The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our universe is so rad!
PostPosted: Mon June 26, 2017 9:52 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

malice wrote:
I'd be pretty worried about the ensuing worldwide panic that will undoubtedly accompany that kind of announcement if the life were intelligent and been f-ing around the neighborhood for the last couple thousand years or so...

I'm all for it. This world needs a good shake up.

PostPosted: Mon June 26, 2017 9:54 pm 
Poster of the Year

malice wrote:
I'd be pretty worried about the ensuing worldwide panic that will undoubtedly accompany that kind of announcement if the life were intelligent and been f-ing around the neighborhood for the last couple thousand years or so...

BUILD THE WALL!

PostPosted: Mon June 26, 2017 9:55 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon June 26, 2017 10:18 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
malice wrote:

BUILD THE WALL!

The only difference between us and them is that our ancestors were down here when the wall went up.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 12:59 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

WELP. No announcement:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 09791.html

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 6:28 pm 
post-structuralist

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

:( i was kinda hoping for worldwide panic

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 11:48 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

malice wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

:( i was kinda hoping for worldwide panic

God dammit. I stocked the basement with 300 tins of baked beans for nothing.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 11:49 pm 
The Master

I'm not convinced it would cause a panic.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 2:02 am 
post-structuralist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I'm not convinced it would cause a panic.

Im not saying absolutely it would, i think it would be completely dependent on the alien life itself.

Did anyone watch the syfy interpretation of childhood's end a couple years back, i think? The biggest takeaway i think it offered was the basic breakdown of the cultures of the world. In a literal sense.
Everything believed in everywhere was torn down once the aliens revealed themselves.
The book was like that too if no one's familiar with it.

My post was joking, but i think there's a good deal of intrinsic value to the idea that people in general have a very small/short perspective about life and the meaning of it all. Being faced with harsh realities about god, or our purpose, or lack of purpose in the universe messes with that kind of perspective, and most people don't know how to handle it.

I can't help but think were aliens to come here, and have the ability to communicate with us, the core of a lot of belief systems would be shaken pretty heavily. And with that comes a ton of repercussions...

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 2:16 am 
The Master

I doubt many people's belief systems would change. At least not immediately. They would find ways to rationalize.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 2:39 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I doubt many people's belief systems would change. At least not immediately. They would find ways to rationalize.

I tend to think this would be the way it is, too. The world would still be very tribalized, and people would be able to convince themselves that this doesn't change anything--not just religious people, but that's a big part of it.

Burt can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Star Trek's whole conceit that once humans were contacted we forgot about all of our disagreements and set out to explore the universe? That shit wouldn't fly in real life.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 2:42 am 
Rank This Poster

People hold on tighter to their beliefs and systems in time of uncertainty, not abandon them.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:11 am 
post-structuralist

Im always so impressed with how stupid i am and how smart everyone else is, i apologize for being the board dimwit.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:12 am 
The Master

:|

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:32 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

run2death wrote:
People hold on tighter to their beliefs and systems in time of uncertainty, not abandon them.

I'm proof that this isn't always true

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:33 am 

But you know, whatever

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:35 am 
Poster of the Year

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:37 am 
post-structuralist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
:|

The thing is, if someone else had made the kind of post i made before, honestly expressing an opinion that really wasnt designed to invite disagreement, but nothing more than a hypothetical offering , i don't think theyd get the responses i get here on this board. But whatever, i have no proof on that either. Only experience in posting here for a long time. At this point its just one of those things that comes naturally on rm, disagree with mary because I have a sharp tongue (although no worse than most other people here imo) and a tendency towards being an asshole, like everyone, again, except im not in part of the general consensus most of the time and am usually stubborn enough to keep arguing a point. So why fight it? I dont think you guys think very highly of me, and whatever, again, im butthurt or something im sure, so i don't see much reason to keep fighting, so i give up and comment on my resignation in the matter, and that gets me shit too. Why bother? I figured this forum would garner less disagreement, especially in a short discussion about alien life, and it's not gd, so sure, I'll comment about my thoughts on the subject, but fuck it. you all know more than me about life the universe and Douglas Adams or something so you win at the internet, and where's dev? doesn't he want in on this too?
nevermind, im tired and sick to boot, im sure this is just me fucking up as usual, carry on with expounding on all of your insights re: everything. You guys got it all going on

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:38 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I'm terrified of finding aliens, but I really want to see it happen all the same.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 3:39 am 
post-structuralist

The Argonaut wrote:
I'm terrified of finding aliens, but I really want to see it happen all the same.

too late, i already hate you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate