.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 2:41 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

curious to hear what americans think about a nation invading another nation.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 3:16 pm 

Something like 5 million US troops and thousands of war planes etc have been through Shannon airport on their way to and from the Middle East.

I guess were owed a kick in the balls for enabling it.
Selective neutrality

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 3:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Norris wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Perlstein gang.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 4:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/1/24/uk-pulls-staff-from-ukraine-as-fears-of-war-rise-liveblog

NATO allies have put forces on standby and sent ships and fighter jets to bolster Europe’s eastern defences as tensions soar over Russia’s military buildup near Ukraine.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 4:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Feel sorry for my sister in law’s family. Some of the nicest people I know. Hopefully they will all survive this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate