The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our universe is so rad!
PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 1:01 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Niet. It vos great post.

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 1:02 am 
Poster of the Year

don't ruin it

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 2:30 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

dimejinky99 wrote:
United States of the Soviet Union if Putin gets his puppet president in.

This whole thing is fuckin terrifying lads.

That's a bit extreme, no?

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2016 4:02 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

i guess any topic would fit in this thread amirite?

PostPosted: Fri August 12, 2016 8:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

man i've only seen like 4 meteors from this Perseid Shower

PostPosted: Tue October 25, 2016 6:35 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/world/mil ... ended_pool

I hope when it is my time to go there is a service I can purchase to be launched deep into space and just float into nothingness as pass on...

PostPosted: Tue October 25, 2016 6:36 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/world/milky-way-hydrogen-galaxy-map/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

I hope when it is my time to go there is a service I can purchase to be launched deep into space and just float into nothingness as pass on...

Gods creation! Hallelujah!

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 6:14 pm 
Poster of the Year

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017 ... /98244676/

Quote:
Scientists have discovered a remarkable cluster of planets resembling the core of our own solar system, but better: seven Earth-sized worlds, each potentially capable of hosting liquid water and therefore life, in orbit around a nearby star.

Preliminary data suggest all seven planets some 40 light-years from our sun are rocky, which would make them more similar to Earth than, say, Jupiter, a huge ball of gas. Rocky planets seem a better bet than gaseous worlds for offering sanctuary to life as we understand it.

Never before have astronomers found a star circled by so many Earth-like planets with relatively pleasant climates. Better yet, the Hubble Space Telescope and other observatories peering at these new found worlds should be able to pick out chemical signals of any living organisms. Oxygen, for example, is a product of plants, while methane is made by certain microbes.

“We’ve made a crucial step toward finding (out) if there is life out there,” says Amaury Triaud of Britain’s University of Cambridge, co-author of the study on the planets in this week’s Nature. “Here, if life managed to thrive and release gases similar to that (which) we have on Earth, we will know.”

Three of the planets bask in just the right amount of energy from their host star that oceans could wash their surfaces, assuming the worlds are swaddled in atmospheres. Three more could feature smaller water bodies, and water might puddle on the seventh under ideal conditions. Many researchers refer to the region around a star where planets are neither too cold nor too hot to support liquid water on their surfaces as the habitable zone, often jokingly referred to as the Goldilocks zone.

Five of the seven planets are almost exactly the width of Earth, a state scientists call having “Earth radii.” The remaining two are a touch smaller than Earth. Among our celestial companions, Mars and Venus are roughly Earth-sized, Mercury is much smaller and the four outer planets are much bigger. That tally means the new planetary system boasts more Earth-sized worlds than our own solar system.

“Seven planets with Earth radii – that’s unique. And seven of them in the habitable zone – that’s unique as well,” says Francesco Pepe of Switzerland’s Geneva Observatory, who was not involved with the study. Other seven-planet systems have been found, but none with so many planets in the habitable zone, says Abel Méndez of the University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo.

The new herd of planets circles a tiny dim bulb of a star called TRAPPIST-1, which shares its name with the Belgian-operated telescope that discovered some of the planets and, not coincidentally, with a beloved Belgian beer.

The star’s puniness – it’s only 8% the mass of our sun – will make it easier to pin the planets' measurements because smaller stars are more easily influenced by their surrounding planets. Researchers have already confirmed that at least two of the planets don’t have flabby hydrogen atmospheres, which would render them uninhabitable.

“Of all the planets we’ve found, this has risen to the top as the most exciting (for) the potential of studying habitability,” says Boston University’s Philip Muirhead, who was not involved with the study.

The Hubble Space Telescope should be able to detect methane and water in the planets’ atmospheres, says study co-author Michaël Gillon of Belgium’s University of Liege. The James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled to launch in 2018, will be powerful enough to spot the signatures of other chemicals such as ozone and carbon dioxide. Finding a cocktail of these chemicals in the right amounts would be strong evidence something out there is alive.

If someone could stand on one of these planets, he or she would see a salmon-colored sun brighter than the moon but dimmer than our own sun, Triaud says. If that observer looked up, he says, “the spectacle would be beautiful, because every now and then you’d see another planet, maybe twice as big as the moon in the sky, depending on which planet you’re on and which planet you’re looking at.”

The researchers say with luck they’ll know in a decade whether there are signs of life near TRAPPIST-1. “People will get more and more news about this system in the coming months and years,” Gillon says. “The story is really just beginning.”

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 6:19 pm 

Quote:
If someone could stand on one of these planets, he or she would see a salmon-colored sun brighter than the moon but dimmer than our own sun, Triaud says. If that observer looked up, he says, “the spectacle would be beautiful, because every now and then you’d see another planet, maybe twice as big as the moon in the sky, depending on which planet you’re on and which planet you’re looking at.”

WANT TO GO THERE NOW

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 6:20 pm 
Poster of the Year

same

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 7:41 pm 

So after reading that whole article, there was a line in there that struck me. Paraphrasing: "life would evolve differently on other planets". So this may be a dumb question, but does life on another planet have to evolve to such that it still is carbon-base, oxygen-breathing, etc.? How do we know that something couldn't evolve to survive on whatever gases are prevalent on a specific planet?

I know, I'm just being a rube...

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 7:53 pm 
Poster of the Year

we don't, but we look for carbon based life with traces of oxygen or methane because we know that's a system that works, instead of searching for theoretical forms of life that may or may not exist

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 8:07 pm 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
So after reading that whole article, there was a line in there that struck me. Paraphrasing: "life would evolve differently on other planets". So this may be a dumb question, but does life on another planet have to evolve to such that it still is carbon-base, oxygen-breathing, etc.? How do we know that something couldn't evolve to survive on whatever gases are prevalent on a specific planet?

Like Zuckuss.

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 8:18 pm 
AnalLog

We're basically at a endless beach looking for a single grain of sand that matches up with our own single grain of sand.

This is damn crazy to find a system with at least three matches.

PostPosted: Thu February 23, 2017 12:10 am 
The Master

We're going to need to get there within the next couple years. Let's speed this up

What a time a time to be alive.

I can't believe stuff like this don't front page news. Amazing

PostPosted: Thu February 23, 2017 3:51 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

fuck yeah trappist-1

that is all

PostPosted: Thu February 23, 2017 3:53 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

speaking of stuff, mark your calendars for August 21, yos

PostPosted: Thu February 23, 2017 4:05 am 
Poster of the Year

u wot m8

PostPosted: Wed March 01, 2017 10:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/did-the-oscars-just-prove-that-we-are-living-in-a-computer-simulation

PostPosted: Thu March 02, 2017 1:38 pm 

welp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate