Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Our universe is so rad!

Fri August 04, 2017 8:54 am

dimejinky99 wrote:That's no moon

It's a space station!

Sun August 06, 2017 11:34 pm

hlniv wrote:So what are some of your plans for the grand solar eclipse event?

That may be my first day at a new job, so probably nothing. We're only going to get a glancing blow, anyways.

When I was in elementary school, there was nearly a total eclipse and someone's dad brought a welding mask to school, and we were able to watch it through that, which was really cool.

Sun August 06, 2017 11:36 pm

I feel like the eclipse is gonna hit a lot of RMers; we've got a good amount of South Carolinians here, right?

Sun August 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Going right thru my area in TN. Looks like the blue line is almost right thru my town.
Last edited by wease on Sun August 06, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun August 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Simple Torture wrote:

That may be my first day at a new job, so probably nothing. We're only going to get a glancing blow, anyways.

When I was in elementary school, there was nearly a total eclipse and someone's dad brought a welding mask to school, and we were able to watch it through that, which was really cool.

I remember that eclipse. I just looked right at it.

Sun August 06, 2017 11:56 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I did too. I was in middle school

Mon August 07, 2017 12:00 am

Work is sending me to either Salem, OR or Casper, WY for the eclipse.

I'd rather go to Salem.

Mon August 07, 2017 12:44 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

This explains a lot.

Mon August 07, 2017 12:45 am

Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

This explains a lot.

I was waiting for that.

Mon August 07, 2017 12:49 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

This explains a lot.

I was waiting for that.

:haha:

I think i did too :\

Mon August 07, 2017 3:15 pm

This town is apparently one of the best places in the country to see the eclipse. It happens to the be the first day of Fall classes too. It's going to be madness.

Mon August 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:This town is apparently one of the best places in the country to see the eclipse. It happens to the be the first day of Fall classes too. It's going to be madness.

All hotels in our area and in upstate SC are booked. They are bringing in medivac helicopters because they are anticipating the traffic being so bad coming into the beach that they are worried about traffic when accidents happen. My friend is having a viewing party at a restaurant about 30 minutes away. I think I'll skip and walk the 3 blocks from my work to the beach.

Mon August 07, 2017 3:30 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:This town is apparently one of the best places in the country to see the eclipse. It happens to the be the first day of Fall classes too. It's going to be madness.

All hotels in our area and in upstate SC are booked. They are bringing in medivac helicopters because they are anticipating the traffic being so bad coming into the beach that they are worried about traffic when accidents happen. My friend is having a viewing party at a restaurant about 30 minutes away. I think I'll skip and walk the 3 blocks from my work to the beach.

They're anticipating thousands to flock here as well. I plan to just step outside of my office around that time. The university is encouraging instructors to cancel classes during that time too.

Are people really going to flock to these towns by the thousands?

Mon August 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

They're anticipating thousands to flock here as well. I plan to just step outside of my office around that time. The university is encouraging instructors to cancel classes during that time too.

Are people really going to flock to these towns by the thousands?

My ex just told me she has to take her son up to Clemson the weekend prior. That is a 5.5 hour trip from here, and she can't get a hotel because they are all booked. Same with hotels in all the towns on the way up/back. So she has to drive 11 hours that day up and back to drop him off at school. As much as I want to lol because it is my ex, it sucks that she can't spend the night and check in with him the next day to see if he needs anything before she leaves town.

Mon August 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Next one in the US isn't until 2024, then not until 2045. If you want to see one before you die, this might be the 2nd-to-last chance for a lot of people.

This message brought to you by the fact that we are just specks of dust floating on a rock that's flying through space and that we're infinitesimally insignificant to the universe as a whole.

Spoiler: show

Mon August 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Next one in the US isn't until 2024, then not until 2045. If you want to see one before you die, this might be the 2nd-to-last chance for a lot of people.

This message brought to you by the fact that we are just specks of dust floating on a rock that's flying through space and that we're infinitesimally insignificant to the universe as a whole.

Spoiler: show

Thanks for the pick me on this wonderful Monday morning.

Sun September 03, 2017 6:52 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.3464088 so, we found aliens.

Sun September 03, 2017 7:43 pm

:cop:

It’s unclear if the signals, observed over a 30-minute period, emanate from black holes, rotating neutron stars, or if they represent signs of alien life.

Sun September 03, 2017 7:58 pm

meatwad wrote::cop:

It’s unclear if the signals, observed over a 30-minute period, emanate from black holes, rotating neutron stars, or if they represent signs of alien life.

Probably aliens though. Almost certainly. :roll:

Tue October 10, 2017 1:21 am

:shock:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... 1507590057
Post a reply