The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 2:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I was born in North Carolina, and lived in SC for middle and high school, then college and post college. I've also spent a good deal of time in Virginia, which gets very Southern, once you get away from the DC Metro Area. Still though, VA feels different than other Southern states. It has a good to excellent public schools systems, and Universities, it's an affluent state (largely due to Fairfax/Alexandria/Arlington/Louden), and is pretty "purple" for Political Elections. So, I don't typically think of it when I think of "The South", but, well, Richmond, VA was the capitol of the CSA. So, on the other hand, it's definitely "The South".

Anyway, the point is, I think of myself more as a southerner than a northerner. But, the good 'ol boys and the religious right sure wouldn't claim me.

As for the Confederate Flag, it's a hot rod issue down there. On the one hand, people view it akin to the swastika. Yet others, non-good 'ol boys / non-racist, don't have issue with it, if used in a historical context. For example, a War Memorial that shows the various Flags of the Confederacy, or Museum - http://www.moc.org/collections-archives ... onfederacy, or you go to Bull Run, or something along those lines. Some of these people even had kin who fought for the CSA. They want to honor/pay respect the men / boys, who died. So, in that context, I don't really have a problem displaying a Confederate Flag and learning about the Civil War (War Between The States as it's called in the South).

But...when the State issues something, like a Texas License Plate, or it's displayed on the State Capitol Grounds (SC), then well, I think you're just asking for trouble. It seems people that support it are literally, rebel rousers, or maybe even racists. I think few who view the CSA like I do, no problem with talking history / family history with those who fought in the war, would ever get Rebel Flag bumper stickers, or stuff like that. I think it's tacky, shows ignorance, and just says "hey, I'm a racist, let's fight!".

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 3:11 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I regularly run into country boys here that still use the "n" word without second thought.

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 3:12 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I regularly run into country boys here that still use the "n" word without second thought.

you should probably move

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 3:13 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

you should probably move

No, here at the beach it is mostly relocated northerners, so it isn't a thing. But if I'm on a survey job inland on some 100 acre swamp/farm, it is common.

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 3:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

you should probably move

No, here at the beach it is mostly relocated northerners, so it isn't a thing. But if I'm on a survey job inland on some 100 acre swamp/farm, it is common.

The swamps in South Carolina are beautiful.

http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/dillon- ... lpond.html

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 3:30 pm 

darth_vedder wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

you should probably move

Not when you are sludging through them trying to avoid gators, copperheads, and cottonmouths.

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 3:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

you should probably move

Not when you are sludging through them trying to avoid gators, copperheads, and cottonmouths.

I meant looking at them via pictures. I'm too chicken shit to go walking around in them.

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2015 11:03 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2015 12:06 pm 
RM Elitist

I'm calling bullshit on darth_ being a southerner. No southerner would ever call it "Bull Run."

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2015 1:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

^ :lol:

I meant the Battle of Manassas (although Bull Run sounds cooler).

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2015 3:11 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

darth_vedder wrote:
Some of these people even had kin who fought for the CSA. They want to honor/pay respect the men / boys, who died. So, in that context, I don't really have a problem displaying a Confederate Flag and learning about the Civil War (War Between The States as it's called in the South).

I'm not sure about this one. Do people really care that there great great great grand uncle died 150 odd years ago and if they do is it really necessary to honor them with a flag synonymous with slavery?

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2015 3:36 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Some of these people even had kin who fought for the CSA. They want to honor/pay respect the men / boys, who died. So, in that context, I don't really have a problem displaying a Confederate Flag and learning about the Civil War (War Between The States as it's called in the South).

I'm not sure about this one. Do people really care that there great great great grand uncle died 150 odd years ago and if they do is it really necessary to honor them with a flag synonymous with slavery?

I knew people like that. I mean, WW2 was 60 years ago, should we forget about them too? It's not like those people have Confederate stuff on full display. They're not flying a flag or wear t-shirts, or have bumper stickers on their car or anything like that. However, they view the flag, in the proper context, as a sign of Southern Pride, and Heritage, not racism. Believe what you want, I don't really care, I'm just telling you what I've seen / heard.

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2015 4:57 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Where I live is now part of suburban Atlanta but growing up there was it was much more rural. Even in 70s seeing a confederate flag or hearing the N word was nothing unusual; I even remember a couple times seeing KKK members handing out flyers as a very young child. Older family members would say the word but I was taught it was a bad word to call people and I shouldn't use bad words. So I didn't. I remember a local restaurant as a kid called Johnny Reb's and it was decorated with a civil war theme. It was country style place and no one thought anything about it but that would never go over today. I started hearing the N word a lot less in early 80s and I very rarely heard it spoken among friends as I got older. Even when I went to college in south Georgia I was surprised the couple times I would hear it mentioned casually with white friends. By now it was the 90s and the word was used almost exclusively by black people when I heard it.
Personally that word is much more offensive to me than the Confederate flag. I see it as more of a redneck pride symbol than a racist one unless it's an overt example. I associate it with blue collar guys who love muddin', old time NASCAR and can carry on long conversations about deer stands more than I do "white power". Again, sometimes that though is the clear intention but not in the vast majority of times I see it today.
There is a historical presence with the Confederate and if used in that context, like a memorial, I am not offended or think "redneck". And of course the flag is more identified with the south because that is where the Confederacy was and most of the Civil War took place. Outside of major cities there was no influx of new people with new ideas and new ways of seeing things so mindsets didn't change. As television became popular, and even more so with the internet, these attitudes have slowly eroded with each new generation.

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2015 5:32 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2015 8:22 pm 

The flowers are a nice touch

PostPosted: Sun June 21, 2015 3:13 am 

darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

I knew people like that. I mean, WW2 was 60 years ago, should we forget about them too? It's not like those people have Confederate stuff on full display. They're not flying a flag or wear t-shirts, or have bumper stickers on their car or anything like that. However, they view the flag, in the proper context, as a sign of Southern Pride, and Heritage, not racism. Believe what you want, I don't really care, I'm just telling you what I've seen / heard.

I'd talk about this more but I don't feel like typing it out.

PostPosted: Sun June 21, 2015 3:21 am 

There was a "take down the flag" rally at the statehouse today. Here is a screenshot of some comments on the local news Facebook page, to give you an idea of how it is still a heated subject here:

PostPosted: Sun June 21, 2015 3:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

You seem to imply that I have some dog in this fight. I don't. I don't really care. I really don't spend any time at all, until the recent few days, even thinking about the confederate flag.

My stance is, I don't think governments (state/local/feds) should sanction anything with it (grounds, license plates, etc...). But if a individual at his private residence, or on his private property decides the fly it, wear it, whatever, I don't care. That's their call. I think it's tacky, rednecky, trashy, etc..., but whatevs...If redneck Johnny puts a bumper sticker on his car, so be it.

PostPosted: Sun June 21, 2015 6:10 pm 

darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

You seem to imply that I have some dog in this fight. I don't. I don't really care. I really don't spend any time at all, until the recent few days, even thinking about the confederate flag.

My stance is, I don't think governments (state/local/feds) should sanction anything with it (grounds, license plates, etc...). But if a individual at his private residence, or on his private property decides the fly it, wear it, whatever, I don't care. That's their call. I think it's tacky, rednecky, trashy, etc..., but whatevs...If redneck Johnny puts a bumper sticker on his car, so be it.

Just a misreading of my question friend. It wasn't directed at you primarily but to the thread about the notion that displaying the flag was honoring soldiers who died in the Civil War. I was curious what people thought of that. I didn't think it was your position just "other peoples" positions. Folks you know. I could tell you took it wrong with the 'I don't care what you think" reply and kind of lost interest at that point.

PostPosted: Sun June 21, 2015 6:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Just a misreading of my question friend. It wasn't directed at you primarily but to the thread about the notion that displaying the flag was honoring soldiers who died in the Civil War. I was curious what people thought of that. I didn't think it was your position just "other peoples" positions. Folks you know. I could tell you took it wrong with the 'I don't care what you think" reply and kind of lost interest at that point.

Cool deal, yeah, not looking to argue or anything, merely attempting to post observations of what I have seen / heard. Sorry to come off as saying "I don't care"...I meant more in a "hey, this isn't my fight" type of way, rather than a "I don't care what YOU think" type of way. Personally, I DO care what you think. I mean, you won the Nirvana tournament, and in my head, that means you must know what your doing / talking about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate