The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's 1 seat between Labour and Tory?
PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BTW I love the UK, been there more than 30 times. Have got several friends (native, Norwegian and from elsewhere) and family (native) there. Even had a season ticket for a Premier League side one season.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:04 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Anders wrote:
Can't agree. Think it's a real shame they are leaving. Europe working together can only be a good thing.

No reason countries can't work together and still be free of foreign oligarchs.

Is that how you see the EU? That's a very difficult place to start the debate.

The EU and NATO are the reason we have avoided a third world war and have lasting peace in Europe. It is why the countries in the EU are more financially stable and prosperous than ever before. It is why we can travel freely between the countries, and why trade works without useless barriers. It's been vital on human rights, and working for good in the world. It has put stability back in Eastern Europe after the fall of the wall, and protected them against Russia. It is so much more.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:14 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Anders wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Anders wrote:
Can't agree. Think it's a real shame they are leaving. Europe working together can only be a good thing.

No reason countries can't work together and still be free of foreign oligarchs.

Is that how you see the EU? That's a very difficult place to start the debate.

The EU and NATO are the reason we have avoided a third world war and have lasting peace in Europe. It is why the countries in the EU are more financially stable and prosperous than ever before. It is why we can travel freely between the countries, and why trade works without useless barriers. It's been vital on human rights, and working for good in the world. It has put stability back in Eastern Europe after the fall of the wall, and protected them against Russia. It is so much more.

I haven't got time to form a long reply so I'll just say Yes. Thankyou.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:19 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:22 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Anders wrote:
It's not a Tory leaflet, and was distributed by racists in a local election in Clapham in 1970:
https://medium.com/@pitt_bob/if-you-desire-a-coloured-for-your-neighbour-vote-labour-the-origins-of-a-racist-leaflet-7978858dd02f

Feels weird bringing it up in 2016, no matter who you support.

The one Spenno posted at the top of the page is from 1929. I thought it was just a thing we were doing.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:23 pm 

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:27 pm 
post-structuralist

theplatypus wrote:
Anders wrote:
It's not a Tory leaflet, and was distributed by racists in a local election in Clapham in 1970:
https://medium.com/@pitt_bob/if-you-desire-a-coloured-for-your-neighbour-vote-labour-the-origins-of-a-racist-leaflet-7978858dd02f

The one Spenno posted at the top of the page is from 1929. I thought it was just a thing we were doing.

You're replying to the wrong person. Again, d#ck

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
How exactly did the EU avoid WW3?! If anything they seem to be driving toward another one.

NATO is great sure, at least until it overreached and ran up against Russia's borders. NATO's expansion has little to do with peace and more to do with power.

Again, there is no reason nations can't work together and have those things you listed while still maintaining their own sovereignty (NATO is a good example). The EU has converted countries like Greece and others into debt slaves, and now they have the audacity to demand that struggling eastern European countries take more refugees or face the consequences? How is that ethical? I couldn't imagine another country demanding the US do anything. We certainly wouldn't tolerate it.

For hundreds of years, there was the Seven Years' war, the Napoleonic wars, the Franco-German war, WW1, WW2, and countless other conflicts, that ripped the continent apart. Yet, since the EU was formed there has been peace and prosperity. There is an absolutely 0% chance of a war within the EU in the near future.

I think we all know that if NATO and the EU had not gone up towards the Russian borders, that those countries would probably be part of Russia now. See Crimea, Eastern Ukraine, Transnistria (Moldova), their negative cold war like influence on Minsk (Belarus), Ossetia and Abkhazia (Georgia), even inside the country like Dagestan and Chechnya, and their continuous pressure towards the Baltic states, or how they behaved in Eastern Europe before the fall of the Iron Curtain, stamping down all movements towards democracy and free speech. Even their support of a dictator like Assad, because it suits their interests. Only united can we work for a better Russia, and a stable peace. They respect power and strength, not weakness and cowardice.

The EU is at no fault for Greece. It is their own fault for their weak economic policies. They have gotten backing in the billions, and still are mad at those bailing them out. Still they cling to a lower retirement age than anywhere else. 75% of Greeks retire before they are 61. Yet, this also shows the beauty of the EU. Each nation can make its own decisions on policy, and there are still large variations across the continent. Because people decide what they want for their country.

However, Hungary and others not accepting refugees in the middle of the biggest refugee crisis the world has ever faced, is nothing less than shameful, from the worst leader in Europe.

Last edited by Anders on Thu June 08, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:41 pm 
Poster of the Year

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
Anders wrote:

But that's a logical and reasonable poster, made by the actual party. Not some racist made propaganda from a local election 47 years ago.

The Master

Im going to trust my EU friends on this one and not that anarchist Burtreynolds

Poster of the Year

the meteoric rise of Anders

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:44 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:46 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Oh look the board parrots are here.

i dont know much but i know that my girlfriend feels very strongly about the EU and what it has done to countries. Other than iceland and Greece, most have prospered significantly in the past 20 years or so. She see's it every time she goes home throughout Scotland.

Im becoming fascinated with it and I hope to learn more.

Poster of the Year

BurtReynolds wrote:

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:47 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Strat wrote:
Im going to trust my EU friends on this one and not that anarchist Burtreynolds

Norway isn't in the EU.

talking about my girlfriend and everyone I met over there including her parents, siblings, friends etc...and Dime :)

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:48 pm 

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2017 8:48 pm 
Poster of the Year

BurtReynolds wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

checkmate.

globeheads win again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate