The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Russia
PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 4:05 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

How many Americans are serving jail sentences in say Singapore or Thailand for minor drug possession charges that the State Department has never issued statements about? A dozen? More? Some things don't rise to the level of the Federal government giving a shit about. This would have been one of them, but apparently the WNBA being unable to sell enough tickets made this a civil rights issue.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 4:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i am not sure if you just arrived in america but sports figures ( yes even female athletes ) tend to get a lot more publicity than the normal joes of the world

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 4:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Peeps wrote:
i am not sure if you just arrived in america but sports figures ( yes even female athletes ) tend to get a lot more publicity than the normal joes of the world

So we are formalizing a class system where the feds pull out all the stops for our newly classified aristocracy? Well then, I have no objections.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 5:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
Peeps wrote:

So we are formalizing a class system where the feds pull out all the stops for our newly classified aristocracy? Well then, I have no objections.

that is not what i said, you asked why she got so much more publicity and why it rose to the level it did. it is because athletes tend to garner that kind of adulation that normal joes do not

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 5:47 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Peeps wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Peeps wrote:

that is not what i said, you asked why she got so much more publicity and why it rose to the level it did. it is because athletes tend to garner that kind of adulation that normal joes do not

And what do you think about that?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 6:16 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Peeps wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Peeps wrote:

in an ideal world everyone would be treated equal, all thoughts would be treated equal and everyone would be paid the same, loved the same were everyone is the same.

but since we live in a less than ideal world you have to take what it gives

is it fair that athletes garner more fame and fortune than a teacher?
is it fair that some ignoramus on a supposed news station has greater reach to people than some other ignoramus on a supposed news station?
is it fair that some people still treat same sex marriage as abhorrent yet have no problem with their church being one of the greatest breeding grounds for child molesters?

in the end to this specific case the administration was going to make people happy that BG was brought home and it would piss off an equal amount of people that she was brought home. can you yourself state you dont put some people on a higher pedestal than others?

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 6:31 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Peeps wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Peeps wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Peeps wrote:

in an ideal world everyone would be treated equal, all thoughts would be treated equal and everyone would be paid the same, loved the same were everyone is the same.

is it fair that some ignoramus on a supposed news station has greater reach to people than some other ignoramus on a supposed news station?
is it fair that some people still treat same sex marriage as abhorrent yet have no problem with their church being one of the greatest breeding grounds for child molesters?

in the end to this specific case the administration was going to make people happy that BG was brought home and it would piss off an equal amount of people that she was brought home. can you yourself state you dont put some people on a higher pedestal than others?

I don't have much of an opinion on this particular instance one way or another but the key difference is all your examples are private decisions and this was a decision by a government that is supposed to be based on equality before the law.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 7:07 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Peeps wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Peeps wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Peeps wrote:

No one is pissed off that she is brought home. Who it pisses off or makes happy has little relevance with regards to what is right anyway.

You seem to have no idea what people here are arguing. Can you understand that the argument people are making is that this decision, while having a good outcome for one kinda clueless but basically innocent person, could have unforeseen negative consequences for others down the line? Can you understand that the actual concern people have is that it could have net negative consequences in the broader scheme of things? That actually refusing to barter here could result in a greater positive outcome?

No. You don't. You just think life is like Star Wars and that there are Good Guys who want everyone to be happy, and Bad Guys who want to destroy the world (and who are apparently totally ok with "breeding grounds for child molesters".) Again, you have a child's understanding of the world. But before you furiously type some whataboutism like "what about when Republicans do--!" you can stop right there. I'll agree with you: Most Republicans think the same way you do.

What do you think about the Biden administration giving special treatment to athletes here? You seem to agree that this is what he is doing, and because of public pressure (good publicity). ok. I'm not asking you whether special treatment for athletes exists. I'm asking you if it is possible to criticize the president for doing it (while at the same time possibly harming national interests.)

Quote:

This is definitely not an ideal world. And no, Biden doesn't have to take whatever is given.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Fri December 09, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 7:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Just a reminder:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... oversight/

Quote:
U.S. monitors have inspected just 10 percent of high-risk weapons sent to Ukraine

and where did Bout get his weapons from the first time through? Former soviet block nations
And who kept him in jail the last two decades? USA! USA! USA!
And what was he arrest for? Selling surface to air missiles to shoot down US planes

This could end really, really badly.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 7:35 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
Just a reminder:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... oversight/

Quote:
U.S. monitors have inspected just 10 percent of high-risk weapons sent to Ukraine

and where did Bout get his weapons from the first time through? Former soviet block nations
And who kept him in jail the last two decades? USA! USA! USA!
And what was he arrest for? Selling surface to air missiles to shoot down US planes

This could end really, really badly.

I don't think he'd be welcome in Ukraine and they've basically burned through all the former Soviet munitions of all of Eastern Europe so Bout might just be out of stockpiles to sell from. What's he going to do, buy at full price from North Korea or Iran? You can't make decent margins on that.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 7:50 pm 

BurtReynolds wrote:
I did get flashbacks to the end of Lord of War.

Didn't realize this is the guy the movie is based on.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:01 pm 

Merchant of Death really should have tipped me off.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Peeps wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Peeps wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Peeps wrote:

No one is pissed off that she is brought home. Who it pisses off or makes happy has little relevance with regards to what is right anyway.

You seem to have no idea what people here are arguing. Can you understand that the argument people are making is that this decision, while having a good outcome for one kinda clueless but basically innocent person, could have unforeseen negative consequences for others down the line? Can you understand that the actual concern people have is that it could have net negative consequences in the broader scheme of things? That actually refusing to barter here could result in a greater positive outcome?

No. You don't. You just think life is like Star Wars and that there are Good Guys who want everyone to be happy, and Bad Guys who want to destroy the world (and who are apparently totally ok with "breeding grounds for child molesters".) Again, you have a child's understanding of the world. But before you furiously type some whataboutism like "what about when Republicans do--!" you can stop right there. I'll agree with you: Most Republicans think the same way you do.

What do you think about the Biden administration giving special treatment to athletes here? You seem to agree that this is what he is doing, and because of public pressure (good publicity). ok. I'm not asking you whether special treatment for athletes exists. I'm asking you if it is possible to criticize the president for doing it (while at the same time possibly harming national interests.)

Quote:

This is definitely not an ideal world. And no, Biden doesn't have to take whatever is given.

jesus H christ are you thick. i never once said i agreed that athletes should be held on a pedestal. no matter how much you try to twist my agreement that they did the best trade they could.

very few people are outraged over the prisoner swap in terms of what a monster he is. the majority of Republicans and others are touting pretty much the same thing. they left a marine behind

in terms of their crimes yes there is a huge disparity. and i stand by what i said that the admin took the best deal they could to get one of their citizens back. it seems to me those pointing out that a marine (who was discharged unfavorably for larceny vs a person who didnt serve and smoked a joint) would be happier that he was brought home instead

which then begs the question would they be unhappy that one spy who was ours was freed for a russian who is linked to having killed quite a few people?

again either way is a no win situation and the admin did not give preferential treatment to an athlete. they gave preferential treatment to an american and did what they could to get them home safe and sound

you are free to criticize the president and the admin for whatever reason you want to it doesnt mean i have to agree with it

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:16 pm 

One of the real eye opening moments in my life was realizing lots of people genuinely can't understand these arguments, but it still surprises me when otherwise functional people can't get it.

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:25 pm 
Major Dude

Why didn’t Donald Jesus Trump work with his good friend Putin to release Whelan? Instead of, you know, releasing 5000 Taliban members and inviting the Taliban to Camp David. Where’s your outrage about that Marge?

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
One of the real eye opening moments in my life was realizing lots of people genuinely can't understand these arguments, but it still surprises me when otherwise functional people can't get it.

im not sure what you arent getting. i agree their crimes were very disproportionate and one will probably go on committing their crime in the future. if people are going to be ok to get a discharged marine back trading for the merchant then they should equally be happy that they got a different american back. no matter who we got back the "crimes" were going to be very disproportionate. im not assigning a value to either of them and treating them both the same regardless of their social status or past or current jobs. it seems a whole lot of other people are assigning the labels on them

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:30 pm 

wease wrote:
Why didn’t Donald Jesus Trump work with his good friend Putin to release Whelan? Instead of, you know, releasing 5000 Taliban members and inviting the Taliban to Camp David. Where’s your outrage about that Marge?

Oh wow that must make me a real hypocrite, huh?

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:37 pm 
Major Dude

BurtReynolds wrote:
wease wrote:

Oh wow that must make me a real hypocrite, huh?

You tell me. But you’re not Marge. Or are you?

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Isn't MTG's tweet kind of contradictory? "How many people will Bout kill bc Biden set him free" but also "Biden left a Marine to rot in jail" sounds a lot like "I would have been ok with how many people Bout would kill if only the Marine was set free as well"

PostPosted: Fri December 09, 2022 8:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:

We all have our crosses to bear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 62  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate